Looking a light weight rain jacket

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HillRPete

by HillRPete

Lots of opinions already ... I've been having success with the Castelli Leggero Jacket. While not completely waterproof it breathes a bit so you don't overheat. Packs down to the size of a small doughnut.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Had to change the title guys. Sorry, was doing my head in.

I really like my Assos Luftschutz - folds away to bugger all, keeps enough rain out and isn't heavy (except in price).

thprice

by thprice

+1 Castelli Leggero Jacket - very light, good arm length, form fit to stop flapping in the wind, folds up very small.
Good for light rain, steady rain and downhill chills ... as yet haven't used it in a big downpour

NAKaveli

by NAKaveli

Castelli Leggaro, amazed how it fits in little pouch that can slip into a back of jersey pocket :thumbup:

sanrensho

by sanrensho

Of the jackets mentioned, is one particularly windproof? I'm looking for a jacket that I can throw on for mountain descents. I have a lightweight Craft windbreaker but it provides barely any wind protection (in addition to being loose and flappy).

HillRPete

by HillRPete

sanrensho, the jackets that claim to be water repellant should be fairly windproof.

In my opinion it's better to have some limited air circulation, otherwise if you pull it over on top you continue to sweat, and the moisture is captured, your jersery can be a bit damp when you remove it down at the bottom.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

wassertreter wrote:sanrensho, the jackets that claim to be water repellant should be fairly windproof.

In my opinion it's better to have some limited air circulation, otherwise if you pull it over on top you continue to sweat, and the moisture is captured, your jersery can be a bit damp when you remove it down at the bottom.

Thanks for the advice. I find that a lot of chills come from the cold air/wind (winter/spring/fall riding) hitting my sweat-dampened clothing. I'm inclined to think my only realistic option is a windproof shell-like jacket made of Windtex or the like. This would not be foldable in a jersey pocket, but would have to be strapped to a saddle bag (my least favorite option).

It seems like the pros take hand-ups that are more like shells than windbreakers, when they start cold alpine descents. (I could be wrong.)

HillRPete

by HillRPete

I don't have a great solution for climbing in cold weather either. Thinking a mesh-back vest for the approach, unzipped for the climb, and a light packable jacket on top for the descent, might work. That would give a double layer of frontal wind protection on the way down.

milroy

by milroy

sanrensho wrote:
Thanks for the advice. I find that a lot of chills come from the cold air/wind (winter/spring/fall riding) hitting my sweat-dampened clothing. I'm inclined to think my only realistic option is a windproof shell-like jacket made of Windtex or the like. This would not be foldable in a jersey pocket, but would have to be strapped to a saddle bag (my least favorite option).

It seems like the pros take hand-ups that are more like shells than windbreakers, when they start cold alpine descents. (I could be wrong.)

The pertex jackets like the Montane Velo are designed to be wind proof, shower proof and fold into a tennis ball size bag.

sanrensho

by sanrensho

milroy wrote:The pertex jackets like the Montane Velo are designed to be wind proof, shower proof and fold into a tennis ball size bag.

Thanks, I'll look into this. Too bad I've never seen Montane locally. I see that Pertex is basically rip-stop nylon, which would be effective (I had a Raceface Aquanot jacket in rip-stop that was quite wind-resistant).

wassertreter wrote:Thinking a mesh-back vest for the approach, unzipped for the climb, and a light packable jacket on top for the descent, might work. That would give a double layer of frontal wind protection on the way down.

Definitely getting closer. :thumbup:

kbbpll

by kbbpll

Since I reopened the thread, I'll follow up. I went with the Endura Pakajak
http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?de ... rod_id=454
for $65 at my LBS. After my first 70 mile ride with two long descents in 58-65F temps I couldn't be happier, and I can't believe I survived without such an item for so long. It is amazingly windproof for such a small compact unit. Easily fits in half a jersey pocket. I cannot comment on water repellence yet. I noticed some puffing up when in a more upright position, but tuck down a little and it goes away. Other brands I compared at the shop did not have the same quality (particularly stitching), features or fit, and the Endura has a longer tighter tail compared with for example the Pearl Izumi Pro Barrier Lite. The "opposite" zipper took a little getting used to, but I guess people in the UK drive on the left too. :) Nice bit o' kit.

cydonian74

by cydonian74

Sportful Survival, you'll go a long way to beat this one! ONLY gripe is no pockets, but other than that its mega! :thumbup:

gmitt98

by gmitt98

The Showers Pass ProTec jacket is pretty awesome and stowable.

http://www.showerspass.com/catalog/men/ ... ro-tech-st

Ghastly

by Ghastly

cydonian74 wrote:Sportful Survival, you'll go a long way to beat this one! ONLY gripe is no pockets, but other than that its mega! :thumbup:

Sportful Hot Pack has 1 (small) pocket, available with or without sleeves, keeps you dry and windfree! ;-)
folds into a little ball that fits easily into a backpocket, €80 with, €40 without sleeves, works for me!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

billysan

by billysan

Another vote for the Rapha new stowaway. One of their better bits of kit.