Favourite cycling photo

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

martin wrote:
RollinOn27s wrote:
martin wrote:I also like this one of own fabrication :)

That is officially the scariest cyclist picture I have ever seen.

yes, there is some sort of a railing... by looking closely, you can see some thin steel posts that are connected by 2 steel wires. The ride isn't half as scary as it looks, because the road was designed for army supply caravans with mules and wagons, and therefore is quite wide.
It is the "Via dei Garantieri" with the famous salto dei granatieri" at monte Cengio and is located in the area of "sette communi" near Asiago, Italy. The rock wall goes about 700m straight down, it is virtually the end of the alps here.
Better pictures:

http://www.magicoveneto.it/Altipian/Cengio/Cengio-1.htm
A beautiful MTB area, as almost all areas with these sad reminders of the mountain war in WW1 are... Mte Pasubio, Garda lake area being more popular spots.

Looking at those better pictures, it doesn't look very wide to me. What's the maximum gradient?

brian

by brian

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Gijs

by Gijs

The Domo rider is Knaven. He won that year!
The other riders are Hincapie and....

CP

by CP

The Lion of Flanders
CP

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

damn that is high up!!
tikka
Formerly known as Curryinahurry

martin

by martin

HammerTime2 wrote:
martin wrote:[
Better pictures:

http://www.magicoveneto.it/Altipian/Cengio/Cengio-1.htm
A beautiful MTB area, as almost all areas with these sad reminders of the mountain war in WW1 are... Mte Pasubio, Garda lake area being more popular spots.

Looking at those better pictures, it doesn't look very wide to me. What's the maximum gradient?

Well it was wide enough for me to not feel very unsafe, and i'm a sissy when it comes to height...
It is quite flat in most places, with some steeper parts and some stairs. it also isn't possible to ride in the galleries as they are too low. the road leads just a few meters below the top of a flat mountain, its purpose was to provide supplies to the fortifications on a way that could not be observed/attacked from the north side, as the austrians were only a few 100m away on next hilltop. Actually when accessing this area coming from north via Trento/lago Caldonazzo, one can use a very small narrow winding mountain road (paved) called "Kaiserjägerstrasse" - a reminder of the opposite side in the alpine front.
these "seven communities" are all on a high plain (well, sort of plain) that is isolated against its neighbors through very steep valleys. these seven villages, although never having been in a german language part, have preserved their own language that has been identified as a midieval bavarian dialect. The dialect is close to being extinct, but still shows in some of the field names.

i can only recommend the area to any mountainbiker, it is magnificently lonely, the tour possibilities are great, and the gravel plains on Monte Ortigara, Cima XII, Monte Lozze are unlike any alpine landscape i've seen.

(sorry for te OT, but riding MTB in italy automatically gets you involved with the alpine front history, as you are using roads and see ruins that have been built then... so i became interested in that kind of stuff. It isnt hard to imagine ho hard life was for the soldiers up there even in peacetime)
Martin
Snowman and Strong Walker
Scott Sc
my old stuff
my new stuff

GJ

by GJ

Ridley

by Ridley

Gijs wrote:The Domo rider is Knaven. He won that year!

It looks like Wilfried Peeters to me, the guy almost won that year!

Rich_W

by Rich_W

Gotta love those choppers :roll:

geraintnorman

by geraintnorman

The BingMan wrote:Image

I'd forgotten how thin Riis was - he looks better for putting on a few pounds!

Nine

by Nine

Wilfried Peeters not Johan Museeuw.
On the second picture you can see Hincapie leading, Museeuw with helmet and Knaven behind him.
road: Isaac Impulse forest: Specialized S-works HT

henkie

by henkie

Nine wrote:

Wilfried Peeters not Johan Museeuw.
On the second picture you can see Hincapie leading, Museeuw with helmet and Knaven behind him.

A legendary Paris-Roubaix. Not only the weather, but also something else. Peeters attacked at "foret de Wallers-Arenberg", still 80km to go. He rode solo, with a chasing group after him. There were a few Domo-riders in the chasing group (Knaven, Museeuw, Vainsteins) and some other riders (Dierckxens, Hincapie). Now, you must know that Peeters and Dierckxens are almost neighbours, they trained together in the winter etc.

And what happened, Dierckxens chased, he helped Hincapie to catch Peeters. Knaven won and Dierckxens and Peeters had some words after the finish. I don't know if they still trained together after that "incident".

mrowkoob

by mrowkoob

I Like this one
Attachments
bike.jpg
The unbearable wallet lightness of being a weightweenie

Willier

by Willier

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :P :P :P

Kuiper

by Kuiper

Pinarello wrote:8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :P :P :P
[img*]Girl on bike[/img]

Is that Fausto's wife on the bike?

CAL-EE-FOR-NIA wrote:My favorite . . . Hampstein in snow . . . has been posted, so here is a "nice" photo of . . . becoming rare . . . a team TT.

Thank god,
that Holland is such a great country :lol: that they still organize a Pro Tour Team TT in Eindhoven

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com