Shimano Di2

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

If I had the chance I would go with the di2 upgrade kit and the rest being 7800.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

lordconqueror

by lordconqueror

Any speculation on how much it would cost to get your Di2 programed for sequential shifting?

by Weenie

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

No a programmer tool but a checking tool. Would be great if you could.

Shimano Di2 System Checker

The Di2 System Checker checks systems that cannot be identified visually. Trouble shooting without System Checker can be very difficult and time consuming to successfully fix problems.

* System Checker offers the ability to change the functions of the rear derailleur and switches to either a “low normal” or “high normal”
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

dadoflam08

by dadoflam08

hey weight weenies - Di2 is your best friend! You know all those esoteric weight weenie components that promised weight loss but just never worked when you tried to use them - the Ti cassette that barely shifted, the lightweight jockey wheels with no float that slowed shifts, the carbon fibre chainrings which chipped teeth when you made a poor shift etc etc - Di 2 makes them work!
It's true - I have been progressively been changing the RD jockey wheels,changing chains and cassettes, fitting carbon chainrings etc and it works and works far better than you would have thought. The FD ensures precise exact shifts that protect the carbon chainrings and RD makes shifts happen. To date the only combo that hasn't worked well has been KCNC jockey wheels with Omni racer Ti cassette - (fixed it by fitting Extralite jockeys instead) True the RD shifting is not as crisp as the full Di2/7900 setup but its as good as SRAM red.
'83 De Rosa+'11 Baum Corretto+'08 BMC Pro Machine >6kg+'86 Pinarello Team +'72 Cinelli SC +'58 Bianchi+'71 Cinelli SC+'78 Masi GC+'83 La Redoute Motobecane+'94 Banesto Pegoretti+'88 Bianchi X4 +'48 Super Elliott+'99 Look Kg281+'18 Pegoretti

eigner

by eigner

My Parlee runs DI 2 with Fibrelyte chainrings, Recon/Ceradure cassette and carbonfibre jockey wheels. Shifting is super!
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

williamsf1

by williamsf1

anyone have any tips on setting up Di2....

I seem to have everything perfect, but the shift quality up from the bottom i.e. 11 > back to 12 13 etc etc... isn't that good or takes 2 cracks at it!!

when ever I trim it in the test function to make it go up correctly, it then will hang and not go to the 11....

hmmmm ideas?

eigner

by eigner

hm.. checked that your rear der hanger is straight?
Current: Colnago CX Zero Di2 Disc, Cannondale F29 carbon3
Previous: Scott Plasma 3 premium, Parlee Z3SL, Parlee Z4, Argon18 E112, TREK TTX7.0, S-Works Transition, Pinarello F4:13

williamsf1

by williamsf1

what is an easy way to check?

Its a wheel works one for what it is worth....

maxxevv

by maxxevv

i) Check that your limit screws have been set correctly.

ii) Next check your derailleur "B-screw" and adjust the position that gets your pulley closest to the cogs without creating too much noise.

Follow the installation manual that comes with the groupset closely (exactly is the best of course). If it still does not work, get your LBS to check for the derailleur hanger alignment with the proper tools. Most likely its (i).

williamsf1

by williamsf1

yep I did all that...

and it shifts amazingly on the road (today following the Tour Down Under stage 1) but isnt as crisp on the way back up again...

the front shift is just so bloody good it is not funny!!! and that is with carbon rings and zipp compact cranks!!!

lordconqueror

by lordconqueror

another neat thing that i have been meaning to bring up on this site - a guy in my cycling club who sells his own lights is experimenting with a light setup that runs off the di2 battery.

musgravecycles

by musgravecycles

check your der. hanger is straight...

williamsf1

by williamsf1

so how do you check it???

rgkicksbutt

by rgkicksbutt

maxxevv wrote:If it still does not work, get your LBS to check for the derailleur hanger alignment with the proper tools. Most likely its (i).

answered about 5 posts above. there is a tool that threads into derailleur hanger and then uses the rim as a reference point to see if its aligned all around

maxxevv

by maxxevv

rgkicksbutt wrote:
maxxevv wrote:If it still does not work, get your LBS to check for the derailleur hanger alignment with the proper tools. Most likely its (i).

answered about 5 posts above. there is a tool that threads into derailleur hanger and then uses the rim as a reference point to see if its aligned all around

What is being referred to is this:

http://www.parktool.com/product/deraill ... nt-gauge-1

However, based on what I've tried with normal derailleurs as well as Di2. Its most likely (in order of probability) a case of :

i) the limit screws not set correctly.

ii) the chain is just that pair of links too long. Hence, resulting in a very slack chainline, not engaging quickly enough at the smallest cog(s).

iii) The B-screw not adequately adjusted.

The derailleur hanger being off is a bit of a long shot, if it was, you'll get shifting issues throughout the range of the gears. Not just specifically smallest 1 or 2 cogs only.

Hope the above is of help. :beerchug:

by Weenie