Time RXR Ulteam in two pieces after accident.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maxima

by maxima

That is definitely a SLR since it has a Bladed Spoke like the Mavic Ultimates. I've the Ultimates and when U zoom in on the picture, the spokes is definitely carbon bladed, just like Ultimates or the Lightweights.

TheFatGuy wrote:looks like regular SL's to me

Sacke

by Sacke

TheBugMan wrote:Any damage to the Mavic wheels?

There was no damage to the wheels. The front wheel was fully inflated after the accident. :) According to the LBS owner, and the former owner, in crashes like this, it's often the wheel OR the frame that gets totaled. In this case the wheel has hit the car straight on, transferring the whole impact into the fork -> frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mario Jr.

by Mario Jr.

maxima wrote:That is definitely a SLR since it has a Bladed Spoke like the Mavic Ultimates. I've the Ultimates and when U zoom in on the picture, the spokes is definitely carbon bladed, just like Ultimates or the Lightweights.

TheFatGuy wrote:looks like regular SL's to me

Nope, the SLR has much larger hub flanges in carbon.

Cycloholic

by Cycloholic

First of all the point is that your friend is recovering and he will be able to get a new rxr (or whatever) again!!
I'm really sorry for the frame!I 'm surprised about the time's answer!

Sacke

by Sacke

Cycloholic wrote:First of all the point is that your friend is recovering and he will be able to get a new rxr (or whatever) again!!
I'm really sorry for the frame!I 'm surprised about the time's answer!

My friend is already recovering fast, and I am not surprised by Time's answer. They have been developing their carbon fiber manufacturing processes, and we have seen completely shredded frames repaired to a new condition.

It's not a good example of comparison, but if a "boa" buckle on a Sidi Ergo shoe breaks, and is replaced with a new buckle, does it make the shoe more prone to future breakage?

Time knows how to fix frames by replacing what it replaceable. The quality control might be even better when it is a question of a repaired frame. In case Time says that the frame should not be repaired, but the customer still wants to repair it to save costs, the customer has to sign a waiver and thereby release Time from any responsibility in case of frame failure.

Looking at the two main French manufacturers, Look and Time, there is a significant difference. Look seems to know that the frames may fail in places like the e-post junction with the frame, and they gladly always send a new frame as a replacement.

Time develops a product further and they create a product that allows repair. If not possible, then a crash replacement frame. In any case, I trust Time more than Look... having seen how i.e. the 595 hasn't improved since it's launch.

Anyways... my 2 cents.

Doctor Who

by Doctor Who

On my way home from a training ride on my Redline Conquest (with road slicks), I was coming down a four lane road with parked cars on the right and traffic in the left. I was behind a pickup truck in the middle of the left lane and noticed a yard sale to my right. I looked over to see if they had anything good for sale (always on the hunt for good old road bikes), and when I looked forward again, traffic had stopped for a car turning left and I rode right into the gate of the pickup truck at about 12-15 MPH. I'd hit the brakes hard, but couldn't scrub enough speed.

Long story short, the driver of the truck thought it was his fault that I'd crashed into him, so he gave me a ride home because I was kinda banged up, but not at all seriously hurt. That was a kinda awkward 5 minute drive. I think he was just glad that I wasn't going to call the police, which if they came out, would have cited me. Whoops!

Geoff

by Geoff

Hey! I have a C-40 that looked just like that! I was riding 'pave' wheels with Ambrosio Nemesis 32s. The tire was fine, but the rim looked like it had a quarter cut out of it (squished into the hub, actually). Colnago 'repaired' it, but I think that they just put the same serial-numbered front derailleur hanger on a new frame, as I still have the severed headtube on my desk. I doubt that Look will repair the frame and that you will get a new one from them.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Time do indeed have a repair service. This is one of the advantages of their products - repairability - unlike most of the other premium brands out there. If it was a Cervelo or TCR, it would be dead.

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

I got worried this was Erik's bike when I saw the bike type and your location!

What a nasty thing to happen to such a beautiful bike.
Dimples: Laminar flow separates more easily from a surface than turbulent air. Delayed separation reduces drag. A groove perpendicular to the flow triggers laminar to turbulent conversion. A spinning object uses dimples so an edge always faces the flow.

Sacke

by Sacke

zebragonzo wrote:I got worried this was Erik's bike when I saw the bike type and your location!

What a nasty thing to happen to such a beautiful bike.

It is Erik's bike...