So what did you do this weekend?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

djconnel

by djconnel

I was suffering major physical burn-out: two weeks, no workouts of any time. I'm coming back slowly on the bike, but am also finding my running legs, as I want to do a few foot races in the off-season. I think rest weeks are a wonderful way to avoid overloading the body's ability to recover. Next year, I'm going to enforce a week of rest (no hard rides at all) every 6, to avoid repeating what happened to me this year.

On the running subject, I strongly recommend Chi Running. It describes how to run with quads, rather than knees and calves, and I find I'm able to transition into running without the soreness I anticipated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

icculus

by icculus

This weekend I was riding 24.5 miles and over 4,000 feet up Mt Baker for the 542 hillclimb. I came in 14th at sometime around 1 hour 23 mintues. The official results are not released yet but here is a picture up near the top.

KyleM

by KyleM

I didn't ride this past weekend, but I rode in the Mavic car for a few laps of the Tour of Missouri. After that I had dinner with the Columbia team. Then hit the post race party. It was a pretty cool weekend.

rustychain

by rustychain

djconnel,
Could you shed some info on Chi running. I'm trying cross after not running for years and very interested in learning some tips so I don't end up in a wheel chair
WW Velocipedist Gargantuan

Taz

by Taz

I just did a 250km race where it rained for the whole duration. Not only that but I was in summer clothing (as in shorts and jersey, no leg or arm warmers) and the temperature was 11C.
I believe it was the stupidest thing (bicycle wise at least) I have ever done.

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Was supposed to do a climb up Puig Major, the only day of the year when they open up the military base at the top, with ~1500m of climbing..but it was absolutely wazzing it down, and the chances of being hit by one of the 400 others on the descent made me bin it at the start of the main climb.
Oh well, next year...
"I saw you with elephants hosing down some dwarves on black and white TV" - Ode to Anthony H Wilson

Starter

by Starter

Moving on to this weekend (no 3-day, so sad)... 41 miles on Friday, 122 miles this Saturday, and planning a 10 mile spin tomorrow just to loosen up the legs for the week...

eightace

by eightace

This is what my weekends are taken up with now....

theremery

by theremery

5+ hour ride today.......went as well as could be expected :)
Sunny...good company...not much wind...great terrain :)
AHHH :)
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

theremery

by theremery

Oh yeah....and Saturdays ride (race....for about 14km...then.......) had an exciting moment. See "Scandium b.b." in the road forum. Cost me a set of cleat and pretty much stuffed my shoes too!
Updated: Racing again! Thought this was unlikely! Eventually, I may even have a decent race!
Edit: 2015: darn near won the best South Island series (got second in age
-group)..woo hoo Racy Theremery is back!!

collideous

by collideous

Couple of hours on my 29er SS on Saturday. It was an awesome chilly autumn day. The sun was out and hardly anyone had ventured out to the trails; only had to share them with some Scottish Highland cattle (on Swiss pastures). Miles? Don't know. I don't own a cycling computer. Photos? Although I brought a camera along, I forgot to charge the battery. The afternoon was spent watching the women WC and doing laundry.
blogging at 29in.ch

mythical

by mythical

eightace wrote:This is what my weekends are taken up with now....

Absolutely adorable! Congratulations! Much better than riding a bike I think! (although you may want to have that option available, particularly as time passes...) :D

Name? Weight? ;)

GrahamB

by GrahamB

mythical wrote:Name? Weight? ;)

With or without titanium diaper pins? 8)

Back to the mundane:
Saturday: after feeling burnt out and staying off the bike for 2 weeks, our new post-doc asked to go for a ride. My 46yo ego was
suitably chuffed that he was a wreck after 80km.

Sunday: took the mtb up to St Martin en Haut in the Monts Lyonnais... and left my camelback, with wallet, food, spare tube, pump and food
on the table :( So a perfect way to try out lightweight wheels (ZTR race) and tyres (Crows) on a rocky trail :lol: Anway, rode up to the
Col de la Brosse and back without doing any damage, then checked out the billy-cart racers :thumbup:

Absolutely superb weekend weather for the start of autumn, too :)
Graham

xnavalav8r

by xnavalav8r

[quote="eightace"]This is what my weekends are taken up with now....

[quote]

Try one of these... Not only is it a good power workout on the road or off, but it's a great equalizer too. My wife is a novice rider. She was very intimidated to ride with me despite my assurance that we would ride within her comfort zone. Hauling trailer, child, diaper bag, cooler with bottle, and some toys in addition to my own load is a great workout and keeps my pace tolerable for my wife.

http://ted-n-skii.spaces.live.com/photo ... 02_owner=1