Getting my new wheels from the USA to Australia

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

auscyclist

by auscyclist

Hey guys,

So I work in a bike shop in Adelaide, South Australia and have purchased my dream wheels from someone in Ann Arbor, MI, America.

My question is, does anyone know how I can get the wheels to me in the easiest way possible.

Whether it be courier or through someones bike shop, any ideas are welcome.

Thanks heaps,

Josh

KH1

by KH1

USPS has a size limit so if you get them sent via post you'll have to cut down the size of the box really well, find a box that fits the size requirements or get them sent separately - USPS has a good calculator on their website so I'd start there. The alternatives are more expensive international courier services like UPS or Fedex.
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petal666

by petal666

Get them to send the wheels to shipitto.com and they will forward to you. A standard bike box comes up as costing $187 via DHL. There are a few hidden fees so it is likely to be around $210. The best bit is that you can value them at what you want so can avoid GST (not that I condone that kind of activity), but that will be the insured value so it's a risk you take.

chocy

by chocy

The cheapest option is to send it via USPS global priority.
The usual wheel box is under their size limit and it shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers!
------------------------------------------------
My Colnago EPS http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=83064&start=45

Cbonde

by Cbonde

I've had a wheelset sent from Salt Lake City Utah to my small town in Denmark without a hint of trouble. It was sent with USPS Priority Mail International. The mailling adress was my personal adress. However, I had to collect it at the Danish Royal Mail because it went through customs. I think it took about 10 days for the package to arrive i Denmark.

petal666

by petal666

chocy wrote:The cheapest option is to send it via USPS global priority.
The usual wheel box is under their size limit and it shouldn't be a problem.

Cheers!

It's not only the usps size limit you need to worry about, it's the size limit of auspost as well. If usps check the limit in aus as well they will not send. A wheel box is outside auspost dimensional limits.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

Ive never had any problems using USPS to Australia for wheelsets. I was not aware that Oz Post had any limits - I've never had problems shipping wheels or receiving them - even Fulcrums which have larger boxes have passed without problem - you learn something everday. In my experience if USPS accept the package your are fine - some wheelbuilders in US have noted that wheelboxes are right on the limit and on a bad day they may not be accepted.
Good Luck
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

petal666

by petal666

Click on 'calculate postage' on the auspost website, and put in the dimensions of a shimano wheel box which is pretty standard (82x66x17cm) and see how you go :) Some shops will ship, others won't.

The point is, sometimes USPS will check the allowable box dimensions in the country that they ship to, and won't ship bigger than that. Luckily the German or UK shops do no such thing ans I've had some massive boxes delivered through them via auspost.

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

dadoflam08 wrote:Ive never had any problems using USPS to Australia for wheelsets. I was not aware that Oz Post had any limits - I've never had problems shipping wheels or receiving them - even Fulcrums which have larger boxes have passed without problem - you learn something everday. In my experience if USPS accept the package your are fine - some wheelbuilders in US have noted that wheelboxes are right on the limit and on a bad day they may not be accepted.
Good Luck

Have to update this - just tried buying some vintage bike rims from a seller in the US - approx $250USD shipping regardless of whether you use USPS, FedEx, DHL etc etc. as the total measurement of a wheelbox (girth + height) significantly exceeds the maximum USPS allowance before you are forced to use their very expensive Global Express Guarantee service (which is same price as the private shippers) The bike shops I have dealt with gets a bulk discount. Once you are looking at an individual wheelset and can't access a discount you're sunk.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

claus

by claus

I got wheels from the UK via Parcelforce and USPS without a problem, and I got wheels delivered within the US with USPS without a problem. So either USPS doesn't really care much about size limits or I got lucky
several times.

Currently I'm trying to get wheels from Germany (via DHL and USPS) and it seems those are "lost" by DHL
(according to their tracking the packet is still in Germany for the last 5 weeks...). Of course those wheels are by far the most expensive I ever bought...

bJay

by bJay

Ive lost count of the number of pairs of wheels that have either been shipped to me (from Europe and the US) and that I have shipped (around Aus). One shop consistently tell me "no" for wheels when sending, so I go to the other shop around the corner (Im talking about AUSPOST shops). Never had problems with them delivering to me.

B
a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in lycra

Life is like riding a bicycle - in order to keep your balance, you must keep moving.
Albert Einstein

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

To date this is definitely a US to Oz issue - no problems from UK or Europe or within Oz. It has also changed in the last couple of years - USPS were fairly casual a couple of years ago - now they seem to be on it more consistently.

KCookie

by KCookie

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

JScycle

by JScycle

I live in Australia and shipped some wheels interstate. The first postoffice I went to said the box was too big and told be to go to the Aus post business centre. I went there and they were happy to send it.