Campagnolo white grease safe for bolts and threads?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

hrailone

by hrailone

Is it safe to use the Campagnolo special white bearing grease for bolts and threads?
Yesterday I dissasembled the seatpost clamp and I realized that the bolt was a bit rusted so I decided to apply a thin coat of grease before reassembling it. In the tightening process the thread (not the bolt) stripped bellow 7 Nm with the torque wrench when I usually applied this tightening torque before. I don't know if the grease caused the overtightening or the thread was damaged before (its a 2003 year alu frame model) as it was smoother to torque it with the grease. What do you think ?

Cheers !!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Grease is grease whether you use campagnolo, phil wood, lithium, automotive axle grease etc.. And applying grease to threads does not cause them to strip. Pure coincidence. Your wrench could be out of spec. I personally do not use a torque wrench to tighten bolts.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree