Lion King roars again??? I Hope

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

from cycling news:

Will Mario Cipollini return to the peloton? Despite crashing in the Interbike Industry Cup, the former World Champion seems to be seriously considering the possibility. The 40 year-old Italian retired abruptly from the peloton in April of 2005, explaining that after 189 victories he decided to give up when he could no longer dominate his rivals.

The news was first leaked by Rock & Republic's Rashaan Bahati on Bicycle Radio that the flamboyant Italian was considering joining the squad sponsored by the designer clothing company. Cyclingnews received confirmation from the team's director, Frankie Andreu, that Cipo is in talks with the team.

"[Rock & Republic owner] Michael Ball talked to Cipollini at Interbike – Cipo did surprisingly well there after being off the bike for so long – if he's actually been off the bike." Andreu was cautiously hopeful that the Lion King would be coming to his team, saying that someone as fashion conscious as Cipollini would be a good fit with his team which is known for being stylish.
to go faster....just pedal harder!

zebragonzo

by zebragonzo

How many times has he retired now?

by Weenie

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

The mess that pro cycling is in, having the Lion King back would be great!!

Aardvark

by Aardvark

Man, this ("saying that someone as fashion conscious as Cipollini would be a good fit with his team which is known for being stylish.") says it all about Michael Ball and Rock Racing. I'd heard this rumor some time ago and it was always accompanied by snickers from the pros telling us.

I was a big Super Mario fan, but really come on!! I guess if the paycheck is big enough he might ride for what's the equivalent of top tier pro team to Minor League.

So, why did you hire Mario? "He looks good in my jeans." Wow, great. :roll:
shut up and ride

evenfasterson

by evenfasterson

If he aids the promotion of the sponsers product then why the hell not?!

At the end of the day thats all the pro's are doing, advertising/promoting the products/services of their sponsers.

Also maybe it will pay of the firearms charges he's had since he retired. :wink:

Snafuboy

by Snafuboy

I think it would awesome to see him again, deffinetly be one of the oldest pros out there... I hope he does!

Aardvark

by Aardvark

Well, I wouldn't get your hopes up.

From velonews:
Attorney: Cipo' no plans to compete
The attorney for retired sprint ace Mario Cipollini discounted rumors that the 41-year-old Italian is considering a return to the sport.

Was Cipo's race in Vegas the signal of a comeback? His lawyer says no.

Recent reports have suggested that Cipollini had been considering an offer from Rock & Republic CEO Michael Ball to ride for his U.S.-based Rock Racing team in 2008.

Attorney Giuseppe Napoleone told the Italian news agency ANSA that the rumor probably has its roots in Cipo's recent trip to the U.S. to attend the Interbike trade show in Las Vegas.

"It's a joke," said Napoleone.

Napoleone said that a chance encounter with Rock Racing sporting director, Frankie Andreu, did involve a bit of back-and-forth banter about the possibility. Cipollini did suit up to take on an industry criterium during the inaugural Vegas World Criterium championships.

"A glass, a pat on the shoulder and a joke," said Napoleone. "That's how it got started... but it's a joke."
shut up and ride

micky

by micky

It's one of those "news" for let press talk about your own team. Like Tinkoff did some months ago with that russian guy (cant remind his name - Giro d'Italia winner).

edit: the russian guy was Berzin :wink:
Last edited by micky on Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyclemanpat

by cyclemanpat

maybe it is true, the latest:

Cipo talks 'no joke'
Following initial reports that former World Champion Mario Cipollini is in talks with the US squad Rock & Republic, the Italian's lawyer categorically denied that his client is fancying a return to racing. For Cipollini to come back to the peloton at age 41, and race for a domestic squad in a foreign country – one which specializes in criteriums and sports a brash, tattooed rock star image complete with Cadillac Escalades as team cars – certainly sounds unbelievable, but team director Frankie Andreu assured Cyclingnews that the story is no joke.

"The fact that Cipollini has been in talks with the team is absolutely true," Andreu said on Saturday. "Whether or not he's going to return to racing, I don't know. But he, [team manager] Haldane Morris and [Rock & Republic owner] Michael Ball met in Los Angeles and even went on a ride together."

Morris declined to comment, deferring to Ball, who could not be reached for comment

Tab

by Tab

That would be cool! I was at the 99 tour. When Cipo stepped out of the Saeco Cannondale Team bus to warm up for the tt, it was like a rock star entered the stadium. A bunch of hot babes drooling, cameras were flashing. I hope its true!

eurostyle

by eurostyle

I think it would detract from his pure euro-ness, but if he would keep his winning flail it would be awesome.

lancejohnson

by lancejohnson

I have heard that Cipo will be back with Rock Racing. They are making a Slipstream-type leap next year bringing in a number of riders to raise the profile of the team, my guess is that they would like to get a couple Euro invites too. Cipo never hurts if you want to get invited to someone's party...

"Organization is for the simple-minded, the Genius controls the chaos." - Jens

CharlesM

by CharlesM

I can see it now...

Rather than winning a few sprints then bailing out of a grand tour before the mountain stages,

he can hit a few one day races here, win the intermediate points then bail vefore the first hill :lol:

All due credit to the sports biggest showman and MASSIVE winner, but I just don't see it happening in a rider capacity. I know this is the lowly US Pro scene, but holding near the front of the industry cup and handling some of the genuine tallent here is another. These are not your post tour Crits and Cipo's 40+.

Michael Ball is GREAT FOR THE SPORT though and Cipo fits in the mold of entertainment better than anyone ever has. If they can make it work, I'll drop coins to go see them and support them.

Cycling needs something like what R&R bring.

Gregorio

by Gregorio

What about the rumor "Return of Lance Armstrong." I hear he wants to show off his new girl....one of the olsen twins.
About as ridiculous as drilling holes in carbon frames and dimpling seats bla bla bla bla bla
See Lance Comeback to crush the peleton in 08 TDF. He will ride Trek for Slipstream, no Astana, no wait...a new team with his mythical sponsors

by Weenie

geraldatwork

by geraldatwork

Gregorio wrote:What about the rumor "Return of Lance Armstrong." I hear he wants to show off his new girl....one of the olsen twins.
About as ridiculous as drilling holes in carbon frames and dimpling seats bla bla bla bla bla
See Lance Comeback to crush the peleton in 08 TDF. He will ride Trek for Slipstream, no Astana, no wait...a new team with his mythical sponsors

Yes that dilling holes in carbon frames thread was a classic. While as you I doubt Lance will come back in '08 it would add both some excitment and some fun. If he rode for Slipstream at least I would feel comfortable he was racing clean.
"Really fast people are frustrating, but they make you faster. When you get faster, you might frustrate someone else."

2009 Trek Madone 5.5 Project One SRAM Force 16.4 lbs w/pedals and cages.
2007 Bianchi 928 Carbon Lugged- SRAM Rival-17 lbs.