Hilarious Bike Shop Owner Post

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

stella-azzurra

by stella-azzurra

KH1 wrote:Maybe you can help me with something. I have a friend who bought a $6000 Cannondale. He rides MTB like a demon. But on the road he only makes 40K's or so before he starts to fade. Infact anything over 60 and he bombs completely. Should I dump him as a friend? :P

No dump him as a friend after he starts kicking your ass on the road as well.
I never took drugs to improve my performance at any time. I will be willing to stick my finger into a polygraph test if anyone with big media pull wants to take issue. If you buy a signed poster now it will not be tarnished later. --Graeme Obree

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

KH1 wrote:
stella-azzurra wrote:Why would you care about the posers. If they have the money to buy expensive stuff and not be able to ride like a pro who cares. Just pass them and move on.

I pass them slowly so I can ogle their bikes.......

Had a situation last month where I was rubber necking to perve at the new Audi to my left when out of the corner of my right eye a 595 Ultra passed me other the other side of the road.

Tinea nearly ended up in a tree! :oops:

lolz indeed :lol:

KH1

by KH1

stella-azzurra wrote:
KH1 wrote:Maybe you can help me with something. I have a friend who bought a $6000 Cannondale. He rides MTB like a demon. But on the road he only makes 40K's or so before he starts to fade. Infact anything over 60 and he bombs completely. Should I dump him as a friend? :P

Just got back from a quick 50 with him - he has promised to get better but not better than me....... or else - DUMPED! :lol:

@TP Those Audi's have magical powers.....
Don't let the truth get in the way of good story...
2023 Propel Advanced SL (Growing in the Petrie dish)
2022 Trance Advanced Pro 1
2021 Revolt Advanced 1
2020 TCR Advanced SL 0 (Dead)
2019 Fathom 1 29er
2017 TCR Advanced Pro 0

Mapei down under

by Mapei down under

stella-azzurra wrote:Why would you care about the posers. If they have the money to buy expensive stuff and not be able to ride like a pro who cares. Just pass them and move on.

Well I have to agree that sometimes I :roll: my eyes at them out there on super bikes and no idea about riding them BUT the more of them that start riding and enjoy it means they are more likely to be tolerant of cyclists.

Driving their Audi they might ogle the bikes people are riding as they go rather than try and run us off of the road. They are putting money into the industry and helping out retailers as well which can't be a bad thing.

I'd think that would be enough reason to slow down for a minute to say hello and encourage them a little.
"I love a sunburnt country, its sweeping hills and plains. Where the red earth meets the blue sky and it never bloody rains".
Doc Neeson - The Angels (Skin and Bone).

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

swinter wrote:There is nothing so special as riding you bike up a 5-10 mile climb. Then, there are the phreds with the full kits and the $10,000 bikes who crack after 20, 30, . . . miles.

It's a good thing to encourage everyone to bike: I do. All the time. But there are serious people who do the best they can and, then, there are the poseurs.

We all know who they are.

Nah. There are people who can afford expensive stuff to use when just trying to get into a sport, and chose to do that. And there are those who are jealous of them, and feel that the only way that you can qualify to have the best, is to have worked your way up to it.

$5,000 for a bike, $1,000 for the kit, for some people isn't really that much wedge. Get over it, allow them to enjoy it, and move on.

drjones96

by drjones96

If all I could afford to ride was a dirt cheap mixed component road bike that's my own problem. I don't blame the wealthy guy who decides to get into cycling by dropping $20k on some gear. Envyous....yeah....

Optimo-GmC

by Optimo-GmC

I have a 2008 SS with Chorus, Hollowgram and Eurus, but I'm not a pro!

I just enjoy to ride it and I'm happy with my stuff. Alltough a racer with a minor bike can pass me... Then again, I pass people with a superduper expensive Pina with Bora's...

Just enjoy your ride!

Nice posts!
2011 Cannondale Flash 29er (in order)
2008 Cannondale SuperSix
2007 Cannondale Taurine (for sale)

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

My old bike, at maybe 20% of the cost of my current bike and equipped with Sora, got easily 4 to 5 times the admiring comments than the BMC gets.

Go figure.