Bikefit in 2023

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ms6073

by ms6073

HammerTime2 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:27 pm
So for a given STA, need shorter top tube and/or stem (and maybe higher bar position), with reduced mid to upper body flexibility also contributing?
Somewhat timely seeing as I was feeling a bit stretched on my C64 the last couple months and so opted to swap the 110 SR9 stem for a 100 (not an easy item to source these days).
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jcrr

by jcrr

Been reading this thread with some interest. Today I stumbled upon this video. Pretty involved, makes one wonder about the finer details even a great physio may miss without high-tech tools. Curious what one of these sessions cost....

and then, naturally, I ran into this:

"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

jcrr wrote:Been reading this thread with some interest. Today I stumbled upon this video. Pretty involved, makes one wonder about the finer details even a great physio may miss without high-tech tools. Curious what one of these sessions cost....

and then, naturally, I ran into this:

Neil definitely knows what he is doing
simply blabla-ing

MDecius

by MDecius

My story regarding bike fit can be summarized as: get a knowledgeable fitter before buying a frame, not after. YMMV.

I bought my first bike in '16, an all-road Diverge DSW in 56cm. This was very much a "shop fit by eye". They put me on a trainer, set my saddle height, gave me insoles with more support, and stretched the bike out with a 130mm stem because apparently I would have done better on a size 58. I never thought much more of it and rode it for 5-6 years but never was super comfortable. Even though I thought the bike was too small, I still felt the reach was too long and changed to a 100mm stem on my own later on. Didn't help the comfort much.

This year, I wanted to buy a proper carbon road frame, an Alpe d'Huez 01, and went to the best fitter in the region that I could find, in advance of buying. I asked them to put me on the right size frame, we spent about 3 hours in the studio including saddle and sole pressure mapping, and I ended up with a size smaller than the dealer recommended. Apparently I take a lot more to a short & low position than long & high. I've done about 1000km on my ADH01 so far and the comfort is unbelievable in comparison, even though it's far more aggressive in terms of saddle to bar drop. Feel like I can ride with absolutely zero discomfort.
Road - Time Alpe d'Huez 01 rim
All-road - Diverge Elite DSW '16 disc

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

MDecius wrote:My story regarding bike fit can be summarized as: get a knowledgeable fitter before buying a frame, not after. YMMV.

I bought my first bike in '16, an all-road Diverge DSW in 56cm. This was very much a "shop fit by eye". They put me on a trainer, set my saddle height, gave me insoles with more support, and stretched the bike out with a 130mm stem because apparently I would have done better on a size 58. I never thought much more of it and rode it for 5-6 years but never was super comfortable. Even though I thought the bike was too small, I still felt the reach was too long and changed to a 100mm stem on my own later on. Didn't help the comfort much.

This year, I wanted to buy a proper carbon road frame, an Alpe d'Huez 01, and went to the best fitter in the region that I could find, in advance of buying. I asked them to put me on the right size frame, we spent about 3 hours in the studio including saddle and sole pressure mapping, and I ended up with a size smaller than the dealer recommended. Apparently I take a lot more to a short & low position than long & high. I've done about 1000km on my ADH01 so far and the comfort is unbelievable in comparison, even though it's far more aggressive in terms of saddle to bar drop. Feel like I can ride with absolutely zero discomfort.
Fit first, buy later Image
simply blabla-ing