what radar should i chose?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

simon
Resident Pro

by simon

what radar model comes closest to a pro m frame with sweep lense?
there are so many possibilities and i don't want to order something wrong...
thanks!

DownhillRacer

by DownhillRacer

nothing comes close to a m-frame!
(the look is completely different, m-frame with sweep looks very thin and light, all radars look big because of the massive frame. radar is much too expensive for what you get for your money)
on the edge

by Weenie

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Simon,

DHRacer is correct in that the Radar is quite a different animal than the M frame. You do get used to them after awhile and hardly notice you are wearing them. I was using the sweep and the hybrid S shapes in the M frames and the Radar Path lens comes closest to them. The Pitch is a little big bigger than the Path and is mainly different in how it curves down from side to side at the bottom of the lens whereas the Path is cut straighter across the bottom. The Range is a huge lens and I wouldn't even consider it.

THE thing about the Radars is the lens and the treatment they apply. I could go three hours in 90 deg heat and 95% rel. humidity this summer and have nothing smeared on my lenses blocking my vision. With the M frame lenses, I would get 20 mins at most under those conditions before I would have to stop and clean them so I could see out of them.

Roobay

by Roobay

Best lenses i have used, had to stop using all my Rudys, can not use anything else but Oakley Radars now!
Cheers
john
i like people... i just can't stand assholes

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I was thinking about this as I was riding this morning with my Radar Paths. The Path lens is the smallest of the three options, but its shape gives such great coverage that I can't imagine wanting a bigger shaped lens like the Pitch or the Range.

NS

by NS

I have to say I am totally impressed with the radars but I still have my M-frames. I dont do lens changing though.

The best lens for dull is Hi-int persimmon, but for an all round cloud/bright conditions I think the blue or G30 are pretty much spot on.

Lens shape - path is closest to sweep

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Those tints are nice.

I have collected a few Radar tints now:

Bronze Polarized: V Nice in the bright sun. Polarization is excellent
Black Ir Polarized: V dark. Must be really... really sunny to use these.
Blue Iridium: Beautiful lens for sunny days
Fire Iridium: Just got it and still evaluating but same as M Frame Fire Irid.
Grey: Okay. Got it mainly to get another frame.
Hi Int Persimmon: Great for overcast and grey days.
Clear: The one for night rides.
G20 Black Iridium: Haven't used much. Might be nice for winter days.

That's a lot, but it doesn't come close to the 30+ lenses I have for M frames!!!!

I would like to see them do more polarized lenses - especially the Amber Pol. What a wonderful lens that is. Also, a Hi Int Blue lens would be great too.

They are a great product, but I still wouldn't say that, aside from the excellent lens treatment coating, that they are better than the M Frames.
Last edited by BdaGhisallo on Fri Nov 09, 2007 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NS

by NS

I find hi-int blue m-frames best for night rides

Is the fire now available, good stuff I am in the US in a couple of weeks so I'll pick a pair up then with a fire lens

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Yep the Fire is available as a replacement lens. The part number for the Path lens is 11-378. I don't know that it's available as part of a complete sunglass. I don't even think it's offered as part of the custom program as it's not shown on the website as being so.

Here's the link to all the replacement lenses available in Path:

http://oakley.com/pd/4848

I have seen one or two lens options show up on Ebay as part of the Asian Fit Radars that are not shown on the Oakley site. Hi Intensity Yellow is the one that comes immediately to mind.

by Weenie

kingtom

by kingtom

hi simon

you know, actually i'm wearring the m-frame sweep to. so many years now. the for a change is coming :lol:

i was at the towersports in rappi. they have a good oakley assortment. i tried the radar path. thats the one i'll take.

but downhillracer is right. the radar will never be the same as the m-frame. the radar fits better i think.