"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

KWalker
Posts: 5858
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:30 pm
Location: Bay Area

by KWalker

tl;dr again?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

User avatar
prendrefeu
Posts: 8609
Joined: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: Los Feliz, Los Angeles, California
Contact:

by prendrefeu

Tldr? Really?

Ok:

Your argument is invalid.
Period.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

petepeterson
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:58 am
Location: 604

by petepeterson

Fair point on Wurf's newness KW. But would you agree though that he would be much better informed than you or other skeptical fans on what is going within the veulta peloton?

Point being that if there were any rumors (like Vini Fantini in the giro) or doubts about Horner within the group don't you think Wurf would have heard? And if he heard do you think he would risk looking like a fool in print? To me that holds a lot of weight.

For the record I don't really care if he did or didn't but I thought Wurf's diary said a lot more than other riders not saying anything.

User avatar
dj97223
Posts: 663
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:27 pm

by dj97223

KW:

Several riders, who weren't asked, and who wouldn't know one way or the other anyway, didn't say Horner was clean. Therefore, Horner must be dirty. Perfect logic! :roll:
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

User avatar
Rick
Posts: 2032
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:30 pm

by Rick

petepeterson wrote: And if he heard do you think he would risk looking like a fool in print? To me that holds a lot of weight. .


I really don't think the fear of "looking like a fool in print" has ever inhibited anyone on the nutterweb. :|

To be clear, I like Cam's article and believe it. But I just don't look to any single opinion on the net as the final word.

jooo
Posts: 1510
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:48 am

by jooo

KWalker wrote:
petepeterson wrote:That is true. So why is Cam Wurf so convinced?

http://cyclingtips.com.au/2013/09/cam-wurfs-vuelta-wrap-up-why-horner-deserved-the-win/

Dude has been in the peloton for a very short period of time. Doubt he's seen enough to prove anything.

very short period of time? 5 years as a pro with a couple of prior years as an amateur. A pro for about as long as Froome or EBH. Sounds like a real noob to me!

KWalker
Posts: 5858
Joined: Mon Dec 28, 2009 8:30 pm
Location: Bay Area

by KWalker

petepeterson wrote:Fair point on Wurf's newness KW. But would you agree though that he would be much better informed than you or other skeptical fans on what is going within the veulta peloton?

Point being that if there were any rumors (like Vini Fantini in the giro) or doubts about Horner within the group don't you think Wurf would have heard? And if he heard do you think he would risk looking like a fool in print? To me that holds a lot of weight.

For the record I don't really care if he did or didn't but I thought Wurf's diary said a lot more than other riders not saying anything.


I have never heard of any pro cyclist making an accusation of a rider before they're caught. We all hear all this 'the whole peloton was saying....' shit afterwards, but never before.

My argument can't be invalid since it isn't an argument. I think its a little weird, but I don't think its smoking gun proof or ties him to anything. Its more of an observation. I'm seeing very few people outside of Horner's team say anything positive and we saw a lot more riders saying positive things about Froome and Wiggo.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF
Posts: 3191
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:44 am
Contact:

by nathanong87

KWalker wrote:
petepeterson wrote:Fair point on Wurf's newness KW. But would you agree though that he would be much better informed than you or other skeptical fans on what is going within the veulta peloton?

Point being that if there were any rumors (like Vini Fantini in the giro) or doubts about Horner within the group don't you think Wurf would have heard? And if he heard do you think he would risk looking like a fool in print? To me that holds a lot of weight.

For the record I don't really care if he did or didn't but I thought Wurf's diary said a lot more than other riders not saying anything.


I have never heard of any pro cyclist making an accusation of a rider before they're caught. We all hear all this 'the whole peloton was saying....' shit afterwards, but never before


closest thing would probably be kittel tweeting about sayar in 2013 tour of turkey. I mean i dunno if other riders can say 'so and so is doping' but kittel seemed pretty vocal and pissed that sayar was leading the tour of turkey....which turned out to be a just reason.

xnavalav8r
Posts: 2643
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:09 pm

by xnavalav8r

KWalker wrote:
I have never heard of any pro cyclist making an accusation of a rider before they're caught.


I remember some guy named LeMond talking about some guy named Armstrong a while back...

User avatar
53x12
Posts: 3762
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:02 am
Location: On the bike

by 53x12

Didn't realize Lemond was still a pro rider in the peleton.
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

ultyguy
Posts: 2271
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:35 pm
Location: Geneva

by ultyguy

Degenkolb for Paris-Tours today, would love to see him win his first classic and he's got some form at the moment.

User avatar
HammerTime2
Posts: 5432
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

KWalker wrote:I have never heard of any pro cyclist making an accusation of a rider before they're caught.
Well I guess that depends on what KWalker's intended meaning of "they" is. If "they" refers to the accused, rather than the accuser, then there was a guy named Floyd, who made accusations against a then current Pro named Armstrong, and against himself, while being an active member of the U.S. domestic Pro peleton.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/may/28/sports/la-sp-floyd-landis-bahati-20100529
http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/03/news/floyd-landis-to-ride-for-bahati-foundation-team_107543

Not only that, but it seems that these accusations by the guy named Floyd played a, perhaps THE, critical role in bringing down the big fished named Armstrong. Now, if only the guy named Armstrong hadn't screwed the guy named Floyd, as perceived by Floyd, out of a job when Floyd's suspension ended 16 months earlier, then maybe the guy named Floyd wouldn't have ratted on the guy named Armstrong. And if the guy named Armstrong hadn't come out of retirement, then he wouldn't have been in a position to screw the guy named Floyd out of a job, thereby not incentivizing the guy named Floyd to rat out the guy named Armstrong.

User avatar
AGW
Posts: 477
Joined: Sun May 27, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: Tucson, AZ

by AGW

OK... KWalker was obviously referring to current riders heading to Twitter or making offhand remarks at a press conference about other current riders, ala Kittel re Tour of Turkey.

The WW version of dissent is very annoying to watch unfold. It seems to involve eloquently reaching to the edges of an argument in order to nitpick it to death. Floyd's accusation was made as a part of his own confession, and from the comfy seat of the US Pro scene... and a far, far cry from the Pro Tour.

I wouldn't be very moved if one of Horner's retired old Saturn teammates made an accusation about his recent win.

User avatar
Rob81
Posts: 500
Joined: Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:54 pm
Location: Northern Italy close to Gavia and Mortirolo
Contact:

by Rob81

KWalker wrote:I have never heard of any pro cyclist making an accusation of a rider before they're caught.


not long time ago:
https://twitter.com/marcelkittel/status ... 6539102208
and he was right...

ultyguy
Posts: 2271
Joined: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:35 pm
Location: Geneva

by ultyguy

ultyguy wrote:Degenkolb for Paris-Tours today, would love to see him win his first classic and he's got some form at the moment.


:-D

Locked
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post