Wheels: Aero, 170 grams lighter, and thinner or thick, more stable, and bombproof?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CAMSHAFT

by CAMSHAFT

So it’s not apples to apples but, it’s a comparison with the same tire. With the Hed wheels the tire balloons out to 28 plus as opposed to the FSE wheel the tire stays at 25. There is a noticeable difference is comfort in the added 2.54 cm. Also I think the Hed is more stable at power. Yes, the FSE is stiff and responsive. Also there is a noticeable aero pull. I can’t really talk about braking until the EE brakes are on. What is everyone else’s thoughts.

Hed Ardennes Sl+

FSE 45 EVO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

morganb

by morganb

It depends on what you are doing? Daily driver? The HEDs all day, I love wide rims for general riding, and racing for that matter. If you are racing and its good tarmac then the others.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Beaver

by Beaver

The FSE will have a one digit watt benefit at 45kmph (450 watts needed overall in the drops) - so not really noticable. But they should be more stable in crosswinds despite the higher rim (what do you mean by aero pull?). The HED will allow you to run a much lower pressure without sacrificing tire performance though. Best of both worlds would be a rim with 21mm inside and at least 28mm outside.

CAMSHAFT

by CAMSHAFT

Beaver wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:50 pm
what do you mean by aero pull?
Its hard to explain but, these feel like a sail sometimes.

CallumRD1

by CallumRD1

CAMSHAFT wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 2:56 am
Beaver wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 6:50 pm
what do you mean by aero pull?
Its hard to explain but, these feel like a sail sometimes.
That’s called the placebo effect! (The aerodynamic gains of the deeper wheel will be so small as to be unnoticeable at any given moment.)