bikeshops in New-York ?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

SLight

by SLight

what are the bike shops worth visiting while in NY ?

Thanks !!

by Weenie

Warblade

by Warblade

R&A Cycles has some pretty cool stuff. I hear their customer service sucks though.
www.ChrisDiRe.com

Adam Hansen wrote:Sponsors should not have to go, its the doped riders that should be shot instead, in the knee caps would be nice.

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

Conrad's is sort of a legendary local shop in the city...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

Philip

by Philip

Cadence Cycling, high end store/training center in TriBeCa

Stolichnaya

by Stolichnaya

Bicycle Renaissance on the Upper West Side- ask for Shane Hall. Most shops in NYC have an attitude problem with the staff. Shane Hall is a gentleman.

There is also Toga Bikes, which used to be an icon on the West Side, but they were taken over by Metro Bikes (or something like that) a few years ago and fired all the original guys who were quirky and cool.

MarkeR

by MarkeR

I was in New York in the summer and bought some kit from R & A Cycles in Brooklyn. Found them really helpful with a pretty amazing amount of stock. The strength of the £ vs the $ also made for some bargain buys. :D

It's easy to find as well if you are travelling by subway - just a short walk from the station which is just off 5th Avenue in Brooklyn

J-Nice

by J-Nice

There is nothing wrong with the customer service at R&A. The situation with them is this-

1) They are the highest high-end shop in this whole area-they have EVERYTHING in stock.

2) They DO NOT offer discounts, so don't go in there expecting any.

3) They are all business. They will not stop and chat with you about your latest personal best time around whatever course or hill because they are too busy for that.

4) Phil, his son and his daughter are all very nice people. If you are a frequent customer they WILL remember you. I have always been treated nicely in their shop. Felix, the fitting expert, is quite a character and easy to get along with.

So don't let the whiners put you off doing business with them. The shop is incredible-it is worth the trip just to see how they have everything set up.

Go there, you will not be disappointed.

Warblade

by Warblade

J-Nice wrote:2) They DO NOT offer discounts, so don't go in there expecting any.

3) They are all business. They will not stop and chat with you about your latest personal best time around whatever course or hill because they are too busy for that.

I fully agree on the discount part. It is absolutely ludicrous to go into a bike shop and request for discounts on accessories, or the bike itself. You don't go to the grocery store and ask for discounts do you?

As far as the whole, "they are all business" I kinda-sorta agree/disagree with. If they happen to be busy, then yes don't waste their time. But if they aren't busy and happen to just be killing time (yes, this happens A LOT at bike shops) then I find it rather rude to push the (potential) customer away because they aren't going to buy something just yet. I, personally, believe it to be best to be as friendly to any customer that walks in the door whether or not they buy something that day. Good customer service one day, can lead to a large purchase the next.
www.ChrisDiRe.com

Adam Hansen wrote:Sponsors should not have to go, its the doped riders that should be shot instead, in the knee caps would be nice.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

Warblade wrote:I, personally, believe it to be best to be as friendly to any customer that walks in the door whether or not they buy something that day. Good customer service one day, can lead to a large purchase the next.

Have you ever been to New York or New Jersey? There's a certain style of doing business common there, a style apparently practiced (albeit on the high end of the market) by R&A Cycles.

Youse got a problem with that?

Skunk

by Skunk

HammerTime2 wrote:
Have you ever been to New York or New Jersey? There's a certain style of doing business common there, a style apparently practiced (albeit on the high end of the market) by R&A Cycles.

I believe it's spelled New Joisey.

MaestroXC

by MaestroXC

Only if you're from New York. :wink:
Zealots beware.

Clevor

by Clevor

It's not absolutely correct that R&A Cycles don't offer discounts. They do - to DOD, e.g., if you have an FPO AP address. They and Competitive Cyclist should be applauded for this. The discount is 10%, whether you buy a $10 part or a $10,000 2008 Prince bike.

I've dealt with Albert at R&A and he's been very helpful. They also reply to all e-mail. Same for CC.

A bit off topic, but Russell Knives gives something like a 20% discount to DOD.

drainyoo

by drainyoo

NYC Velo and SID's are great shops.

Warblade

by Warblade

HammerTime2 wrote:
Warblade wrote:I, personally, believe it to be best to be as friendly to any customer that walks in the door whether or not they buy something that day. Good customer service one day, can lead to a large purchase the next.

Yes, I have been to both states many times. It is true that it seems that's just way of doing business there. I just think there are other ways to go about it without loosing potential customers.
www.ChrisDiRe.com

.:Jimbo:.

by .:Jimbo:.

R & A is a great shop in my opinion. I stop there quite frequently, and never had a bad experience. It's such a cool place to pop in and see the latest and greatest and drool over some gorgeous frames, and talk cycling, sometimes with the staff, other times it's other shoppers. Also, they have everything you can think of, and they hae it in stock, so if you wanted it now, R and A is the place.

Sid's is a nice shop too, a bit more welcoming for most compared to R & A, however they seem to have little stock and when I would ask if they have x and y, I usually get a no, however they are more than welcome to order it for me. However with a major character, Zoltan (sp?) gone from the shop, Sids lost a lot of value in my opinion. Zoltan was the guy who knew tons about everything, whether it was bike fit related, or down to the nitty-gritty bolt stem size and torque specs of a Cannondale fire stem.

And now comes the shameless plug from my shop, Paragon Sports. Not a shop per-say, however a massive cycling department is hidden within. Tons of clothes with nearly all brands from Assos and Castelli to Sugoi and Bellwether. Not alot of drivetrain parts can be gotten here, but nearly everything else. Also some knowledgeable guys can be found here (trust me I know!). Ex racers, current racers, and a great mechanic.

There is a number of other shops out there, I've have not yet been to them all, and the others I have were not really worth mentioning as there is not much to them.

by Weenie