"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Cyclingnews was once my favorite website to visit every single day. In recent years the journalism has really gone downhill and the formatting of the website is horrible but that's a separate issue. A lot of the articles lately read like the writers have been (poorly) outsourced.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

petepeterson

by petepeterson

Fair enough airwise:

kbbpll

by kbbpll

pastronef wrote:Velonews article by Caley Fretz (even if it is not abour Pro Cycling)

Amazing writing (about Colorado floods)

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/09/ ... top_303112" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A small part of me is selfishly sad that my favorite climbs are destroyed and won't be back for many months. But the helicopters are still flying over my house to evacuate people, even a week after it started. Glad to see there's some awareness of this even among people in Europe.

Monkeyboy3333

by Monkeyboy3333

tour of britain has been beating the grand tours in the excitement stakes, no race radios and attacks all over the place, all in the peeing rain and on naff roads. North wales was looking stunning today

Rodrego Hernandez

by Rodrego Hernandez

Monkeyboy3333 wrote:tour of britain has been beating the grand tours in the excitement stakes, no race radios and attacks all over the place, all in the peeing rain and on naff roads. North wales was looking stunning today

Good stage today, wish the 'pros' would stop moaning about not having radios. If they can't read a race they should take up sportive riding.

mrfish

by mrfish

Well, I don't think Horner was taking anything illegal when he rode the vuelta.

However, Horner should be asked to explain how he managed to spend years on teams stuffed with dopers and destroyed the US peloton at will for a few years with Danielson, yet never took anything. And Horner's answer to a pretty straightforward and very predictable question was poor. If I were his team press advisor I would have made him practice a detailed and reasoned rebuttal.

All in all I think Friebe is to be applauded for asking the question. A few years back he would not have dared.

ave

by ave

Friebe ??

Wingnut

by Wingnut

airwise wrote:
petepeterson wrote:Airwise: Just catching up here but I have to agree with @pred's points on your recent commentary.

The contrast in tone of your posts from July vs. Sept. is quite hilarious. In July you were despondent with this board full of uninformed amateur cycling fans who dared to cast doubt or question a remarkable (British) performance without evidence of the empirical sort. Now you are the one Liggero'ing on because the rider in question is American, and 42 yrs old. I will agree and acknowledge that Horner's result is remarkable and less believable than Froomie's. But the issue here is labeling your home fan bias as "historical logic" based on an athlete's nationality is simplistic and insults the intelligence of your audience if you expect them to buy it. Just admit how much you love your boys in black and blue!

Pete, if I wasn't so busy I would sit down with you and explain just why (IMHO) my attitude is far from disingenuous and absolutely nothing to do with an appreciation of Team Sky or a love for the country of my birth. It would be a fairly long conversation but I'm pretty confident that when presented with the facts and the logic behind the opinions you would appreciate that your above post was incorrect.

But as I mentioned to Pren, I've spent enough time on forums to realise that it's pretty well impossible to get that point across through the keyboard.

Airwise,

I have to say I had labeled you as the "king of negativity" on here but that was an articulate and restrained reply...I was wrong. :thumbup:

ultyguy

by ultyguy

X

ultyguy

by ultyguy

mrfish wrote:All in all I think Friebe is to be applauded for asking the question. A few years back he would not have dared.

First off, it was Benson.

Yes, the questions need to be asked, but in a thought out and thorough manner in the right forum. You don't just shoot from the hip and when you don't get what you want, paint the whole thing as 'doping' and 'we've learned nothing from Armstrong'. That's shoddy journalism

ryker

by ryker

+1. Dig into the story but don't write the article until you have something.

KB

by KB

Guilt by insinuation: pathetic journalism.

PSM

by PSM

btompkins0112

by btompkins0112

I guess you are trying to insinuate guilt by kit choice?

pastronef

by pastronef

Langeveld to GARMIN :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com