Pantani's Bianchi

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

PDXWheels
Shop Owner

by PDXWheels

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/mar ... arto-corse

Not to suggest CN has a fact checking problem, but....Isn't it fairly well known that Pantani used 180 cranks in mountain stages? And, I'm guessing, more approachable gearing.

Seems like this would be a 'flat stage' bike. It rubs me the wrong way that CN makes these assumptions to make a dead guy look like a freak.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

True, 44-23 seems too much even for Pirata.

occor

by occor

Those James Huang articles have a track record of obvious (and presumably not so obvious) errors.

I also wonder about the accuracy of those dimensions... they don't seem to add up to me.

I'm 173cm tall and my saddle height 71cm. Pantani was reported to be 172cm tall and his saddle height is also 71cm. He reportedly only needed 52cm of reach (tip of saddle nose to C of bars) while I need 55cm. His top tube and stem lengths are reported to be 52cm and 11cm. Mine are 54cm and 13cm. The saddle on my bike and his bike are both slammed back. I don't have long arms either.

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

occor wrote:Those James Huang articles have a track record of obvious (and presumably not so obvious) errors.

I also wonder about the accuracy of those dimensions... they don't seem to add up to me.

I'm 173cm tall and my saddle height 71cm. Pantani was reported to be 172cm tall and his saddle height is also 71cm. He reportedly only needed 52cm of reach (tip of saddle nose to C of bars) while I need 55cm. His top tube and stem lengths are reported to be 52cm and 11cm. Mine are 54cm and 13cm. The saddle on my bike and his bike are both slammed back. I don't have long arms either.

I don't think he was that tall, regardless of what is claimed.

Given those bike proportions he had to be closer to 5'5 to 5'3.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

Beautiful bike though.

RIDE magazine did an article on Pantani's bike a awhile back. IIRC, Pantani was quoted that a "real" climber would never use a 25 on the back, but on one particular steep stage he recanted slightly an took a 24 (does anyone make a 24?). However during the stage something was wrong with the RD so he had to do it in the 22...
"Physiology is all just propaganda and lies... all waiting to be disproven by the next study."
"I'm not a real doctor; But I am a real worm; I am an actual worm." - TMBG

michel2

by michel2

I dont think he used a 23 on the back !
or is the myth getting stronger...
he the man though he the man !

occor

by occor

@2002SaecoReplica

The proportion between the listed seat tube length and saddle height doesn't seem particularly odd. 172cm is sited consistently wherever his height is mentioned online but perhaps that's a widely disseminated error.

@michel2

I'm holding a brand new 12-25 cassette in my hand. Looks to me like a 44 inner ring and 23 sprocket in this photo:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/photos/ ... ary/101529
Last edited by occor on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

I have this at home

arrived just the other day. Looking forward to getting into it!

And agreed about the RIDE review of the bike - amazing looking machine and no Bianchi has ever impressed me as much as that one.

occor

by occor

It just occurred to me that the article says "Top tube length: 519mm (actual)" so the virtual top tube length would be more like 53cm which makes more sense. Now I'm beginning to think he was in fact closer to 168cm tall rather than 172cm.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

PDXWheels wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/marco-pantanis-1998-mercatone-uno-bianchi-mega-pro-xl-reparto-corse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not to suggest CN has a fact checking problem, but...
They could have checked it was the right bike....

Pantani 98 TdF.jpg

Pantani 99 MSr.jpg

majklnajt

by majklnajt

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7995&status=True&catname=Latest%20News

" Looking nowadays to that event we can understand how strong was the message to all the cyclists. “Stay your place” – “Don’t touch the wires”. That’s one of the reason we have now great riders but small heroes. And this system, this suspicious feeling already affected all supporters dreams and fantasy. There’s a picture that shows Armstrong and Pantani in the top of Mont Ventoux. That was a battle. That was an epic and real duel. That was the beginning of the century. But someone else decided we couldn’t enjoy it. Pantani wasn’t invited any more to that competition. Why?

Are you really still looking for the answer? "

I am looking fot that answer?
That "someone else" is meant who???

2002SaecoReplica

by 2002SaecoReplica

Snipped the quote. PP

The UCI/ASO.

The message was don't rock the boat, don't challenge us on our decisions, or else. Notice how the rider strikes/rider protests essentially stopped after Pantani was thrown out of the 99 Tour? He was made an example.
- Zipp rims will break if you look at them too hard
- R-Sys wheels will spontaneously explode
- The ZG crankset will never, ever exist
- Everyone needs Lightweights, even if they're fat and old
- Parts actually made of metal are SO 10 years ago

PDXWheels
Shop Owner

by PDXWheels

ultimobici wrote:
PDXWheels wrote:http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/marco-pantanis-1998-mercatone-uno-bianchi-mega-pro-xl-reparto-corse" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not to suggest CN has a fact checking problem, but...
They could have checked it was the right bike....

Just little things like that! Good eye!

majklnajt

by majklnajt

@2002SaecoReplica, thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

owl

by owl

His effective top tube measurement was 52.5cm

Seattube measurement was 48.5cm

His yellow Carrera used similar build dimensions. He was notorious for getting lots of frames built in different geometries for different stages (although rarely used more than one frame!)
Owl