Shimano Di2

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

JesseD

by JesseD

After having a 30 second play about with this yesterday at my LBS, I have been wondering how the hell I have survived my 24 year cycling career without this piece of kit??? :shock: :noidea:

I WANT!!!!!! 8)

maxxevv

by maxxevv

Its not too late ... (though you are a little late in finding out about it !) ... Go get one !! :thumbup:

JesseD

by JesseD

I knew about it but being a campag man thought it was just fad and couldn't understand what all the fuss was about, now I can :thumbup:

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Campagnolo will make available the 11 speed electronic version next year to consumers.

I'll jump in when the electronic version is common place.

Until then the current shifting is crisp and precise.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

I used to think di2 was just a nice bling thing, fun but not necessary....
until I spent a lot of time riding my back-up bike without it.

di2 = Zero mis-shifts, more accurate shifting and use of your gears, and pure heaven when you top a hill to shift that front chainring and mash,
and the biggest thing for me ----clean easy shifting under load

When I went back to ultegra/105 I was surprised at the difficulty I had shifting while standing

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

A properly tuned ergo shifter and derailleur will work precisely as it's intended to do.

We are still using the same chain and cassette that is made for ergo shifting.

You can almost make an analogy here between manual and automatic transmission shifting.

For those that like to maintain their bike drive train they will need to learn some electronics.

For those who do not, your wallet will be a lot lighter :lol:
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

roadman

by roadman

Never shift when standing! :smartass:

When will Di2 have crash replacement insurance?

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Because the likely occurrence of an epic bike fail or face plant is much higher.

Something like this, only this guy isn't shifting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8nNOQOh7dc

reggiebaseball

by reggiebaseball

except I can with no problems, and no excessive drivetrain wear, no chance of dropping a chain ever, thanks to Di2, isn't that a good thing?

Kasparz

by Kasparz

Johnny Rad wrote:Why "never stand and shift?" Seriously.

Well, I stand and shift if I need to, I just decrease my power when shifting.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

reggiebaseball wrote:no chance of dropping a chain ever, thanks to Di2, isn't that a good thing?

Of course it is :lol:

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Kasparz wrote:
Johnny Rad wrote:Why "never stand and shift?" Seriously.

Well, I stand and shift if I need to, I just decrease my power when shifting.

Why would you need to decrease your power to shift? That kinda defeats the purpose of needing to shift for an attack. Here I'm talking about standing and shifting while climbing.
Something like what happened to Andy Schleck last year.

On flat roads I usually shift then sprint.
On hills shift then stand and climb.

On properly tuned derailleurs you can stand and shift also.

We are talking about many variables here: weight of the person on the bike, torsional stiffness of the frame, how well the drive train is set, what gear you are shifting to etc.

I can see failure happening on Di2 as well so please don't make the mistake of saying that it will never fail.

rustychain

by rustychain

Chuck Norris has nothing on Di2
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

maxxevv

by maxxevv

stella-azzurra wrote:Campagnolo will make available the 11 speed electronic version next year to consumers.

I'll jump in when the electronic version is common place.

Until then the current shifting is crisp and precise.

Would certainly like to see the contrast in your stance on electronic shifting once Campag comes out with theirs. :roll: