The stupidest thing you've heard at a bike shop...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

J-Nice

by J-Nice

We all have stories-let's hear them.

One of my favorites-a few years ago a guy had scratched up his Colnago C-40 and was wondering if there was any place he could send the frame to have it retouched.

Now back in the days Colnagos were famous for their ornate paint jobs, and this particular frame was no different.

The owner of the bike shop couldn't help him. He said he didn't know of anyone.

Here is the kicker-he told his customer that no painter here could duplicate such a paint scheme because in America we did not have the technology to make the stencils.

Only the Italians had such technology. :?: WTF?

This one is pretty damn stupid but I'm sure someone out there can top it.

NS

by NS

Theres no margin in it at this price, business is really slow, etc. etc. etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steponas

by Steponas

A friend of mine bought one of the old-style alu Alans a few years ago , broke it at the BB , took it back to be told that it broke because his tire pressure was too high , this got the response it deserved , was then told he shouldn`t use the bike on cobbles.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

"titanium is a type of steel" - Clarence St. cyclery salesman, circa 2000.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Steponas wrote:A friend of mine bought one of the old-style alu Alans a few years ago , broke it at the BB , took it back to be told that it broke because his tire pressure was too high , this got the response it deserved , was then told he shouldn`t use the bike on cobbles.

That's better than the Alan alu steerer breaking, while JRA. Trust me - I know.

Tapeworm

by Tapeworm

"Oh yeah my top speed is 5-7 kmph faster with those Zipp 303s, they just keep the momentum so easy and spin up fast..."

rustychain

by rustychain

I was once told by a young employee that " yes these clincher tires will work with tubular rims"
I was told that my custom WW mtn bike hard tail set up for cross was obsolete (2 years old at the time) as I had to have a full suspension bike to compete
I will not start a flame war on the Zipp wheel comments I've heard :roll:

Lets not forget steel is real, carbon bikes are faster, and ceramic bearing will add 2 MPh, The new line is improved by now having XX proprietary parts :lol: and last how much seat masts (as opposed to seat posts)improve comfort
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Tubes6al4v

by Tubes6al4v

This is a recent one for me. I popped both tires on my fixie riding down a n off-road path (my fixie is a road bike) without checking my tire pressure beforehand, it was way too low. Anyway, I went one of the local shops in Larvik and asked for a couple of tubes. "160 krowns" I paused for a minute translating this from Norwegian. Started to give him the money and paused again, realizing that was more than $30 for two tubes.

As it was the only shop open in town and I wanted to ride, I did the useual "everything is expensive in Norway" self convincing routine, and moved on. The next week I went into another shop to check their prices (~$12 a tube for regulars). I told him it was better, but that I used to order the same tubes for my shop for a dollar a piece.

His response: "So do we"

Snafuboy

by Snafuboy

I was applying for a job at the shop around the corner from my house (a big fixie shop). Well I was going over my mechanical abilities to the head mechanic and I mentioned I could glue tubular tires he looked at me strange and asked,"Whats a tubular?" He then told me tires just pop on. I decided to not go for that open position after all.....

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Well, maybe he uses the term sew-up, which was the usual term in the U.S. some years back. And they do just pop on. Oh, you want them to stay on when you're riding - then use some glue.

OJ

by OJ

"Bicycle repair service cannot be profitable"
http://demarere.blogspot.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GBFault

by GBFault

Snafuboy wrote:I was applying for a job at the shop around the corner from my house (a big fixie shop). Well I was going over my mechanical abilities to the head mechanic and I mentioned I could glue tubular tires he looked at me strange and asked,"Whats a tubular?" He then told me tires just pop on. I decided to not go for that open position after all.....

Shame on you for trying to get a job there. Shame on you. I know Jill's Sweets would be on the way home, but come on Donny!

Tapeworm wrote:"Oh yeah my top speed is 5-7 kmph faster with those Zipp 303s, they just keep the momentum so easy and spin up fast..."

LOL!

Kinda reminds me...

I remember asking a guy, who worked at a defunct Supergo bike shop in Orange County, during the Pomona Valley Stage Race how he liked his new Spinergy Spox. He lit up and replied enthusiastically, "They are awesome! They wind up like rubber bands and FLING you in sprints!"

Exar

by Exar

When my dad brought in his Cannondale Synapse for some minor service (I'd do it but I was on vacation) the LBS told my dad that the only decent carbon frames where Pinarello's, the rest was Taiwan-made crap. The funniest part was that the frame he showed my dad was an F4:13, which is (at least partially) made in Taiwan... aaah, the ignorance.
Chains to the right!

mrfish

by mrfish

Frames
Me: So, what is the difference between this frame and that one, other than about £200?
Salesguy: Well that one has a sloping top tube so it's a much more relaxed geometry, gives a better ride etc.
Me: So what exaclty makes it more relaxed? According to the brochures those bikes both have 73.5 degree seat tubes.
Salesguy: The top tube
Me: Really, I always thought the top tube just joined up the seat and head tubes, and that the seat and head tube angles are what made it more / less relaxed, and on those bikes they are the same.
Salesguy: Oh, well I don't know much - I haven't done product training on road bikes. I just ride my MTB.
Me: AAaaargh.

Lights
Me: I am thinking about getting a brighter light than my commuting lights. What do you recommend?
Saleslady: We don't have anything.
Me: Well what about those 2 under your hand through the glass counter?
Saleslady: Oh yeah, these are great. They're much brighter than normal ones and last for ages. Stops talking, stands still and looks at me.
Me: Well, can I have a look at them?
Saleslady: Reaches under the counter, switches on the lights so that they shine in my eyes, stands up again
Me: They're shining in my eyes
Saleslady: I was just showing how bright they are
Me: (turned round) Well they're blinding me. Perhaps you could get them out from under the counter so that I can look at them?
Saleslady: OK
Me: What is the difference between this one and that one?
Saleslady: Well I have no idea. JOHN, can you come and serve this customer
John arrives and starts lots of moderately informed babble about the lights. He recommends I go to one of their bigger stores to try a broader range. I agree I will go elsewhere.

Where did this occur? Let's just say one of the largest London chains. What drives me nuts is that sales people can't be bothered to acquire basic knowledge about the products they want to shift. Training is one thing, but reading the brochures then being able to look at 2 frames and say 'this one has round tubes and this one has oval' then read the stickers on the frame aint rocket science. Yes the products are complicated and you can't be expected to know everything, but basic competence is needed.

Seems like the wrong people are working in these stores - people who want to earn £10 per hour for doing as little as possible and don't really ride bikes themselves.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nightrider

by Nightrider

Now you will have to consider that Im in Australia and work in Australian dollars. Sometime last year I went into one of the local highend shops in the hope of getting a quote for getting some wheels built. Basically I described that i wanted some handbuilt crit wheels. In the end i decided on Ultegra hubs, DT champion spokes laced to Reflex's. Anyone want to take a guess at the price the saleperson in the shop quoted me??

$1300!! :shock: I nearly fell on my ass. Even in Australia where everything is expensive, at full retail its only $475 worth of parts!! Either they took me for a fool or someone was really stupid.