"PRO" Cycling Discussion

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

Amy Dombroski died today at training. She was hit by a truck. RIP

headwind816

by headwind816

A sad day it is.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CBJ

by CBJ

Not again too many bikers die this way.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I'm gutted at the loss, but really how could anyone not see this coming?

US Cycling does NOTHING to support advocacy. NOTHING. Yet their athletes, of all levels, use the roads and trails to train on every single day.
Future athletes are dwindling in numbers because parents are not willing to let their kids ride and train when they are young because, yep, the environment is too dangerous, which circles back to US Cycling doing NOTHING to support advocacy.

Meanwhile the overwhelming majority of the racing community - particularly road - does little, if anything, to support advocacy. It's a complete disgrace when we see racers go out of their way to support another cause while completely ignoring the most basic charity/cause which would help them do what they love to do!

Meanwhile there are plenty of grumpy weekend warriors willing to shell out $4k on a set of wheels to gain an extra 20watts in aero so they can win a sprint to the local coffee shop, but are completely unwilling to spend $40 on an annual membership of support, tax deductible no less, to their local advocacy group. "No, no, I'd rather spend a couple thousand to stick my head further up my ass and feel better about myself than make the roads and trails safer for myself, my friends, and everyone who ever wants to ride a bike in the future" WTF?!?!

Amy is sadly another victim of the hypocrisy laden in this sport. It doesn't matter if she died in Europe or in the US, or anywhere - the issue at hand is being ignored. I'm gutted at the loss.

What's even worse? Even if this simple concept of supporting what you love to do is published by the media outlets, it will get forgotten and we'll continue to see more athletes of all levels and everyday people trying to make their way through life fall victim to ignorance.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

KWalker

by KWalker

Can you provide a TLl;DR for your longer posts?
Don't take me too seriously. The only person that doesn't hate Froome.
Gramz
Failed Custom Bike

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

TLDR: Support local cycling advocacy and you'll get:
-less people getting injured or dying from collisions with motor vehicles
-more athletes
-more races and more coverage of races in the future as the sport becomes more recognized and popular
-safer training conditions
-better drivers
-better riders
-better communities
-healthier populations

Happy?

Herb5998

by Herb5998

While I agree that advocacy in the states is severly lacking, she was killed in an accident while training in Belgium....

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

The concept applies to everyone, all countries... even Belgium where cycling is embedded in mainstream society.
She could have been training here as well.

djm

by djm

It's the same here in Norway. The national federation has previously stated that they will not be doing any advocacy for cycling on public roads. Go figure.

What happened to Drombroski is aweful, tragic and saddening.

airwise

by airwise

Athletes need to train.

They need to use roads.

They share roads with motorised transport.

They ride fast.

Accidents happen.

It's sad but training on the road is hazardous and always will be. Riding a bike less so.

elSid

by elSid

"No African-American pop star had sold as many records and has as diverse of a fanbase across the world. Thriller is still the best-selling album of all time."

Fair enough, but my dispute was with your original statement about him being the first AA to transcend genre boundaries. Off the top of my head, I would (respectfully) submit that Jimi Hendrix, James Brown and George Clinton accomplished the same crossover years earlier.

How is this pro related??? Well, I listen to music from all all three whilst riding, sometimes thinking I'm dropping pros. (/sarcasm)

nathanong87
Resident master of GIF

by nathanong87

made these to commerate a good stage (that i was rewatching). Jan with the 'airball flick out to noone' to 'it's go time baby' to '... 'I can’t win in a bunch sprint. I started pushing my 11, and maybe it didn’t look nice, but I was fast. I made it. I won. ”

kbbpll

by kbbpll

RIP Amy.

airwise

by airwise

elSid wrote:"No African-American pop star had sold as many records and has as diverse of a fanbase across the world. Thriller is still the best-selling album of all time."

Fair enough, but my dispute was with your original statement about him being the first AA to transcend genre boundaries. Off the top of my head, I would (respectfully) submit that Jimi Hendrix, James Brown and George Clinton accomplished the same crossover years earlier.

How is this pro related??? Well, I listen to music from all all three whilst riding, sometimes thinking I'm dropping pros. (/sarcasm)

Actually Ray Charles was releasing Country & Western music in the late fifties but then I guess most of us were not even born..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Willier

by Willier

WC bike, but no kit yet