the next big idea thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

dcj9

by dcj9

heres my list

another vote for disc brakes on road bikes.
with the popularity of deep carbon rims its surely only a matter of time before the UCI cracks on the current ban.

secondly, the rise of integrated electronics and things like anti-lock anti-skid systems.

finally, battery powered pedal racing bikes (although the only time i mentioned it before on this forum it was nearly the end of my career :oops:

elviento

by elviento

Disc brakes have already been used on road bikes. I can easily think of 3-4 manufacturers that have done it.

anti-lock, anti-skid etc. are these really necessary?

When we say next big idea, are we referring to a lighter and faster "racing" bike, or are we referring to the more convenient and pleasurable machine for casual riding?

dcj9 wrote:heres my list

another vote for disc brakes on road bikes.
with the popularity of deep carbon rims its surely only a matter of time before the UCI cracks on the current ban.

secondly, the rise of integrated electronics and things like anti-lock anti-skid systems.

finally, battery powered pedal racing bikes (although the only time i mentioned it before on this forum it was nearly the end of my career :oops:
Fast falcons: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3mTPEuFcWk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
www.falcobike.com
Facebook: falcobikeglobal

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

swinter

by swinter

bikejunkie wrote:My Idea is with the Shimano Di2 system with automatic shifting. With todays head units displaying power,GPS, cadence, alttitude heart rate and speed the headunit would process that information and give the correct gear for the terrain for a given speed it would also know when your suffering on a climb with low cadence high heartrate and low power then it would change up or if your on a flat you and spinning a too fast cadence it would change down.

It may not seem to cool to us, but it seems logically inevitable. And certainly more likely than :laughat: "mind control" shifting. http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=90757&start=0
"I can't understand why people are frightened by new ideas. I'm frightened of old ones." -- John Cage

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/phpBB ... 928#126928

Camilo

by Camilo

In stating my dream improvement, I will claim two "truths" (which may or may not be true, but I think they kind of are).

1. Most of the most high end bikes are sold to people who do not race, maybe are fairly active fitness riders, but maybe not. They just like to ride and have nice gear.

2. Furthermore, by far most bikes in general are low end bikes sold to very casual riders and people who have no interest in performance aside from they want the bike to work all the time with a minimum of knowledge required and certainly no tinkering. They need gears but don't really benefit or like the muss and fuss of derailleurs and two shifters. They want what they're looking for in cars and major appliances. Total ease of operation, total reliability. No knowledge required.

OK, so the next great improvement which will be sold gang busters to the general public, but will also get the interest of high end users and maybe even racers is.....

Single control shifting with the full range of front/back derailleur bikes. One shifting control that spans the entire range (as an example, my wife's beloved hybrid) from 44-11 to 28-32 or even more. Obviously, the actual range would depend on the user's desires, but it needs to have a large range, beyond what internal hubs or 1X10 type bikes currently have. But the single control is needed to eliminate the "when do I shift the front, when do I shift the back" business which to us affectionados is just part of the sport, but to the masses of casual users and even regular enthusiasts is just a mystery.

Will this be a extreme wide range internal hub type of thing with a single control or a perfectly functioning, maintenance free, front/back two derailleur automatic electronic smart shifter, I don't know. But this is the only significant technological improvement that will actually make cycling more enjoyable and more efficient to most users.

si1ver
Shop Owner

by si1ver

Built in Power measuring unit at all high end Groupset .

The drivetrain that is able to detect rpm and automatically changes gear to keep up with desire power or cadence .

and oh yeah . everything tubeless on both road and mtb .making tubes the thing of the past .

Colin

by Colin

Camilo wrote:OK, so the next great improvement which will be sold gang busters to the general public, but will also get the interest of high end users and maybe even racers is.....

Single control shifting with the full range of front/back derailleur bikes. One shifting control that spans the entire range (as an example, my wife's beloved hybrid) from 44-11 to 28-32 or even more. Obviously, the actual range would depend on the user's desires, but it needs to have a large range, beyond what internal hubs or 1X10 type bikes currently have. But the single control is needed to eliminate the "when do I shift the front, when do I shift the back" business which to us affectionados is just part of the sport, but to the masses of casual users and even regular enthusiasts is just a mystery.

Will this be a extreme wide range internal hub type of thing with a single control or a perfectly functioning, maintenance free, front/back two derailleur automatic electronic smart shifter, I don't know. But this is the only significant technological improvement that will actually make cycling more enjoyable and more efficient to most users.

http://reviews.mtbr.com/i-shifter-integrated-shifting-system

rustychain

by rustychain

What on earth is so hard about shifting gears? I mean really, besides the added weight, cost, durability questions and giving up the ability to fix your own bike, will auto shifting make your bike faster? Do we really need to dumb down cyclist by making our bikes (questionably) smarter. Remember K.I.S.S.
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

bikejunkie

by bikejunkie

rustychain wrote:What on earth is so hard about shifting gears? I mean really, besides the added weight, cost, durability questions and giving up the ability to fix your own bike, will auto shifting make your bike faster? Do we really need to dumb down cyclist by making our bikes (questionably) smarter. Remember K.I.S.S.

Who said this thread was about making your bike faster? it about new ideas, wheres yours?

Maybe you should stick to your old 'rustychain' whilst everyone else moves on.

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Colin wrote:
Camilo wrote:OK, so the next great improvement which will be sold gang busters to the general public, but will also get the interest of high end users and maybe even racers is.....

http://reviews.mtbr.com/i-shifter-integrated-shifting-system

Already demonstrated in Di2 form: synchronous shifting

http://fairwheelbikes.com/cycling-blog/ ... -29er.html

Or alternatively, one can fit one of these :

http://www.fallbrooktech.com/08_bicycle_home.asp

A full 360% gear range, with only 1 gear twist knob.

A typical roadbike with a 34/50 & 11/25 setup has only a range of (34/25: )1.36 > (50/11:) 4.5454 a total range of only 318.5% . :shock: