The official : "what have you bought today" topic

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aeo

by Aeo

7mesh Seymour

Weight is 142.8g

Nice product, rolls up tightly to fit in a jersey pocket.

A better leg warmer if you will. It's in one piece, doesn't stop somewhere on the thigh, can also be worn over bibtights in the winter for some additional warmth.

Currently available for 30% discount at Bike24
https://www.bike24.de/p1346587.html

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Converted my cross wheels to tubeless.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Islabikes Skinwall Cross Tyres Mavic tubeless tape & Milkit tubeless kit.

Works like a charm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Garmin Edge 530 to replace 520 (weighs 14g more than the outgoing Garmin 520)

Last edited by Johnny Rad on Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

flying

by flying

Aeo wrote:
Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:01 pm

Nice product, rolls up tightly to fit in a jersey pocket.

A better leg warmer if you will. It's in one piece, doesn't stop somewhere on the thigh, can also be worn over bibtights in the winter for some additional warmth.
Hahah bad enough we shave our legs now we also wear "hose" :D

7Mesh Semour Tight Men's Herren Hose

I had to laugh when I saw the name :lol: :lol:
But kidding aside it looks ike a quality product

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Bont Vaypor S update... an unplanned encounter with the road last season tore-up my previous Bont Helix shoes, so I replaced them with the reflective Reflex Vapor S a few months back and just now bought the standard Vaypor S. When the gray Reflex shoes showed-up more gray than expected (my bad), I kept my eyes peeled for a deal on the stadard white shoes. I'll wear the reflective ones in the early am and std white ones on other rides. Voila!

Weight-wise, everything's still in the same gram ballpark for sz 43 Helix, reflective Vaypor S and standard Vaypor S.

I never really cared for the single Boa adjustment of the Helix, so I'm fully back in the Vaypor S camp.

Helix, sz 43 [2019]
* 478g including 30g factory insoles

Reflex Vaypor S, sz 43 [2019]
* 516g/pair including 50g factory insoles (different design from Bont)

Vaypor S, sz 43 [2020]
* 490g/pair including 34g factory insoles

Vaypor S, sz 43 [2018]
* "just under 500g/pair" including ~30g factory insoles

Johnny Rad wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:28 am
Johnny Rad wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 5:02 am

Bont Helix, sz 43 for next season
Verified, 478g/pair w/factory insoles (mfg claimed 520g/pair for sz 46.5)
Early indications from my feet are very positive - both feet have high hopes.

Replacing Bont Vaypor S
Verified, sub-500g/pair (and likely within a few grams of the Helix) w/factory insoles (mfg claimed 406g/pair)
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36516&p=1222944&hil ... r#p1222944
Very good, but not perfect. Not as indestructible as the earlier Vaypor. Specifically, the toe protector is not tall enough to truly protect the "leather." Didn't have the perfect glass slipper feeling as the earlier Vaypor either. Still, a very good shoe.

Which replaced Bont Vaypor, sz 42.5 (old sizing convention)
Verified, 522g/pair w/factory insoles (mfg claimed 480g/pair)
Excellent shoes. Lasted something like 5 seasons as my primary shoe. Still pulling ative duty on the trainer. Just won't die.

Which replaced Bont A1, sz 42.5 (old sizing convention)
...but I digress other than to demonstrate I'm a Bont homer.

Bont thread elsewhere on WW: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=36516&p=1437817#p1437817
Replacing my Bont Helix, sz 43 with Bont Vaypor S Reflex, sz 43 in reflective silver / gray

My outgoing Helix were good, but not Vaypor S great. Seems the single wrap-around BOA made the top of the shoe a hair tight and the area around my toes a hair loose. If I hadn't previously worn the earlier-gen Vaypor or Vaypor S shoes, I don't think it would've been a deal at all; however, my feet voted for the Vaypor S with dual BOA adjustability.

Note the Bont Vaypor S Reflex in the background is the fairest representation of how the reflective silver / gray compares to white.

My new Vaypor S Reflex shoes are 257g (R) and 259g (L) with insoles (516g/pair). The Bont factory insoles for the outgoing Helix weighed 50g/pair (!!!) though the new Reflex insoles weighed "just" 30g/pair, so that makes the shoes-only sub-500g/pair.

Interestingly, the Helix insoles had more perforations than the Vaypor S Reflex insoles. Not sure one is any better than the other, but they're different though sized identically.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Sorry Dropbox is being a real PITA. At least for me. Anyway purchased a Shimano Ultegra R8000 Chainset - 11 Speed - Black / 34/50 / 175mm 0.67kg
Northwave Himalaya Winter MTB Boots - Black / EU43 1.34kg
Smith Trace helmet W/Mipps in Med. 0.28kg
I would provide pics but Dropbox is not cooperating for me. Everything was onsale over the Xmas period.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

I just purchased my last rim brake bike frame ever...

2006 Moots Compact SL and I think it's a custom.... was trying to hold out for a VAMOOTS SL.. but honestly the geo on the compact is better for me.

theovcak

by theovcak

DartanianX wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:45 am
Partington Wheels - finally arrived!
Could you please share your first impression - how do they ride, their stiffness and generally your satisfaction? They look stunning and I also really appreciate the engineering. Thanks.

