What Bikes,Kits will ASTANA use in 2008?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderator: Moderator Team

User avatar
eurostyle
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:28 pm

by eurostyle

Slipstram will ride Felt bikes and Zipp wheels this year, read it on cyclingnews.

User avatar
los318
Posts: 135
Joined: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:46 am
Location: Austin TX

by los318

BW wrote:
geraldatwork wrote:Maybe Slipstream makes sense as it is an American team with mostly (I guess) American riders. Since Trek is headquartered in the USA and they are used to working closely with a local team it might be a good fit. Also Slipstream is making an emphasis on riding clean and taking doing extra testing so there is less risk involved in that respect.


Not sure how 'local' discovery are to trek - their base was in belgium, not far from the original waterloo though!

Slipstream ride Felt bikes, I think Treks reputation took a hammering along with Bruyneels this season so going with Astana won't be a surprise given the 'win at all costs' way of thinking.


I think Trek's rep in the US will be just fine. There are a ton of new Trek's around the Austin,TX area.
Soon.....

Gregorio
Posts: 1582
Joined: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:24 pm
Location: Center of the Universe

by Gregorio

slip stream still has a deal to ride Felt andTrek will not intrude on that

Sprinter
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:47 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan and Adelaide, Australia
Contact:

by Sprinter

People here seem pretty sure it'll be Trek, but (taken from another site)...



"As for sponsoring other programs, Trek's options are many but continuing on as the sponsor of Johan's program is not one of them."
Scott Daubert - Trek

teterider
Posts: 131
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:42 am

by teterider

Felts contract with Slipstream is only through 2008 last I read. A good bet is that Trek is courting them for 2009 and beyond.

User avatar
HammerTime2
Posts: 5433
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 4:43 pm
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

geraldatwork wrote:Also Slipstream is making an emphasis on riding clean and taking doing extra testing so there is less risk involved in that respect.

Maybe, maybe not. In Washington, D.C., there were "Just Say No" basketball leagues. "Just say no" is supposed to be just say no to (illegal) drugs (recreational, habit-forming, etc., not performance enhancing drugs). Well it turns out, it was discovered that a lot of the players were (illegal) drug dealers, who liked to unwind with some basketball after a long day of selling drugs and murdering people. Some of them used the games as a place to do business as well.

It was safe for the drug dealers (so they thought) because who would ever think that a drug dealer would show up a the Just Say No games. Maybe a doping rider would think they can get away with doping because who woudlbe sto stupid to be on that team and dope. It doesn't mean they will get away with it, but what matters is if they think they will.

BW
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:59 am
Location: Europe

by BW

HammerTime2 wrote:
geraldatwork wrote:Also Slipstream is making an emphasis on riding clean and taking doing extra testing so there is less risk involved in that respect.

Maybe, maybe not. In Washington, D.C., there were "Just Say No" basketball leagues. "Just say no" is supposed to be just say no to (illegal) drugs (recreational, habit-forming, etc., not performance enhancing drugs). Well it turns out, it was discovered that a lot of the players were (illegal) drug dealers, who liked to unwind with some basketball after a long day of selling drugs and murdering people. Some of them used the games as a place to do business as well.

It was safe for the drug dealers (so they thought) because who would ever think that a drug dealer would show up a the Just Say No games. Maybe a doping rider would think they can get away with doping because who woudlbe sto stupid to be on that team and dope. It doesn't mean they will get away with it, but what matters is if they think they will.



what a crazy post :roll:

Aardvark
Posts: 90
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:38 am

by Aardvark

HammerTime2 wrote:
geraldatwork wrote:Also Slipstream is making an emphasis on riding clean and taking doing extra testing so there is less risk involved in that respect.

Maybe, maybe not. In Washington, D.C., there were "Just Say No" basketball leagues. "Just say no" is supposed to be just say no to (illegal) drugs (recreational, habit-forming, etc., not performance enhancing drugs). Well it turns out, it was discovered that a lot of the players were (illegal) drug dealers, who liked to unwind with some basketball after a long day of selling drugs and murdering people. Some of them used the games as a place to do business as well.

It was safe for the drug dealers (so they thought) because who would ever think that a drug dealer would show up a the Just Say No games. Maybe a doping rider would think they can get away with doping because who woudlbe sto stupid to be on that team and dope. It doesn't mean they will get away with it, but what matters is if they think they will.


This makes ZERO sense at all. Slipstream has one of the most active anti-doping programs, it would be the WORST place to go. This would be the equivalent of your drug dealers above playing basketball in a league with vice cops. What are the guys doing at training camp this week? Getting their medical testing and baselining done. then on a regular basis they get tested and checked throughout the season.
shut up and ride

User avatar
DiterDV
Posts: 391
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:38 pm
Location: Rome

by DiterDV

The Astana team 2008:

- Trek bikes
- Sram group
- Bontrager wheels

(info from there team medic :wink: )
There's no point in living if you can't feel alive - JB

User avatar
eurostyle
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Aug 16, 2007 5:28 pm

by eurostyle

Somehow I dont feel that good about the future of cycling when reading that. I think it puts a lot of suspicion on Johan Bruyneel and Discovery, all migrating to a Astana team under a lot of suspicion already.

User avatar
drjones96
Posts: 3722
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:56 pm
Location: Wichita, KS

by drjones96

BW wrote:what a crazy post :roll:


Is it? I don't think it's so unbelievable. Small time drug dealers often have bumper stickers on their cars implying they support "Just Say No", Law Enforcement, Christianity, etc etc. They think this gives the cops a different impression of who they are before they walk up to their driver side window.

What would truely suck is if some rogue riders use the "Anti-Doping Cycling Team" as a cover to do their dirty work.

BW
Posts: 124
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:59 am
Location: Europe

by BW

drjones96 wrote:
BW wrote:what a crazy post :roll:


Is it? I don't think it's so unbelievable. Small time drug dealers often have bumper stickers on their cars implying they support "Just Say No", Law Enforcement, Christianity, etc etc. They think this gives the cops a different impression of who they are before they walk up to their driver side window.

What would truely suck is if some rogue riders use the "Anti-Doping Cycling Team" as a cover to do their dirty work.


It doesn't add anything to the current discussion and just rambles on about nothing relavent so yes, it is crazy.

:wink:

Sprinter
Posts: 1292
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:47 am
Location: Tokyo, Japan and Adelaide, Australia
Contact:

by Sprinter

drjones96 wrote:
BW wrote:what a crazy post :roll:


Is it? I don't think it's so unbelievable. Small time drug dealers often have bumper stickers on their cars implying they support "Just Say No", Law Enforcement, Christianity, etc etc. They think this gives the cops a different impression of who they are before they walk up to their driver side window.

What would truely suck is if some rogue riders use the "Anti-Doping Cycling Team" as a cover to do their dirty work.


There's a big difference between a bumper sticker and providing homologous blood doping test. It'd be like a drug dealer offering to move to a strict anti-drugs nation such as Saudi Arabia and be subjected to daily random checks and probes.

User avatar
talktobrett
Posts: 114
Joined: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:31 am

by talktobrett

I did hear that they were going to ride Look in 2008. This could be total nonsense though.

User avatar
Herbert
Posts: 839
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:49 pm
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Contact:

by Herbert

I'd say they will ride the bikes of the bike company who will pay them the most.

h

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post