Quick Step to sue for Boonen in Tour?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Irish

by Irish

Of course the ASO could disinvite QS from the Tour and the problem for ASO is solved. They could invite Simiones team instead ...... now that would stir it up a bit. :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Timo

by Timo

LucVR wrote:Indeed they can. That is exactly my point. They can do so on whatever grounds they want, as long as they can build a story around it that rider X is harming the image of the sport.

They don't even have to build a story because the TdF is simply ASO's party and they can invite whoever they like. That's why I wonder what QS thinks they can achieve by going to court. It's sort of taking the birthdayboy to court because he did not invite you to his party, or isn't it?

But for that matter: Boonen has the status of a pop-idol in Flanders and role model. I think his behaviour DOES harm the image of the sport and more than that.
And if I ever meet an aardvark, I'm going to step on its damn protruding nasal implement until it couldn't suck up an insect if its life depended on it.

Roobay

by Roobay

Perhaps I was a bit harsh using that euphemism "fading career" although a rider of his calibre not in the biggest race of the calender means too me he is on a slippery slope and if he isn't very careful his career will be over fast that you can ASO!
Tom boonen is a great rider and QS are A great team but they all need to start to show a better reaction to a difficult situation.
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

Ypsylon

by Ypsylon

Timo wrote:That's why I wonder what QS thinks they can achieve by going to court. It's sort of taking the birthdayboy to court because he did not invite you to his party, or isn't it?

It's definetly more complicated than that. Quick Step is invited and I'm sure there are contracts fixing this. And it's QS's call what riders they want to bring. They can lose that right if a rider gets caught doped or similar.

If ASO could just uninvite QS riders until there are non left that could finish the first stage would render the contract saying that QS may participate useless and is therefor forbidden.

Declaring Boonen persona non grata is somewhere in between that, not obviously rendering the entire contract useless, but definetly against the interst of your contract partner and should therefor be handled with great care. I don't know much about French law, but I can see QS winning.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasures of a bike ride," said John F. Kennedy, a man who had the pleasure of Marilyn Monroe.

LucVR

by LucVR

The Tour is not ASO 's exclusive party, it runs under UCI regulation, so ASO has agreed to play by their rules also. Therefore I think it is just plain wrong to ban a rider that has officially done nothing wrong by UCI regulation.

CharlesM

by CharlesM

You're reading too much into the rules and might suffer a bit of a short memory (Astana last year)

ASO have the ability to invite who they please... The UCI rules work to the extent the Tour allow.

LucVR

by LucVR

Don't worry Pez, my memory is fine :) I remember Astana last year.
But the problem especially in cycling today with teams and organisers is that a rider is condemned and punished from the first rumour. They don't even have the decency anymore to consider an athlete innocent until proven guilty. How many of us would just sit quietly and accept being fired on the assumption of abuse without proof?
Yes, the top riders are high profile people and some of them should think twice about how they act in publiic, including Boonen, but now it often seems like they're just expected to quietly swallow any wild accusation and following punishment thrown at them. Even when in most cases the rumour turns out to be true, organisers and teams should have the common sense and decency to just wait for the definitive conclusion of a proper investigation.
The discussions and debates on doping and other abuse are endless (we 've proven that here on several occasions :D ), but the rules are what they are. They are always up for improvement, which is of course a good thing, it 's an ongoing proces, but if you 're going to accuse somebody of doing something wrong, stick to the rules you have at that time to decide whether that person is guilty or not.

rustychain

by rustychain

Perhaps QS is just trying to underline what the feel is an unfair call by ASO and know full well the will most likely fail in court
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

crazy_vegan

by crazy_vegan

imagine what would happen if ASO took control of football in the UK :lol: empty pitches!

i think Boonen should be allowed to ride, we must not forget that race winners like Tom are under a lot of stress to perform so it's natural that when they have a night out on the lash they are going to push the boat out. good on him i say!

Wingnut

by Wingnut

Maybe Boonen wouldn't be available for the Tour if he was in jail like any other civilian would have been for breaking parole? :wink:

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Well, then maybe he could still ride in this version of the Tour de France.
http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/tour-de ... -bike-race

rustychain

by rustychain

I think I found my new team!
Those guards will never catch me ;)
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

Wingnut wrote:Maybe Boonen wouldn't be available for the Tour if he was in jail like any other civilian would have been for breaking parole? :wink:

i totally agree. double standards for celebs make a lot more damage than those of ASO's

JackLawrenceXXX

by JackLawrenceXXX

Sorry, but the ex cop has to chime in here..... seriously, the guy F-d up... not once, not twice, but THREE times.... 3 times that he was CAUGHT no less... who knows how many times he did it? His team backing his is so tacky... what kind of message is this sending to kids out there.... (Go ahead and ask a 12 year old about this... and imagine them at a party in the future, and wonder if it's gonna be 'okay' to play around with drugs)

Make an example of the guy... and show the world that drugs are bad.... there's always another rider ready for the spotlight... someone who deserves to be there....

If you're a good looking, ex World Champ and still win races, why, oh, why would you need to do blow? :noidea: Stupid!

Yeah, he has a problem, and someone should help him, but before people start sueing, making posters and marching in protest of his Italian ban, let's not forget who stepped upto the mirror and commited a Felony. (well @ least in the USA I assume the same in Belgium)

IF Specialized continues to back a guy like this, I am rubbing the letters off my helmet.

Same thing goes for Chris Brown, who just got 5 years probation and no jail time for beating the hell out of his girlfriend..... young, good-looking, driving a Lambo and famous... and he dosn't have a self preservation instinct intact enough to keep from beating... a woman?

If the media, society and sports teams don't put their foot down on stuff like this, we have nobody to blame for the future... the message is clear... if you're rich, famous or sprint well, you're imune from the rules.... and what kind of example is that?
-Jack Lawrence
Follow me, hate me or just laugh at me.... it's all good... just never say I am not excited and thinking outside the box! The true spirt of Weight Weenism!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1NadYdEW3Y
Jack@JackLawrenceXXX.com

Leviathan

by Leviathan

JackLawrenceXXX wrote:.. what kind of message is this sending to kids out there.... (Go ahead and ask a 12 year old about this... and imagine them at a party in the future,

Nice ethical highhorse.

Now go away and arrange these words into a phrase:

pot
kettle
black
calling the
"I saw you with elephants hosing down some dwarves on black and white TV" - Ode to Anthony H Wilson

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com