Shimano Di2

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

parajba

by parajba

Does anybody know where I can download all the manuals? I have the 9170. E.g. installation, set-up, etube, the full thing.

by Weenie

TonyM

by TonyM

parajba wrote:Does anybody know where I can download all the manuals? I have the 9170. E.g. installation, set-up, etube, the full thing.
Here for example:

https://si.shimano.com/#/en/search/Seri ... &type=ROAD

parajba

by parajba

TonyM wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:30 am
parajba wrote:Does anybody know where I can download all the manuals? I have the 9170. E.g. installation, set-up, etube, the full thing.
Here for example:

Thanks a lot :oops:

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

I'm hoping for some help on di2 presets (in the E-Tube app). I have an Ultegra di2 setup currently, but wondering if it's easy to change between gear configurations if I were to swap between a 11-28T cassette and an 11-32T (or 34T). Do the E-Tube presets also save the indexing, or will there always be some manual adjustment required after changing the cassette?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Provided you are using the same make & model of cassette, indexing shouldn’t be any different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Indexing is the same but you need to adjust the B-screw setting as well as the chain length. Also to run the 11-32 or 11-34 you will need the long cage version of the RD (8050-GS).

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

Thanks ultimobici and pdlpsher1. I'm deciding on a new frame and was working out whether I could get away with one bike, or keep the current bike to set up for hills. But it sounds like I could swap between cassettes without too much hassle with a di2 setup.

brearley

by brearley

Looking for a bit of advice on a 1x di2 build in future.

I know I'll need rear mech, shifters and battery but what else is necessary.
I'm assuming I need wiring from rear mech to 3 port connector, then the other ports connecting to rh shifter and internal battery and charging port?
Lh shifter will not be connected to anything and I won't be getting the wireless unit either

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Schadenfreude wrote:Thanks ultimobici and pdlpsher1. I'm deciding on a new frame and was working out whether I could get away with one bike, or keep the current bike to set up for hills. But it sounds like I could swap between cassettes without too much hassle with a di2 setup.
You’re welcome. For reference I swap between two cassettes (11-32 and 11-34) on the same chain. I adjust the B screw with two full turns.

Swapping between the 11-28 and 11-34 will require a different length chain but it’s not too big of a hassle now that the Dura Ace chain includes a quick link.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:Thanks ultimobici and pdlpsher1. I'm deciding on a new frame and was working out whether I could get away with one bike, or keep the current bike to set up for hills. But it sounds like I could swap between cassettes without too much hassle with a di2 setup.
You’re welcome. For reference I swap between two cassettes (11-32 and 11-34) on the same chain. I adjust the B screw with two full turns.

Swapping between the 11-28 and 11-34 will require a different length chain but it’s not too big of a hassle now that the Dura Ace chain includes a quick link.

If you are using a GS cage mech there is no need to change the chain length. I swap between 11-25, 11-26 & 11-30 with a 9150 Dura Ace mech. If you’re using an Ultegra R8050GS and size the chain correctly, all that you need do is dial the b-screw.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:43 pm
I swap between 11-28 and 11-34 (also use an 11-32) on my gravel/cx bike, and I've never had to change chains or adjust my b-limit screw, and I've been doing this for years.

Also, the Shimano quick link is not reusable, so every time you swap chains, be prepared to replace the link (unless you're willing to risk it snapping during a hard effort).
Madone 9 - https://bit.ly/2Nqedbn
Emonda SLR - https://bit.ly/2UK5FP8
Crockett - https://bit.ly/2Xem4sk

Madone 5, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

^ Same.

I swap between an 11-30 and a 12-25. I have a RD-6870-SS (prev gen Ultegra Di2). Don’t need to change chain or adjust b-screw.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

LiquidCooled wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:46 pm
^ Same.

I swap between an 11-30 and a 12-25. I have a RD-6870-SS (prev gen Ultegra Di2). Don’t need to change chain or adjust b-screw.
Hrmmm...I have the same derailler (and short cage). I thought it only supported up to 28T cassettes.

Thanks for all the input on this. It's making a shift in frame (and sell off the current bike) a little more possible. I'm thinking of swapping between an 11-28T and 11-32/34T - for those that don't currently change the chain length with the RD-8050-GS (plan on picking one of these up soon), what method do you use to select the chain length?

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

Schadenfreude wrote:
LiquidCooled wrote:
^ Same.

Hrmmm...I have the same derailler (and short cage). I thought it only supported up to 28T cassettes.
Shimano tends to be conservative when specifying capacity. It’s often the case that their derailleurs can handle a larger range than what’s listed (depending on your frame geometry). Many people seem to be able to use an 11-32 with the 6870-SS. I haven’t pushed it that far. I suspect that would require a chain change. It may also degrade the shifting quality a bit (which I won’t accept).
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

by Weenie

Schadenfreude

by Schadenfreude

LiquidCooled wrote:
Schadenfreude wrote:
LiquidCooled wrote:
^ Same.

Shimano tends to be conservative when specifying capacity. It’s often the case that their derailleurs can handle a larger range than what’s listed (depending on your frame geometry). Many people seem to be able to use an 11-32 with the 6870-SS. I haven’t pushed it that far. I suspect that would require a chain change. It may also degrade the shifting quality a bit (which I won’t accept).
Yeah I’ve heard that, but I’m just not cluey enough to take the chance. I think I’ll grab an RD-8050-GS. I’ll doubt I’ll ever go lower than a 28T cassette anyway.