Lighting...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

RichTheRoadie
Tinker, Taylor, Tart

by RichTheRoadie

USE Exposure MaXx - I use the Enduro which is an older model. The joystick is a great little light though.

Can't be beaten for power, style and compactness.

Cornel

by Cornel

To those of you who already have a Lupine light, I wanted to share my experience regarding replacement batteries.

Open Light offer cheaper replacement batteries for Lupine, Magicshine and a few others, and since they also claim a higher run time in addition to being about £70 cheaper, I bought a replacement Lupine battery from them in late October 2011. The run time was never quite as advertised (i.e. it was, if anything, slightly shorter than the original Lupine battery pack), but I don't terribly mind - a little under 2 hours with a Betty 7 on the maximum setting.

However, within a few weeks, the light started cutting out, especially on bumpier ride. I assumed this was an issue with the switch and had this replaced at a cost of £70, but the problem persisted . I changed back to my old lupine battery, and the fault didn't occur, so there is obviously a loose contact located somewhere in the Open Light battery. I returned the battery, explaining the problem in detail. The only response I got was that they couldn't find the fault and returned the battery without further comment, even though it is still under warranty.

I am not sure what their thinking could possibly be - if there was no fault with the battery, why would I spend the time and money to send it to them?

The wider point though is that it illustrates that it really isn't worth the risk. If I had bought a Lupine battery, I could simply send the whole lot back to them and make sure they deal with it - once you mix components, no one takes overall responsibility and simply blames the other manufacturer. Given the cost for the new switch and having to buy yet another replacement battery less than a year later now, I have wasted £200 on the Open Light battery.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sawyer

by sawyer

On the front a Lezyne Superdrive and a Knog Boomer. Both pretty cheap, and the alternate flashing catches the motorists' eye. The Lezyne is bright enough on full power to slow down traffic, even if it isn't in ay-up's league for dark road riding.
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

daj

by daj

kode54

by kode54

i use Lupine Betty on my road bike. off road, i'll use the Betty with a Ay Up on my helmet. Bought these way before Magic Shine came out. for the money, i would buy 2 magic shines and use that instead of the more expensive Betty. you'll have lots of $ leftover from that.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Most, if not all, my riding after dark is commuting on lit or semi lit streets, so the Lezyne Macro front & Micro rear are more than adequate. For more extended night riding I have an Exposure Joystick.

Kastrup

by Kastrup

I have been using one of the MagicShine offerings for two years now. Very durable design but wit won't stay in place on your bar when mtb'ing unless you do something to increase the friction between light and bar.

I have mostly been running it on my commuter and it has worked great!
"Stay cool and try to survive" A. Klier to the other members of the Garmin classics squad the night before P-R.

nickf

by nickf

I use a bike ray 1k lumin up front. Cost was 100 bucks. Don't see the need for anything more. Going song and on it's 2ND season. Out back I use a light in motion vis180. Super bright and self contained. $200+ on a bike light seems over kill. Even if it's made in Germany it's still only a bike light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2

TheRookie

by TheRookie

I use a £10 Lidl XPG torch on a £4 mount up front and a Moonshield 60 (shields the moon by producing* more light than it does I think).

*yes I know the moon is only really a reflector!
Impoverished weight weenie wanna-be!
Budget 26" HT build viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110956

Cyppen

by Cyppen

I have bought this one

Cree 2400 Lumens
Its the best light i ever tried. It beat all my 150+$ lights.

I will buy this you will never regret.
Search on ebay to find the seller you will like to buy from

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-T6-XML-XM- ... 19cf28429f" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thprice

by thprice

Cree XML T6 from ebay.
Less than $40
Almost too bright when on full power
Battery lasts for hours

toride

by toride

I use hope lights,not the most previous model but the vision 4 and the vision 2

the vision 4 off road is mega,its super bright on full can be a little to bright really so on the lesser setting visability is stil very good and battery power lasts between 3/7 hours when used with some conservation in mind.

the vision 2 when riding on the road at night is also well up to the job,i really like the size of the two, its small enough to have it bar mounted.

I recently saw the newest models havent used them only studied them,very small and compact,super light weight and the rear is so bright it should come with a health warning.

mdeth1313

by mdeth1313

light and motion seca 1400. A bunch of places were clearing them out a few months ago and I picked up a 2nd one for $260. Their optics give me plenty of fill so I can see critters off to my sides. My commute is pretty isolated and dark as all hell. I've used the seca 400, they're older HID models, magicshine and a serfas brand and I'm sticking w/ the 1400 (worth every freaking penny to me).
Speedplay is the devil!

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Niterider Pro 1200, which moved up to the 1400 the next year. I know the rep and he said there was no difference between the two models. Unfortunately mine has decided to yellow a bit, so I need to send it in and have it checked out. Niterider has great service in my opinion. I also have a Minewt cordless 600, changed to the Lumina 650 for this year, and I like it a lot. I use my lights for early morning road rides (just the 600) or night mountain bike rides. A friend just ordered some lights from China, so I'll have to see how his work before I get one :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com