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

Q36.5 Salopette Dottore L1 bib shorts (not the new Dottore X) - This is my 2nd pair and I'm a happy user. The material is indeed unique - thin and crinkly. The chamois does the job without being diaper thick, like long-distance Assos S5 Mille / F.13 bibs from back in the day (I still like them though). Right, wrong or indifferent, I primarily wore the Salopette Dottore L1 bibs during the hottest part of summer. Pretty sure their vaunted compression or aero properties didn't make me any faster. https://www.q36-5.com/shop/men/cycling- ... -l1-black/

Q36.5 Salopette Wolf 2.0 winter bib shorts - This is my second pair or winter bib shorts. I previously bought their earlier / previous-gen Wolf bibs, which treated me great. The material is thinner than my other winter bibs with traditional thermal / fleece lining, but they're every bit as warm. Here's hoping their newer model performs equally well. https://www.q36-5.com/shop/men/cycling- ... -wolf-2-0/

* Bib sizing - I'm currently wearing Q36.5 and older Assos S5 in sz L; also currently wearing Garneau and DNA in sz M.

Cubist

by Cubist

Received the new Carbonworks Mastermount today. I put on some Easton Ec70 Aero handlebars and my cockpit was getting a bit busy. My K-Edge race out front mount barely fitted. And with my Exposure Trace light atatched with the band on everything on the handlebar was at an angle. I was not sure the way I mounted the K-Edge was harming my bars so I was looking for a stem faceplate mount. My computer was like 2 degrees out of center. My OCD couldn't handle that ;).My Easton EC90SL stem has no access ports from the back so the standard Carbonworks cockpitmount is no use to me. Simon from carbonworks advised the Mastermount to me. Altough crazy expensive I ordered it. It also comes with a gopro attachment which I haven't installed yet. i ordered a gopro style mount for my front Exposure light. When it arrives I'll attach the gopro extension and mount the light. See my pictures for first impression.

What I really liked is it is almost like a modular system:

- You can mount it to a lot of different stem sizes
- It is highly customizable: I swapped the garmin mount around so the computer (Edge 520plus) is closer to the stem. There was no manual so I was really happy this is possible.
- The carbon tubes seem really strong and you can torque 'em up to your stem (max5nm I did 4nm s it is my stem spec)
- The garmin insert is of high quality plastic. It says made in USA. Same as K-Edge?
- They say it is so strong you can lean on it in Aero position. Not sure about this. Leaning with your weight on the bottom bolts of your stem seems a bit scary to me
- Because you can swap the garmin insert the mount is compatible with smaller and larger computers

What I don't like:

- When you insert the GoPro mount the Mastermount gets longer. Your computer will be further from your bars.
- Weight is not really good, but that is because of the extra functionality.
- Aesthetics. It does look a bit cluttered from the under side and all the screws. Black anodized bolts would help the look.

All in all great product! Highly recommended. Suits my needs. I have a cool mount, and can attach my front light to the bottom when I want. Quality engineering. Thats for sure!

robertbb

by robertbb

Cubist wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:29 pm
Received the new Carbonworks Mastermount today.
AU$220... you have GOT to be kidding me!

I bought similar stem bolt mount from Tillquist for AU$20. Beautifully CNC machined, came with lightweight and high quality bolts and has been flawless for my Garmin for 3 years.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

My wife got me these DHB shorts for Xmas from CRC which was on my wish list as they have the Elastic Interface chamois- Paris HP and I have come to really like this particular chamois for my SMP Composit and Carbon saddles. Its good for 4-6hr rides np and the chamois is Italian and they make several different styles for many manufacturers. I found DHB to be the most reasonably priced of all the manufacturers I have researched so far.
https://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ca/ ... prod182231
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

flying

by flying

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:06 am
I found DHB to be the most reasonably priced of all the manufacturers I have researched so far.
+1
I have been using a pair of thier bib knickers this cool season & like them a lot.
Very comfortable on the 3-4 hour rides I used them on no problems...

Their regular Classic Bib also gets many good reviews & I bought a pair to try
Have not rode with them yet but they feel fine when trying on

Also have a long sleeve thrmeal jersey from them & agree reasonable price with nice quality

addictR1

by addictR1

spdntrxi wrote:I just purchased my last rim brake bike frame ever...

2006 Moots Compact SL and I think it's a custom.... was trying to hold out for a VAMOOTS SL.. but honestly the geo on the compact is better for me.
Congrats! Where’s the pics? Image

by Weenie

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

addictR1 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:14 am
spdntrxi wrote:I just purchased my last rim brake bike frame ever...

Congrats! Where’s the pics? Image
Maybe this weekend..(cold and wet). I'm in the part gathering phase. Measured the frame... 46 ST (c-t) and 54 TT (c-c) after all the chris king headset business the HT is about 14. Has to be custom. 46 ST is tiny.

picked up a Moots RSL Ti stem.. expensive buggers...
Found my :
HED Ardennes Black Wheelset
EEBrakes Gen2

Will probably use my DA 9000 crank on it since I have a stages with it. ( I think it will look better with less black )
Seaching for SRAM Red eTap (old version).. which is still pricey dispite AXS being out. ( I'm done with mechanical and not drilling this frame yet)