The official : "what have you bought today" topic

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

nickf

by nickf

I'm willing to bet they could have made this thing with just one center carbon arm. Seems over built just to hold a cycling computer.

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

nickf wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:28 pm
I'm willing to bet they could have made this thing with just one center carbon arm. Seems over built just to hold a cycling computer.
Maybe it was designed to handle heavier devices. A lightweight computer and light should be possible.
Sergio from Extralite wrote:CH-01 fits well the Garmin 1030 (125g / dimensions 59x114mm) and should hold over twice that weight.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

1. Bought myself a Retül bike fitting session. So many numbers to tell me a lot I already knew and make small adjustments, which I guess means my guestimations weren’t that far off. The adjustment of my cleats may be worth it’s weight in gold if it proves to be good long term. We will see......

2. Portable A/C for the garage where I ride the trainer during the weekdays. Getting hot in there even with the door open and a huge fan!!

thedanplasse

by thedanplasse

I just ordered an Extralite 120mm -6 stem claimed 87g

It should be in within a week or two. Hopefully that'll compliment the Superergo bars I'll be getting next.
2020 S-Works Tarmac SL6
2018 Specialized Tarmac Expert Sl5

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

More gear:

I was in dilemma between Gaerne G.STILO and Giro Empire SLX, Gaerne are a little more comfortable, and it seems to me they are made a little better...

Gaerne G.STILO 2019

http://www.gaerne.com/cycling/en/artico ... ilo/black/

I wanted red ones:

But they didn't had them, so I bought black ones:

And some more things:

Camelbak Podium Ice

https://international.camelbak.com/en/b ... 86821ab040

MB Wear socks

https://wearmb.com/en/51-bike-socks

Giro socks

https://www.giro.com/en/men/mens-bike/m ... ries-socks

Vredestein Race Tube 60 mm

https://www.bike24.com/p276405.html

Topeak Aero Wedge Pack Large

https://www.topeak.com/global/en/produc ... wedge-pack

sennder

by sennder

I got from Starbike:
  1. 3T Superergo LTD 40cm bars to replace my Bontrager XXX VR-C bars. Huge upgrade in terms of comfort, especially on the tops and on the corners before the hoods. Internal cable routing for mechanical + rim brake setup was easier than expected.
  2. Continental GP5000 28mm non-TL tire to replace my worn GP4000SII 25mm rear tire. Still to mount it.
I do not have a scale so can't weigh either.

--Sennder

kgt

by kgt

ND4SPD wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:18 pm
More gear:

I was in dilemma between Gaerne G.STILO and Giro Empire SLX, Gaerne are a little more comfortable, and it seems to me they are made a little better...
No doubt about this. Gaerne are better quality shoes than any model from Giro.

robertbb

by robertbb

kgt wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:31 pm
ND4SPD wrote:
More gear:

This is a really big call. Got anything to back it up?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

robertbb wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:14 am
kgt wrote:
ND4SPD wrote:
More gear:

It's a big claim, but it's true for the most part. I own shoes from both brands. I wear my Giros primarily because they fit my feet slightly better, but there's no doubt in my mind the Gaernes are made to a better standard with better materials. Gaerne shoes are handmade in Italy down the street from Sidi and AlpineStars. They all know how to make beefy shoes that will take a beating on a motorcycle. Gaerne does not care about making lightweight shoes. They don't use glue where metal fasteners should be used instead. Their micro-tex feels a lot more like leather than what Giro uses. My Giros have had minor issues with longevity. The heel lugs on my Prolight Techlace fell off. The carbon sole on my Empire SLX started to separate from the upper around my pinky toe.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

ryanw wrote:The mount supplied is absolute garbage. Snapped off and Garmin 1030 on the deck due to this.

Have replaced with a better, more secure mount.
Which mount snapped?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

The actual twist-lock mount, ExtraLite have used the cheapest (sh*ttest) item they could source. The rest of the mount is great.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

This is why I Always run a lanyard.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

robertbb

by robertbb

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:59 am
robertbb wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 3:14 am
kgt wrote:
ND4SPD wrote:
More gear:

It's a big claim, but it's true for the most part. I own shoes from both brands. I wear my Giros primarily because they fit my feet slightly better, but there's no doubt in my mind the Gaernes are made to a better standard with better materials. Gaerne shoes are handmade in Italy down the street from Sidi and AlpineStars. They all know how to make beefy shoes that will take a beating on a motorcycle. Gaerne does not care about making lightweight shoes. They don't use glue where metal fasteners should be used instead. Their micro-tex feels a lot more like leather than what Giro uses. My Giros have had minor issues with longevity. The heel lugs on my Prolight Techlace fell off. The carbon sole on my Empire SLX started to separate from the upper around my pinky toe.
I've learned not to compare brand to brand, but to compare product to product. In this era of new, new, new all brands are guilty of bringing poor(er) quality products to market. The Giro Factor Techlace is the best shoe I've ever owned and way better than everything else I tried on - including models from some of the brands listed.

desperado95219

by desperado95219

I agree with Robertbb completely. I have a pair of Giro Techlace as well as @ pair of Prolights and absolutely love them, but I'm not hard on shoes. I have been cycling for 45 years and had worn virtually every popular make ever made (including Gaerne), as well as a few customs. Shoes are like saddles. Everyone eventually (hopefully) settles on their favorite. I am sticking with the lightweight, soft and flexible upper of Giro for now! Have not had a heel problem, but had to replace many, many Sidi heels over the years. Second favorite is Crono.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com