On the road today...

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

makoy

by makoy

CulBaire wrote:
PSM wrote:The cold? How Cold in C?

It's not so much the cold at this time of year, but the wind! Today is feeling still at 40kph w/ 50kph gusts; compared to yesterday's 60-70kph w/ 100kph gusts though most of the day. Although having moved from the much warmer QLD, I am still adjusting to the cold.

What brings you to our humble town Makoy?

Geelong is my wife's hometown(city) :D we usually visit the parents and inlaws during school break. I was just there last march after doing IM Melbourne and XTERRA in Anglesea.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crankdxb

by crankdxb

Weekend ride, just passing by...

Crocodile Park at Mushrif.

CulBaire

by CulBaire

makoy wrote:
CulBaire wrote:
PSM wrote:The cold? How Cold in C?

It's not so much the cold at this time of year, but the wind! Today is feeling still at 40kph w/ 50kph gusts; compared to yesterday's 60-70kph w/ 100kph gusts though most of the day. Although having moved from the much warmer QLD, I am still adjusting to the cold.

What brings you to our humble town Makoy?

Geelong is my wife's hometown(city) :D we usually visit the parents and inlaws during school break. I was just there last march after doing IM Melbourne and XTERRA in Anglesea.

Ha, your wife would refer to Geelong as "town" rather than city :P

If you're bringing a bike, let me know we could go smash out a ride or two... Shame Tinea Pedis is in Belguim at the moment, 3 WW members in Geelong at once would have to be a record :mrgreen:

erty65

by erty65

What is that(the tunnel)?

djm

by djm

National TT champs today.. Not too fast, but an improvement over last year's.

7ducati

by 7ducati

You'd be even faster if you put that hand down out of the wind! J/k, of course ;)
2017 Cervélo S3
2016 Santa Cruz Stigmata

Miller

by Miller

Wasn't sure why British farmers grow these poppies but it turns out it really is for morphine.

basilic

by basilic

Several small cols in the Voirons yesterday (Saxel, Ludran, Perret, Plaine-Joux, Jambaz, Arces, Cou)

basilic

by basilic

Chapelle-Rambaud

on Salève

the city below

djm

by djm

basilic, did it rain? :-)

basilic

by basilic

rain is a weak word for it.
Tke sky was black to the left of the last photo, and from the shape of the water fountain the storm was coming in fast. I zoomed down just in time.

ultyguy

by ultyguy

Jesus did it ever rain! Grand Bo cyclo was a gullywasher, but not that cold so ok and a lot less stormy than later on, that's for sure.

Bas- amazing shots of the homeland as always, oh how I love to ride here, you do it justice!

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

basilic wrote:Several small cols in the Voirons yesterday (Plaine-Joux)

Do you descend by the same road you climbed Plaine-Joux?

I went there and thought it was a dead-end? I think with an allround-bike it is possible to climb by the gravel road until Lac de Pormenaz?! That would be incredible. I was hiking there and it gave me some ideas :mrgreen:

basilic

by basilic

Samuel, it's not the same Plaine-Joux. The one you're talking about is above Passy. It's not a col if I recall, and the paved road dead-ends. A good dirt road goes up toward chalet d'Anterne but if I recall lac de Pormenaz is for hikers or MTBs. I have only hiked there.

Col de Plaine-Joux can be climbed from 3 sides (Onnion, Bogève, Villard); I came from Villard and descended to Onnion. Put any of these into www.viamichelin.fr to find it. I have seen it called col de l'Avernaz on some websites but Plaine-Joux is what people use here.

In the old patois joux means forested mountain (same root as Jura), plaine-joux is place where the forest flattens out. Btw Joux-Plane (between Samoens and Morzine) means the same thing, yet another col.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

by Samuel Sanchez Gonzalez

Thanks for the heads up and the idea of parcours