The official : "what have you bought today" topic

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

MoPho

by MoPho

Been talked into doing some more mountain biking, so just built this up

oldturd

by oldturd

amazing photos MoPho!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

tarmackev wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 4:41 pm
bura wrote:
kgt wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:01 pm
Klaster1 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:17 am

Why exactly? I use glasses only to protect against debris, branches and insects, the actual sunlight never caused me any inconvenience.
It's not just sunlight but UV radiation that you should protect your eyes from.
I totaly disagree.
There are tons of tasteful protective glasses out there which cost a fraction of that what is worn by "pro riders" and of that what especially a US company with their fancy HQ wants us to wear. Their last models have exaggerated towards the welder and ski googles design and size and cyclists around the globe do think they must follow their last shit produced. What you then see are stereotypes of otherwise smart people ,who just look embarrassing in their welder googles. :lol:
Even if you disagree with my views and you think that you need to spend money to have protective eyewear then for heavens sake check on Rapha classic line or their regular "cyclists MUST wear curved aerodynamic glasses" line.
My Oakley Radar XL’s snapped in a crash.
I also believe there was a test not long ago, may have been on the BBC where they tested cheap and expensive sunglasses. There was barely any difference in protection against harmful rays only in clarity.
In 30 years of cycling with people wearing some of the cheapest most hideous glasses I’ve yet to see a cracked lens on anyone apart from Hinault.
I remember pre Oakley everyone I knew wore Maddison 3 lens for £10 specials and there where no problems and nobody I know has gone blind.
Go to any beach in Europe and see thousands of tourists with the cheapest sunglasses available, you’d thing there’d be an epidemic of people with eye problems.
Don’t get me wrong, I love my Oakleys, I’ve been using them since 92 and think the clarity and style is fantastic.
If I’m riding CX or MTB I use my fake Oakley clear lenses. They’ve been battered for 5 years and are still going strong
Google snapped Oakley and you’ll see it’s fairly common. My old monster dog arms weren’t very strong at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you're comparing highly curved or semi curved Oakley lenses (base 8) to non-curved anything (base 4), yeah there's no difference. Currently, Zeiss makes great curved lenses and there are a select few companies that make good curved lenses. There are a few that offer them at good prices. If you go RX, you'll quickly find there are few LABS that do a good curved RX lens.

If you're looking for basic sunglasses, there are lots of options. Coverage, peripheral vision, and anti-fog are key for cycling, everything else is preference and BS.

robertbb

by robertbb

Try Oakley Prizm lenses.... you'll never look back.

I use the "prizm daily polarized"... it's awesome. For some strange reason the Prizm Road is not polarized which I find odd - stopping glare off shiny car bits and road signs etc. you'd think would be paramount.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

tabl10s wrote:
Calnago wrote:
Sun May 06, 2018 5:17 pm
Dodger747 wrote:Not technically cycling related...

Totally cycling related. Image
Are these expensive?
Let’s just say it rivals lots of entire bike prices and some high end framesImageImage

But to be a true baller one must spend like oneImageImageImage

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

Put deposit down a few days ago on this (waiting for delivery):

It's a 2017 Gan RS. On a side note, there doesn't seem to be much Pinarello love on here or anywhere on the Internet generally.

I swapped out the saddle for this:

It weighs 16.9lbs. I'd like to decrease the weight by 1.9lbs without breaking the bank (full-time law student with limited income). Any suggestions?

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

I've succumbed to peer pressure and bought replacement socks for my knock-off Oakleys. The socks fit perfectly and aren't sticky at all. Also some stuff for my new road wheels: 46mm LB rims, Tubolito road tubes, Compass Cayuse EL tires and CyberFront/Rear SPD-2.

liam7020

by liam7020

Klaster1 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 3:51 am
I've succumbed to peer pressure and bought replacement socks for my knock-off Oakleys.
In the market for some new specs. Where did you buy your "Oakleys"? Ta
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

liam7020 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 10:40 am
In the market for some new specs. Where did you buy your "Oakleys"? Ta
Bought on Ali for about 40USD four years ago, the kit was the same as this one, but the frame looks a bit different. If I were to buy new glasses, I'd pay more attention to width, but Ali is as good as any given there are no brand cycling glasses sold in my middle of nowhere. It's not like any substantial amount of people would buy glasses that cost a significant amount of monthly income or even more. The replacement socks were these. I think I'll try a polarized lens for a change when the sky clears.

bilwit

by bilwit

HarrisonK wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 10:46 pm
It weighs 16.9lbs. I'd like to decrease the weight by 1.9lbs without breaking the bank (full-time law student with limited income). Any suggestions?
800gs on a budget is a tall order but the cheapest things that make the biggest difference without affecting functionality is the expander plug and quick release. Throw on a JRC expander and some Ti QRs and that should save you nearly 200gs for less than $60. I also wouldn't have gotten the versus fizik saddle unless you're dead set on having the open channel.. the older Fizik R1s are the exact same weight as their current 00s.

