Starting a race team

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

too slow

by too slow

Im toying with the idea of starting a race team. Club level cat 3-5....kind of a "Bad News Bears" feel to it. Looking to build a team for those that might not fit in some other teams. Not looking to take over the local race scene. Im wondering what type of support do shops normally provide? I noticed that most race teams typically have a secondary sponsor. What kind of finacial support can I expect to ask for?????? Any practical advice would be a big help. Where to get the best deal on custom jerseys?

520 Dan

by 520 Dan

Champion system makes nice stuff for kits. I like the bibs a lot. Not super durable though. The custom jerseys run about $45.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

coylifut

by coylifut

the standard deal around here is in the area of a 15% dicount. for that, they expect a spot on the jersey. as far as shops, doling out cash for kits and such, i've never seen it.

also, the way to get pro deals on bikes is avoid the rep and deal directly with the rep.

MaaseyRacer

by MaaseyRacer

I race for a shop, and I have raced for teams that have had the backing of a shop. The deals vary between shops and agreements. 10-25% is fairly standard.
As for team kits, I love my new Louis Garneau kit.

Razor

by Razor

too slow wrote:Im toying with the idea of starting a race team. Club level cat 3-5....kind of a "Bad News Bears" feel to it. Looking to build a team for those that might not fit in some other teams. Not looking to take over the local race scene. Im wondering what type of support do shops normally provide? I noticed that most race teams typically have a secondary sponsor. What kind of finacial support can I expect to ask for?????? Any practical advice would be a big help. Where to get the best deal on custom jerseys?

I've started a team before too. The best thing to do is to get guys on the team that you like personally regardless of their abilities. Second, maybe you can consider approaching a shop and ask them if they will provide stuff (negotiable) to you at no charge if you name the team after the shop. If you want to do your own thing, then approach them as a co-title sponsor if they provide like wheels or frames or free service on the bike plus equipment at cost. For clothing, if your team is small, you'll need to find a manufacturer that will has low minimums. Charge each of your members a membership fee to cover the art charges, shipping etc. If you don't get them all to sign a membership agreement outlining your expectations, disciplinary actions, obligations etc, you'll regret it. Good luck.

drjones96

by drjones96

Bad News Bears. I like it. You need to find a little blonde headed kid with a bad attitude that swears.

too slow

by too slow

drjones96 wrote:Bad News Bears. I like it. You need to find a little blonde headed kid with a bad attitude that swears.

And sponsorship from Titos Bail Bonds

urace4me2

by urace4me2

I started in anew team 15 years ago. we got the following:
$500 cash from shop
cost plus 20%
had a few other sponsors for some cash like the above amount

We raced about 30 times a year and would win a few races and maybe one state championship each year.

15 years later same team, ... we get the following:
$500 cash from the shop
retail minus 15%
and a few other sponsors ....

I raced 54 times in Masters 35 and 45+ races and a few Pro 12 events
won 11 races myself and all 3 state chapionship events (age group)
our team won about 35 times.
team Swept the state 35 race series podium.
personally won two and medalled in 4 out of 5 masters nationals events entered.

Get the picture? Slim pickin's where I'm from. :(

Good luck, it's about having fun with your buddies, not getting struggling bike shops to stuggle harder so can get free clothes and entry fees.

Hope this history dump was helpful.

too slow

by too slow

Thanks for all the help and advice. I wasnt expecting more than a dicount from a shop. I am hoping I can find another sponsor to cover some entry fees, maybe some clothing costs. Getting something in writing from teamates is a very good idea. I'll update this thread as thing happen or dont letting you all know what happens.... thanks

mzagorski

by mzagorski

From my experiences, a big part of getting sponsorship is thinking about what you can do for the sponsor. Unless the sponsor is a philanthropist, probably they'll want to see some return on their investment. (media attention - newspapers, magazines, websites etc)... logos on clothing, stickers etc on helmet... the list goes on.

Razor

by Razor

mzagorski wrote:From my experiences, a big part of getting sponsorship is thinking about what you can do for the sponsor. Unless the sponsor is a philanthropist, probably they'll want to see some return on their investment. (media attention - newspapers, magazines, websites etc)... logos on clothing, stickers etc on helmet... the list goes on.

Tell the sponsor you will be racing in a local race close to their business. You can ask them to provide brochures, literature, maybe a tent and some giveaways to hand out at the race. Have them print a few banners for you to give to the race organizers to place around the course in exchange for few dollars of the sponsorship money for a race prime.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com