ANT+ Powertap available

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

djconnel

by djconnel

In VeloNews:
http://www.velonews.com/article/77542/s ... -powertaps

Nice for the iBike aero, which now will be able to calculate CdA without confounding influence of drivetrain losses.

ras11

by ras11

This is great! But the prices.... ouch! Not for me thanks. $500 for ceramic bearings... the market guy at Saris must subscribe to the same insane-buyer theory as the LEW market guy.
:-) Toys-R-Us

Dalai

by Dalai

ras11 wrote:This is great! But the prices.... ouch! Not for me thanks. $500 for ceramic bearings... the market guy at Saris must subscribe to the same insane-buyer theory as the LEW market guy.

Maybe not a good price for the Powertap with the Ceramic bearings, but the other models look to have a price drop plus the option of a wireless Powertap with Steel freehub for training longevity is nice :wink:

The consumer is the winner with the additional competition in the Power meter market!

djconnel

by djconnel

the numbers (from CyclingNews article)
PowerTap Elite+ (US$999.99, 625g)
PowerTap Pro+ (US$1199.99, 475g): $1.33/gram
PowerTap SL+ (US$1599.99, 416g): $6.78/gram + stiffer axle
PowerTap SLC+ (US$2399.99): + ceramic bearings

To me, the sweet spot is the Pro+, as I run a $5/gram limit, and hub mass is essentially static (not rotating). It does spin, but the associated kinetic energy is extremely small compared to translational kinetic energy. I don't know the benefit of the stiffer axle.

I wonder the incompatibility between old and new powertaps. Can you swap old and new wheels with old or new head units? Can you swap head units on new wheels?

edit: reading comprehension again suffers... from the article:
An eventual firmware upgrade (price and exact availability to be determined) will easily bring existing wireless units up to date without the need for any additional hardware.

update: It was stated that the hubs will transmit two packets per datum: one in ANT+ Sport, one in Powertap encoding (reduced hub battery life?). The head units will continue to be Powertap only. Thus there's no compatibility issues within Powertap hardware. And Powertap head units will not be able to read non-Powertap ANT+ hardware.

gregclimbs

by gregclimbs

djconnel wrote:: reading comprehension again suffers... from the article:
An eventual firmware upgrade (price and exact availability to be determined) will easily bring existing wireless units up to date without the need for any additional hardware.

I believe this is coming in oct (after the show of course) and I understand it to be close to $100 to upgrade to ant+sport.

g

MikesBike

by MikesBike

But not available in EU (at the moment) Stupid @$#$%