2011 FELT

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

User avatar
53x12
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 am
Location: On the bike

by 53x12

"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

NGMN
Posts: 1536
Joined: Mon May 30, 2005 7:13 am

by NGMN

The 51 geometry looks much more in line with what other companies are doing but still fairly low for their reach.

SuperDave
in the industry
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:57 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Contact:

by SuperDave

prendrefeu wrote:...waiting for Super Dave to chime in about this frame....

any second now... come on man, we know you're reading these forums, tell us more about the 2011 Felt lineup.


I'm happy to answer any of your questions. I'm sure you don't want me to just blab some prepared marketing material or repost our press release. What are you interested in exactly?

-SD

SuperDave
in the industry
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:57 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Contact:

by SuperDave

DuncanS wrote:Does anyone have info on the 2011 AR's?

I'm particularly interested in AR3, trying to determine whether it's worth the wait for '11 model. I have an idea what the component upgrades will be, but wondering if price (in Aus) is expected to be similar to '10 or higher? Also haven't been able to determine whether the frame composition is the same or has been improved upon. Also curious if weight has come down any.

Thanks


Frame weight drops ~40g, stiffness is up about 5% at the head tube. The 2011 AR3 uses the SRAM RED cranks, not the S900 version like the 2010. Wheels are the new premium SRAM S30 Race. The prices are set by our Aussie distributor, and I don't have their 2011 price list available, sorry.

-SD

DuncanS
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:42 pm

by DuncanS

Thanks for the info SD.

I gather the crank upgrade includes the ceramic BB? Sounds like you've cleaned up all the 'weak links' in the AR3 package. Now I've just got to hang out 'til stock comes in in October and hope the Aus price point doesn't jump up too much.

User avatar
53x12
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 am
Location: On the bike

by 53x12

SuperDave wrote:
I'm happy to answer any of your questions. I'm sure you don't want me to just blab some prepared marketing material or repost our press release. What are you interested in exactly?

-SD


SD,
I love all the info regarding the new "Inside-out build process" as it sounds well thought out and cutting edge. I guess I would be curious to hear what some of the numbers you guys got from testing out the frame stiffness? We know the frame will come in at around ~800g, but will it be a noodle? Sounds like you guys fixed that from the previous model, but would be nice to hear if you had any numbers to share.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

SuperDave
in the industry
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:57 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Contact:

by SuperDave

53x12 wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
I'm happy to answer any of your questions. I'm sure you don't want me to just blab some prepared marketing material or repost our press release. What are you interested in exactly?

-SD


SD,
I love all the info regarding the new "Inside-out build process" as it sounds well thought out and cutting edge. I guess I would be curious to hear what some of the numbers you guys got from testing out the frame stiffness? We know the frame will come in at around ~800g, but will it be a noodle? Sounds like you guys fixed that from the previous model, but would be nice to hear if you had any numbers to share.


The frame is 40% stiffer at the head tube, 20% at the BB, the fork is 20% stiffer laterally, but only ~2% stiffer fore-aft. This was a key part of making the bike retain it's incredible ride quality and planted feel. It is difficult to get so much more stiffness out of the bike without it getting harsh, and choppy on no-so-smooth tarmac. We've tested many of the bikes in the last Tour magazine test here at our R&D Facility including many 2010 models from our competitors. The bike sets the high mark on stiffness on almost all of the absolute tests, but it is the STW that is off the charts.

-SD

User avatar
giant man
Posts: 974
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:39 pm
Location: Essex / Lincs UK
Contact:

by giant man

SuperDave wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:...waiting for Super Dave to chime in about this frame....

any second now... come on man, we know you're reading these forums, tell us more about the 2011 Felt lineup.


I'm happy to answer any of your questions. I'm sure you don't want me to just blab some prepared marketing material or repost our press release. What are you interested in exactly?

-SD

AR1 - any pics or availability info as yet, or later in the year?

SuperDave
in the industry
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:57 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Contact:

by SuperDave

giant man wrote:
SuperDave wrote:
prendrefeu wrote:...waiting for Super Dave to chime in about this frame....

any second now... come on man, we know you're reading these forums, tell us more about the 2011 Felt lineup.


I'm happy to answer any of your questions. I'm sure you don't want me to just blab some prepared marketing material or repost our press release. What are you interested in exactly?

-SD

AR1 - any pics or availability info as yet, or later in the year?


The 2011 AR1 should arrive in the USA sometime around the end of the month. I don't have a photo uploaded anywhere, drop me an email and I'll get one converted and sent off to you.

-SD

tranzformer
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:36 pm

by tranzformer

The '11 AR1 looks hot. I love the paint scheme. I know the older AR series wasn't as well received by riders and reviewers. Hopefully this has been fixed on this model.


Here are some pics of the ARI from Felt.

Image

Image

Image

Image

SuperDave, any weight numbers yet on the AR1 frame? I thought I heard somewhere you shed some weight on it?

SuperDave
in the industry
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:57 am
Location: Newport Beach, CA
Contact:

by SuperDave

tranzformer wrote:The '11 AR1 looks hot. I love the paint scheme. I know the older AR series wasn't as well received by riders and reviewers. Hopefully this has been fixed on this model.


Here are some pics of the ARI from Felt.

Image

Image

Image

Image

SuperDave, any weight numbers yet on the AR1 frame? I thought I heard somewhere you shed some weight on it?


I can't find one bad review on the 2010 AR line up. I know there is some criticism of the ride quality from the 2008 and 2009 AR bikes. Can you point me to a 2010 negative review? AR1 frame for 2010 is 1040g. Complete bike starts at 6.6kg for the AR0 (Zero).

tranzformer
Posts: 875
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:36 pm

by tranzformer

@ SD, sorry I should have been more specific by saying I meant the '08-09 frame.

worstshotever
Posts: 573
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2009 10:07 pm

by worstshotever

I really like the looks, at least, of the new line up. Gorgeous bikes. And the numbers like promising as well. Never had a chance to ride Felt, but I really would like to check it out.

User avatar
prendrefeu
Posts: 8609
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California
Contact:

by prendrefeu

Having recently had to pack a bike for a friend that is traveling, I must say: ISPs suck, and I'm quite thankful that Felt and other manufacturers have kept with the separate seat post component.

The benefits of having an ISP are negligible at best - even the 'weight saved' is debatable. The benefits of a separate seat post are numerous.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

User avatar
giant man
Posts: 974
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:39 pm
Location: Essex / Lincs UK
Contact:

by giant man

I would love to hear comparisons between the '10 and '11 models of the AR1. Ride and stiffness and how good the current 2010 model is. How does it actually ride? To my untrained eye, the frame looks the same as the 2010 one, but I'm wondering how different it actually is in terms of carbon construction, etc.

Any pics of the Team Issue or is it waaaay too early for that, I'm guessing it is .......

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post