Sammy Sanchez and his giant bling watch!

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

I was watching the Vuelta yesterday. I happen notice that Sammy Sanchez was wearing a giant watch. Looked like a Breitling or something along those lines. All I know is, it was huge. He doesn't race with that thing on does he? It was close to the stage start as he was kitted up and ready to go. I looked for some other pictures of him riding and racing but couldn't tell if he had it on or not.

I know some guys that ride and race with big watches. Honestly, I don't know how anyone can stand having anything on their wrist while riding; especially in the drops where your wrist is bent.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

record

by record

I know a guy who used to ride with his Patek Philipe watch until his first crash :shock: He had the watch rebuild (I suppose it was expensive job)- cosmectic stuff really, as it was still working - but you should expect that from a 10k$ watch. Anyway not a great idea to ride with an expensive watch - not comfortable and can be a bit expensive...
A light bike does replace good fitness.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

Maybe riding with a watch was useful in the pre-80's but now?
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

synchronicity

by synchronicity

It's all about style points.
Same as 100m sprinters wearing those gold necklaces! :mrgreen:
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

CoachPotatoBilly

by CoachPotatoBilly

stella-azzurra wrote:Maybe riding with a watch was useful in the pre-80's but now?

**** I have old videos of Merckx, Ocana, and others at the TDF wearing huge watches on their wrists during the race... It was pretty common back in the olden days.. Apparently, so were long sideburns as several guys had some pretty big mutton chops on their faces...

spinwax
Shop Owner

by spinwax

BTW, it was during sign in, although he was kitted up. Funny he would even have it on at that time, then have to find a place to put/hide it. It could be a 75.00 Fossil for all I know. :lol:

rikdewy

by rikdewy

Who knows? He's probably contracted to wear it except for the actual race.

.... and gets thousands to do so. I think someone on here was bagging Valverde for being a fashion tragic for wearing a large and loud (colour) watch. As if he gives a fark......

Show me the Money!!!
It's all about the bike! well nearly all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com