"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MarkTwain

by MarkTwain

They're professionals in a pre-season camp.

I'd say the same if someone called and asked if they could 'tag along' with me while I was at work.

KWalker

by KWalker

I'd love to see them enforce a fee for riding public roads that they have no authority over and haven't reserved if you just so happened to run into them.
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mattr

by mattr

They'll either block you out of the group, or drop you.

We have similar guidelines on the camp we go on. Stops unknown and potentially uninsured riders causing issues.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

This isn't a pro training camp.. this is a general public if you want to come and pay $110000 vacation to ride your bike with me camp....

http://mauicyclingcamps.com/

mattr

by mattr

Sounds like daylight robbery to me.

But same thing applies.

wingguy

by wingguy

ParisCarbon wrote:This isn't a pro training camp.. this is a general public if you want to come and pay $110000 vacation to ride your bike with me camp....

Exactly, so (for whatever reason) people have paid $11000 to go and ride their bikes with the dude. So what would they think if the organiser let you tag along for free?

KWalker

by KWalker

They can't enforce anything on public roads, which is my point. Its a stupid concept on all fronts except for the pros committing highway robbery (literally). If someone reallllllly wanted to meet Ryder they could ride for a few miles, get their face time, then bounce.

If Freds aren't afraid to sit on your wheel sans invitation on normal rides why would they care on a ride like this?
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

boysa

by boysa

+1

I'm moving back to Hawaii this spring, so if this is still happening next year I can scope it out.

Oh wait... I have no desire to meet Ryder whatsoever. Guess that saves me the flight from Oahu to Maui.
"Deserve's got nothing to do with it." William Munny

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Well considering the cost of the hotel room is over 60% off the cost of the trip, a $1000 for a 3.5 hour ride is a little crazy, but hey, if they wanna charge that and someone wants to pay, that's there choice.. I'm just pointing out that's what they charged and I opted out of it...

Besides, I ended up riding about 10m off the back of their group one day for about 20km.. no one ever said anything.... like KWalker said.. they can't enforce anything on a public road...

It seemed like the people in the group were enjoying themselves.. so good for them.

wingguy wrote:
ParisCarbon wrote:This isn't a pro training camp.. this is a general public if you want to come and pay $110000 vacation to ride your bike with me camp....

Exactly, so (for whatever reason) people have paid $11000 to go and ride their bikes with the dude. So what would they think if the organiser let you tag along for free?

wingguy

by wingguy

KWalker wrote:They can't enforce anything on public roads, which is my point.

Who said they're enforcing anything? I have no idea where you're coming from with that. There's a pretty obvious and common sense difference between riding the same roads as that group and riding in that group.

Antoine

by Antoine

local surfers and windsurfers don't like to share a good wave in Maui ... so for this price they may be willing to do some enforcing if necessary

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

mattr wrote:Sounds like daylight robbery to me.

maybe it does, but THAT coming from people buying few K$ frames or wheels does sound at least a bit ridiculous. cycling afficionados spend more and more on their hobby, and when getting the desired gear isn't an issue anymore, they have to find another way to burn their cash.

what strikes me most about it though, is not the amount of money alone, but what they are spending it on - 11 grand for meeting Ryder Who?-sjedal... :?: :!:
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

lippythelion

by lippythelion

Antoine wrote:local surfers and windsurfers don't like to share a good wave in Maui ... so for this price they may be willing to do some enforcing if necessary

What will they do? Chase the naughty interlopers down on their Raleigh Choppers and slap them across the face with their canvas flip-flops?

KWalker

by KWalker

wingguy wrote:
KWalker wrote:They can't enforce anything on public roads, which is my point.

Who said they're enforcing anything? I have no idea where you're coming from with that. There's a pretty obvious and common sense difference between riding the same roads as that group and riding in that group.

My point is that if you decided to intermingle with them they can't do anything to kick you out of the ride since its on public property since someone commented that they would somehow band together and prevent you from riding with or near them on the same roads.

On another note does anyone have any pics of the Bora-Aargon official bikes, not just the normal Aargons?
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

mattr

by mattr

KWalker wrote:since someone commented that they would somehow band together and prevent you from riding with or near them on the same roads.
"somehow"
Actually, it's very easy to get someone out of a bunch. And if you'd read what i posted you'd know why it's done.

But there are many who won't take a hint.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com