The stupidest thing you've heard at a bike shop...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

GT56

by GT56

Mr.Gib wrote:Haha, this is hilarious. Frankie, you live in one of the flattest places in the world. Of course a 32 cassette seems silly. Depending on my route home I have about a 100 metres at near 20% right to my driveway. After our weekend hammerfests my 28 is welcome and I use a 32 on my travel bike. Spending two weeks in the Dolomites and enjoying it with less than 34x32 would not be possible. The Zoncolan?

But yeah, on a triple?? :?

Corncob cassette - love it. Gotta remember that one.

Holland is where the share of roadbikes sold with triple cranksets is the largest of all Europe

They have a lot (too much ?) of respect for climbs longer than the ramp leading to the bridge in the middle of Rotterdam

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

Hats off to GT56.

The Dutch are a silly bunch when it comes to road bike gearing. The best part of the consumer market isn't understanding why manufacturers did stop making the triple cranksets for ROADbikes.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djm

by djm

This sounds like a lesson in teaching people that the customer is always right. Some dude wants a triple and a 34? Is it possible? Then let him have it.

joec

by joec

well... tbh triples are shit, but there are reasons for having a low gear.

PoorAuroch

by PoorAuroch

After spending an hour and a half basically teaching a person how to ride a road bike: "If I bought this bike online, how much would it cost to have you assemble it?"

Tomstr

by Tomstr

djm wrote:This sounds like a lesson in teaching people that the customer is always right. Some dude wants a triple and a 34? Is it possible? Then let him have it.

I agree with DJM. I've heard some stupid sh*t in my time but the sequence was always the same.

Customer wants A, you ask about intended use and advise customer to get B. If they still want A and pay for it, order A. :) :smartass:
Ride it like you stole it

LouisN

by LouisN

I went to a LBS last week to buy some shoes.

Saleswoman: "You definitely need a 43, and I would even go bigger for more comfort. I absolutely have to enter my fingers with ease behind you heel."
Me: " Can you please order a pair of 42.5. I tried all the sizes you have. Thank you" :) .

They almost refused to sell me a pair of shoes the size I wanted...

Louis :)

53x12

by 53x12

And people in the cycling industry wonder why many LBS keep struggling. :lol:
"Marginal gains are the only gains when all that's left to gain is in the margins."

OJ

by OJ

Bike Shop Guy "Yeah we have different road cleats for Shimano. Here's Look, Shimano and we have few other brands as well. You can pick the one you prefer."
Me "Ummm....huh???.....Look and Shimano don't mix and match
Bike Shop Guy "no no...they'll work"
Me "I'll take the Shimano cleats please"

I do my best to support the LBS, but sometimes they go out of their way to make it challenging.
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

"You need these"
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Tom14

by Tom14

Frankie - B wrote:Hats off to GT56.

The Dutch are a silly bunch when it comes to road bike gearing. The best part of the consumer market isn't understanding why manufacturers did stop making the triple cranksets for ROADbikes.

Why did the manufacturers stop making triples? A triple crankset is perfect for someone who rides a lot on flat road (flat like Holland) and wants to ride in the mountains/hills in some occasions and isn't a good climber. You have the middle ring (39T) for the flats and the inner ring (30T) for mountains.
Compacts really suck on flat roads, you're always shifting between the inner and outer ring with your chain at the opposite side of the cassette ;)

My gf has a compact on her bike, but whe switched the 34T inner ring for a 39. So she can train properly on the flat roads of Holland ;) When we're going to the Alps, she changes it back for a 34.

shoemakerpom2010

by shoemakerpom2010

I asked if they carry a Park tool to remove my Cannondale crank arms. The employee responded you need the Cannondale tool for their cranks and you can probably get them from ebay or amazon cheaper......I then gave him the crazy look like why would a shop promote buying product cheaper from ebay or amazon? He then asked if I wanted them to order one and I did.....

GT56

by GT56

Tom14 wrote:
Frankie - B wrote:Hats off to GT56.

Why did the manufacturers stop making triples? A triple crankset is perfect for someone who rides a lot on flat road (flat like Holland) and wants to ride in the mountains/hills in some occasions and isn't a good climber. You have the middle ring (39T) for the flats and the inner ring (30T) for mountains.
Compacts really suck on flat roads, you're always shifting between the inner and outer ring with your chain at the opposite side of the cassette ;)

My gf has a compact on her bike, but whe switched the 34T inner ring for a 39. So she can train properly on the flat roads of Holland ;) When we're going to the Alps, she changes it back for a 34.

all depends on the cassette

who, except racers need these silly cassettes starting with 11 or 12

that would lead to larger cassette cogs being placed more towards the middle and therefore present a good chainline

wingguy

by wingguy

GT56 wrote:who, except racers need these silly cassettes starting with 11 or 12

Me.

mattr

by mattr

Pretty sure that most manufacturers offered 13 up cassettes in 10 speed (And junior ratios in some models). Seems to have died a death since 11.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com