The official : "what have you bought today" topic

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

THSdrummer

by THSdrummer

Gear has arrived.
-Assos F1 Uno bibs in black
-Speedplay Zero Chrome-Moly in black
-Castelli Belgian Oversocks in white
-Castelli Mesh Undershirt
-Fizik Performance Bar Tape in white
-Park Tools Pedal Wrench
-Speedplay parts and grease
-Patch Kit

Waiting to install the Speedplay pedals until I get them on some Ward Ti spindles.

Link to photo: https://plus.google.com/u/0/101108915701840716106/posts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2012 Cannondale CAAD10 3 - 8.08Kg
(Just began the weight reduction process)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

Some small things in the past days.

BBB lock ring wrench for my track bike

Pro standard

Shimano wet lube

Shimano dry lube

Elite tool pot

Against cold toes

Tekro brake shoes/pads for my track bike (I use it on the open road, and I do not go brakeless)

Koolstop brake pads

2 Rubino's for my girlfriend's bike

Enough for now 8)

mrfish

by mrfish

djm wrote:Got my hands on a slightly used 3T Ergosum LTD bars,

@TimmS and others, in my opinion those bars are scrap. Please don't ride them. Best use is to cut them up and glue the pieces together to make a nice carbon pen stand.

Typically the 3T bars fail because the faceplates on their stems bend with repeated tightening. Despite tightening to 4NM using a torque wrench, my ARX faceplates gradually bowed. Then the corners of the face plates dug into the bars causing a delamination. At first this feels like a slight bulge on the surface of the bar. Later the top layer of carbon will crack, first where the edge of the face plate bites into it, then a crack will start at 45 degrees following the alignment of the outer UD carbon layer. This is exactly the damage pattern shown on your bars. When it happened to mine I took them off the bike and tried to break them, but couldn't. Then after repeated abuse and some cracking noises they suddenly collapsed. Mine were Ergosum Teams and the 45 degree crack had just started.

The problem is that even if only one layer is damaged, the bars are slightly weaker in that spot, so repeated clamping will propagate the damage. Then at some point the bar will unexpectedly snap, with foreseeable consequences.

deltree

by deltree

jsprbcn wrote:Elite tool pot

Need to pick one of these up as my white one gets really dirty in the winter.

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

mrfish wrote:
djm wrote:Got my hands on a slightly used 3T Ergosum LTD bars,

@TimmS and others, in my opinion those bars are scrap. Please don't ride them. Best use is to cut them up and glue the pieces together to make a nice carbon pen stand.

Typically the 3T bars fail because the faceplates on their stems bend with repeated tightening. Despite tightening to 4NM using a torque wrench, my ARX faceplates gradually bowed. Then the corners of the face plates dug into the bars causing a delamination. At first this feels like a slight bulge on the surface of the bar. Later the top layer of carbon will crack, first where the edge of the face plate bites into it, then a crack will start at 45 degrees following the alignment of the outer UD carbon layer. This is exactly the damage pattern shown on your bars. When it happened to mine I took them off the bike and tried to break them, but couldn't. Then after repeated abuse and some cracking noises they suddenly collapsed. Mine were Ergosum Teams and the 45 degree crack had just started.

The problem is that even if only one layer is damaged, the bars are slightly weaker in that spot, so repeated clamping will propagate the damage. Then at some point the bar will unexpectedly snap, with foreseeable consequences.

Best to buy aluminum for bars and stems. Plenty of light examples that last forever barring a crash. But even through a crash they are fine. Some things are best not being carbon.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

SvenNijs

by SvenNijs

jsprbcn wrote:Elite tool pot

Looks a bit like my grannies Thermos flask with its little cup for the tea... :lol:

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

That's what I am going to use it for :-D
Or for the really cold days.. soup!

djm

by djm

Elite has a "thermos", an insulated bottle, crafted with much the same design as this tool case bottle.

mrfish

by mrfish

jsprbcn wrote:Or for the really cold days.. soup!

The Elite bottle would be ideal as the little holder would keep your croutons dry and crispy until you stop to eat. Now if only tupperware made bike bottles with a lifetime guarantee...

jsprbcn

by jsprbcn

And with the famous Tupperware parties :-)

Wingnut

by Wingnut

djm

by djm

Wingnut; that thing is screaming for a nylon bolt ;-)

dodge

by dodge

IF Steel Crown jewel with Enve 2.0 fork... Now to wait the 8weeks or so for it to be made and sent to australia :D

cheers Joe

kgt

by kgt

570gr @ size 44
Last edited by kgt on Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

djm wrote:Elite has a "thermos", an insulated bottle, crafted with much the same design as this tool case bottle.

I have the nano gel bottles... they are pretty good for keeping stuff cold.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com