Stelvio, Gavia ….bike problem.

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

wineguy

by wineguy

I have been a long term reader of this forum due to the great information that is available here not just on light weight issues but also high quality components and insights into the latest available equipment. Not that my current bike reflects this.

A business and research trip to Piedmont has caused me a small problem that I hope that some of you may be able to help with. I will be spending most of next May (2008) in Piedmont but have arranged some time right at the end of the month to climb the Stelvio, Gavia & Mortorolo (hoping that they are open at this point).

My problem is that living in New Zealand it’s a long way to bring my bike just for a 3 or 4 days and If I did I’m not that keen on dragging it around with me the rest of the time I'm in Italy and France.
Is it possible to hire a good quality light climbing bike in Italy and get it set up well? Do you think I’m better off bringing my own bike? Is buying a new bike a realistic option considering I’ll have to ship it back with me (I do like the Canyons)?

I would really appreciate getting members opinions and experiences on this sort of problem.

LJ
WWotY 2006 / Smart convert

by LJ

If you give them enough notice www.comobike.com hire bikes out. They are a 2 to 3 hour ride from the Stelvio though. I'm assuming you would have to drive past there being located in Piedmont.

Buying a bike in Italy is always exciting but wouldnt that be the same as "dragging" your current bike with you :wink:

by Weenie

micky

by micky

+1 on what LJ just said.

Plus if you're in Piemonte you will need to sleep out at leats 1 night for do those climbs so anyway, yeah you could try to contact como bike and see if they can help you out.

wineguy

by wineguy

Thanks guy's thats just the lead I was after, I'll contact Comobike

Tristan

by Tristan

If you line up some accommodation in Piemonte, maybe you can fly with your bike to Europe then courier it to the accommodation. They can hold onto it while you do business and it will be there for you when you're ready?

Or maybe this is the perfect excuse to have a custom ti frame with S&S couplers built :wink:
Wheelworks.co.nz
New Zealand handbuilt wheels