Latex tubes would also save nearly 100gs depending but at the cost of the inconvenience of having to pump them before every ride (may not be an issue but if you take this thing on a commute every day it might be a slight annoyance when you need to just get out the door). Vittoria latex are like ~$10 a pop if you shop around.. There are also probably lighter tire than the stock ones which could maybe save you ~40g or so but not very cost effective at $40-60 a tire especially when they're consumable.

A lighter stem could save ~50gs+ too but I'm not sure what the compatibility is with the pinarello.. might be that you just use normal spacers instead and bin the "aero" proprietary ones. In that case, the Kalloy Uno is the go-to budget WW stem.

After that I would definitely save up for some decent "budget" carbon hoops (~$1200-1600). The stock aluminum rims seem like an injustice to such a nice frame :wink:

ms6073

by ms6073

HarrisonK wrote:
(full-time law student with limited income). Any suggestions?
My wife is a lawyer employed by a global 'energy' company, and she would probably suggest you switch majors. :beerchug:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

liam7020

by liam7020

Klaster1 wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:00 am
Bought on Ali for about 40USD four years ago, the kit was the same as this one, but the frame looks a bit different. If I were to buy new glasses, I'd pay more attention to width, but Ali is as good as any given there are no brand cycling glasses sold in my middle of nowhere. It's not like any substantial amount of people would buy glasses that cost a significant amount of monthly income or even more. The replacement socks were these. I think I'll try a polarized lens for a change when the sky clears.
Thanks for info!
Tarmac SL6 & Campag Record EPS https://weightweenies.starbike.com/foru ... 0&t=153968

"Sometimes you don't need a plan. You just need big balls." Tom Boonen

HarrisonK

by HarrisonK

bilwit wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 5:20 pm
HarrisonK wrote:
800gs on a budget is a tall order but the cheapest things that make the biggest difference without affecting functionality is the expander plug and quick release. Throw on a JRC expander and some Ti QRs and that should save you nearly 200gs for less than $60. I also wouldn't have gotten the versus fizik saddle unless you're dead set on having the open channel.. the older Fizik R1s are the exact same weight as their current 00s.

Latex tubes would also save nearly 100gs depending but at the cost of the inconvenience of having to pump them before every ride (may not be an issue but if you take this thing on a commute every day it might be a slight annoyance when you need to just get out the door). Vittoria latex are like ~$10 a pop if you shop around.. There are also probably lighter tire than the stock ones which could maybe save you ~40g or so but not very cost effective at $40-60 a tire especially when they're consumable.

A lighter stem could save ~50gs+ too but I'm not sure what the compatibility is with the pinarello.. might be that you just use normal spacers instead and bin the "aero" proprietary ones. In that case, the Kalloy Uno is the go-to budget WW stem.

After that I would definitely save up for some decent "budget" carbon hoops (~$1200-1600). The stock aluminum rims seem like an injustice to such a nice frame :wink:
I appreciate this. Thank you. If I wanted to just buy wheels, do you have any suggestions? The Fulcrum Racing 5 LG wheels that come with the bike are somewhere around 1650 grams. I'm having a hard time finding wheels for ~$1500 that are under 1300 grams. Seems like a big waste of $1500 for 300 grams.

bilwit

by bilwit

HarrisonK wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 11:01 pm
I appreciate this. Thank you. If I wanted to just buy wheels, do you have any suggestions? The Fulcrum Racing 5 LG wheels that come with the bike are somewhere around 1650 grams. I'm having a hard time finding wheels for ~$1500 that are under 1300 grams. Seems like a big waste of $1500 for 300 grams.
Under 1300g at that price range? I don't think so.. still, there are a number of great options at $1200-1600 right now: Reynolds Aero 46, Campy Bora One 35/50, FLO45/60s, even light-bicycle with industry9 hubs isn't a bad choice for the price IMO.. all of these are within the 1400-1500g range so not super weight savings-per-dollar, but I think you'd find that the affect on the characteristics of the ride adds a bit more to the return than just the 100-200g weight saving (which is still a good amount). Up to you though. Like I said, there's still better gram/dollar savings to be had before you get to that point. The desire to upgrade & refine is a never ending process :wink:

Seedster

by Seedster

Carbon-Ti 53/39 chainrings custom painted matte to match clavicula crankset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com