On the road today...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Actually Ive driven that road in a campervan some 25 years ago- my dad was based in a military base in NW US and we did some of those god awful family "lets tour the western US together holiday things". Id really like to go back and see it when its not something you see from the back of a sweaty car day 24 on the road

by Weenie

ultyguy

by ultyguy

efeballi wrote:Set out to do a quick ride... then remembered the Gran Fondo challenge on Strava. So yeah, 135 km ride.
Blazing sun and 32 C was no good, even worse as I had only one bottle.
[url]http://www.strava.com/activities/146879579[url]

The beach at the Black Sea shore.

The road along the Bosphorus(this is near the north end, near Sariyer). Only one lane each way, cars maneuvering for parking or making U-turns frequently block the road.

I get to Istanbul a couple of times a year on business and when flying in there looks like some great riding once you get out of the city. Such a beautiful place! Doubt I'll ever have time to bring my bike....

efeballi

by efeballi

Exactly. Both sides of the Bosphorus have awesome roads once you're out of the city.
PM me when/if you visit Istanbul and I'll try to arrange a bike for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SHUT UP LEGS
2015 Giant Propel Advanced
2013 KTM Strada mod. GOT IT BACK!
2011 Pinarello Dogma 60.1(loaner)
2011 Scott SUB 45(sold)

Politecnico di Milano Ingegneria Meccanica

jmilliron

by jmilliron

2013 Wilier Cento1 SR || 2009 Ridley Crossbow || 2011 Yeti AS-R 5 Carbon

istigatrice

by istigatrice

We're having a brutal winter down in Adelaide :shock:

I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

worstshotever

by worstshotever

I fell in love with Adelaide when I visited circa 2003. Our winter in DC was interminable this year, so I feel your pain.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

From the weekends ride, it started out sunny, then the rain come! Hard to see but in the background is the Barrabool Hills shrouded in rain, as taken from Dog Rocks! :thumbup:

basilic

by basilic

A day off, Pentecôte is a holiday.
Tour from Aigle (town visible in photo below)

descending col de la Pierre du Moellé

approaching Diablerets

col de la Croix

Routier

by Routier

Wow. That is all I have to say.

JamieL

by JamieL

Great pics as always Basilic. I'm heading to Lausanne for a couple of days tomorrow, any tips for good places to ride?

basilic

by basilic

thanks Routier, it's easy to take nice pictures in that scenery.
Jamie, sure. Will you have full days for riding or just after-work spins? get a cycling map, or look here: http://map.schweizmobil.ch/ (places mentioned below show up nicely on the map)
You should definitely ride through the Lavaux vineyards above the lake. Exit Lausanne by the lake, eastward, and in Lutry take the small road toward Aran, Grandvaux, Riex, Chexbres. If you then continue by the lake through Vevey, Montreux, Villeneuve, you get to some nice climbs. From Villeneuve head up toward Sonchaux, ride up to col de Chaude (tough!). That's a dead end, on the way back turn to Sonchaux, then Caux. Take a right there to Les Avants, a go up to col de Jaman in passing, from les Avants there are endless options to take you back to Vevey and eventually Lausanne.
Take the train to Aigle or Bex. Yesterday we rode from Aigle, Yvorne, Corbeyrier up to les Agites (some tough sections, up to 15-16%, and a tunnel with decent visibility), then a military road above lac de l'Hongrin, up to col de Pierre du Moëllé (tough last km!), down to le Sépey, a secondary road to la Forclaz (a sign says it's blocked by roadwork, not true!), then a small road to les Diablerets, col de la Croix, Villars, Ollon. About 80 km and 2600 climbing.
Attn: Beyond les Agites it's military zone, often closed on week days. If so it's better to climb la Croix from Bex (smaller road) going counterclockwise. For a full day in the saddle you would then go from Diablerets to Gstaad over col du Pillon, then Saanenmoser (a right turn after you exit Gstaad), Zweisimmen, just before Boltigen turn left to col de Jaun, in Jaun village hard left to Abländschen, Mittelberg, Saanen, Château d'Oex, col des Mosses, down to Aigle. That'll be 4000 m climbing.
Make note of the wine-colored biking route signs that take you off the main traffic roads, usually excellent solutions (on downhills I prefer often the bigger roads, you can go faster). Eg from Saanenöser to Zweisimmen, or from Rougemont to C d'Oex).
Sorry about the excessive detail... Have fun!

JamieL

by JamieL

Cheers, some good pointers!

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

Meantime, my France trip got cancelled due to the SCNF strikes.

Pretty gutted.

Here are some shots from around my way.

Dalai

by Dalai

That's bad news TP!

Dodger747

by Dodger747

Finding my way around Brussels on my new bike - need to get out of the city, some crazy local 'rules' of the road...

VO2 Max - 79 ml/kg/min
W/kg - 4.9

by Weenie