The official : "what have you bought today" topic

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

kgt

by kgt

It' not a matter of opinion. Discuss it with any optician and he will tell you that safety glasses must never be used as sunglasses. Especially chinese, no-name ones.
As Kayrehn wrote it's crazy to spend money on expensive carbon bottlecages and not on proper sunglasses. There are many good options for less than 40 euros.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

guyc

by guyc

It's also spectacularly dense to not use the actual Oakleys you have in case you damage them - like they're worth more than your eyes or face.

bura

by bura

kgt wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 8:58 am
It' not a matter of opinion. Discuss it with any optician and he will tell you that safety glasses must never be used as sunglasses. Especially chinese, no-name ones.
As Kayrehn wrote it's crazy to spend money on expensive carbon bottlecages and not on proper sunglasses. There are many good options for less than 40 euros.
Don't know if this was written in relation to my points of view. If so, sorry I can't see any relation .
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

themidge

by themidge

What is the point of a clear lens anyway? It won't keep the sun out of your eyes, so why not just wear no glasses?

Pepsi

by Pepsi

themidge wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:35 pm
What is the point of a clear lens anyway? It won't keep the sun out of your eyes, so why not just wear no glasses?
Riding in the forest at night!

blaugrana

by blaugrana

And it's not like fake eyewear from AliExpress is the only alternative to 200€ Oakleys. There are plenty of inexpensive alternatives that still have proper quality control and certifications and are perfectly safe to use (though maybe a little less fancy).

bura

by bura

TonyM wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:30 pm
One of the many reasons not to go cheap with the sunglasses when biking....

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... ash-327144
Here is the crap copied from above link:
"An Oakley representative told Cycling Weekly that the company would encourage consumers to only buy its sunglasses from certified shops, and that this would never have happened with genuine Oakley sunglasses."

What a bullshit that is. Oakley (and other "fancy" brands) are just afraid about their profits in a world where a few gram plastic coupled with USD.5.- lenses ( I have price lists of polarized lenses of a few Chinese manufacturers) are sold for USD.200.- and more.
And the best thing is that you can actually make people believe that your "welder and ski design "cycling" googles" are the safest,the best,give the best protection etc.
Kuota Kom Evo
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=111825&p=955235#p955235" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SOLD

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Just bought some new bearings for my Look Keo Blade 1 pedals - Titanium spindles are here this week, and I wanted some fresh new bearing on them because one of the pedals was not rotating very well last week. For those who are interested 6701 bearings 18 x 12 x 4 mm for the Look Keo blade 1.

nickf

by nickf

Just picked up my first pair of sidis. So far so good. Comfortable. Plenty of room in the toe box. Really digging the adjustable heal cup.
Last edited by nickf on Wed May 16, 2018 3:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Picked up a Colnago V1-R fork.. to put on my Parlee Z-Zero.. because I could not find an ESX fork and I want to use a EE direct mount brake.(g3) so far so good.. not a good match visially since the fork is gloss black vs waxed nude finish on the frame. Eventually I will matte the finish or strip the paint. Net weight gain about 40g.. the colnago fork is a fatty.

2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

themidge wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 1:35 pm
never been hit by bugs as speed, wind drying your eyes out.. I dont know I'd rather be protected.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Johnny Rad

by Johnny Rad

New Mt Zoom 640mm flat bar in UD (124g) to replace my Mt Zoom 610mm bar in some weave (111g), which I crashed - oops

Recently rode a 76mi off-road loop and appreciated bar-ends (until I crashed and tore one off necessitating a new bar - oops). Picker Mt Zoom bar-ends (47g/pair) and KCNC plugs (23g/pair) to keep the ends from crushing the end of the bar.

Figured as long as I was getting product shipped to me all the way from the UK, threw in a Mt Zoom expander (14g) and top cap and bolt (5g).

So, I'm adding ~78g but expect to lose a few on the new expander and top cap. We'll see!

indrek
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by indrek

SwissStop 30RS for some extra bite on campaq discs...

tarmackev

by tarmackev

bura wrote:
kgt wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 4:01 pm
Klaster1 wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 8:17 am
kgt wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:21 am
Buying cheap glasses with crap lenses is the worst way to save money...
Why exactly? I use glasses only to protect against debris, branches and insects, the actual sunlight never caused me any inconvenience.
It's not just sunlight but UV radiation that you should protect your eyes from.
I totaly disagree.
There are tons of tasteful protective glasses out there which cost a fraction of that what is worn by "pro riders" and of that what especially a US company with their fancy HQ wants us to wear. Their last models have exaggerated towards the welder and ski googles design and size and cyclists around the globe do think they must follow their last shit produced. What you then see are stereotypes of otherwise smart people ,who just look embarrassing in their welder googles. :lol:
Even if you disagree with my views and you think that you need to spend money to have protective eyewear then for heavens sake check on Rapha classic line or their regular "cyclists MUST wear curved aerodynamic glasses" line.
My Oakley Radar XL’s snapped in a crash.
I also believe there was a test not long ago, may have been on the BBC where they tested cheap and expensive sunglasses. There was barely any difference in protection against harmful rays only in clarity.
In 30 years of cycling with people wearing some of the cheapest most hideous glasses I’ve yet to see a cracked lens on anyone apart from Hinault.
I remember pre Oakley everyone I knew wore Maddison 3 lens for £10 specials and there where no problems and nobody I know has gone blind.
Go to any beach in Europe and see thousands of tourists with the cheapest sunglasses available, you’d thing there’d be an epidemic of people with eye problems.
Don’t get me wrong, I love my Oakleys, I’ve been using them since 92 and think the clarity and style is fantastic.
If I’m riding CX or MTB I use my fake Oakley clear lenses. They’ve been battered for 5 years and are still going strong.
Google snapped Oakley and you’ll see it’s fairly common. My old monster dog arms weren’t very strong at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tarmackev

by tarmackev

bura wrote:
TonyM wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 5:30 pm
One of the many reasons not to go cheap with the sunglasses when biking....

http://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/lates ... ash-327144
Here is the crap copied from above link:
"An Oakley representative told Cycling Weekly that the company would encourage consumers to only buy its sunglasses from certified shops, and that this would never have happened with genuine Oakley sunglasses."

What a bullshit that is. Oakley (and other "fancy" brands) are just afraid about their profits in a world where a few gram plastic coupled with USD.5.- lenses ( I have price lists of polarized lenses of a few Chinese manufacturers) are sold for USD.200.- and more.
And the best thing is that you can actually make people believe that your "welder and ski design "cycling" googles" are the safest,the best,give the best protection etc.
I’d rather wear fake cheap plastic glasses than fake pedal axles. Seems after market bike parts are okay on here just not glasses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com