Raleigh Cycles. Once proud. Has now come to this?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

After various travails, reorganizations, and M&A, the once proud Raleigh brand, and its illustrious racing heritage, has now come to this?

http://www.raleigh-cycles.com
Best of Britain

Whatever the environment. Whatever the occassion. Raleigh bikes draw on the heritage of a great nation to offer a great cycling experience. To offer the Best of Britain.

http://www.raleigh-cycles.com/contact-us/
Turaco Limited,
P.O. Box 2419 - 20100,
Nakuru, Kenya

SPORTS RACE SERIES
RC900 CALEUM 700C
Drop down a gear ready for the sprint! The oval steel frame has 12 speed hands-on Shimano controls for that quick shift when you move up through the twist and turns superbly maintaining perfect control, while the strong yet light alloy wheelsets spin effortlessly with narrow 700C lyres. Finished in racey Black & White the sleek Caelum seems to make time stand still.
Nice negative drop on the only listed sports race series bike.
Bonus points for the pedals.
At least they have not abandoned mechanical rim lovers. BTW, I think 12 speeds is total, i.e., 2 by 6.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

HammerTime2 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:42 pm
After various travails, reorganizations, and M&A, the once proud Raleigh brand, and its illustrious racing heritage, has now come to this?

Turaco Limited,
P.O. Box 2419 - 20100,
Nakuru, Kenya
No, it hasn't. You're looking at a rip-off site. This is the once proud Raleigh brand https://www.raleigh.co.uk/gb/en/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

Kidos to the rip-off site for being the first link for google search on

Raleigh cycles

or

Raleigh bicycle

Stendhal

by Stendhal

The real Raleigh site does not have any modern racing bikes either; the closest to this is a Ti-Raleigh Anmiversary edition.
https://www.raleigh.co.uk/gb/en/ti-rale ... n-bicycle/

But don't knock the knock-off site too harshly. The bike is Steel Is Real, classic rim brakes, mechanic-friendly non-integrated cabling...what's to hate?
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Raleigh and DiamondBack are effectively dead thanks to a poorly conceived omnichannel sales strategy devised by parent corporation Accell.

HammerTime2

by HammerTime2

1980 Tour de France Anniversary TI-RALEIGH ANNIVERSARY EDITION BICYCLE
Interesting component choices:

Shallow drop Cinelli 64 "Giro d'Italia" bars, rather than medium drop Cinelli 63 "Campione del Mondo" bars. Maybe model 64 is all they could find in sufficient quantity? Or Zoetemelk used model 64?

Veloce 10 speed. A concession to fat-@$$ old-timers to make it up climbs, instead of period correct 6 speed.

Clinchers: FAIL!!! Calling them open tubulars = double fail.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 10:23 am
Raleigh and DiamondBack are effectively dead thanks to a poorly conceived omnichannel sales strategy devised by parent corporation Accell.
Dead? They're selling a shit ton of Dutch style e-bikes around here and there's good money in that.

Raleigh as a respectable performance road brand died long before Accell turned up.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

It surprised me had quickly Raleigh disapeared. I remember them being hug when i was at school and even through he early 90's. The influx of exotic foreighn MTB's to the UK from 93 onwards changed the game. I spend £1000 on a KHS in 94, £1500 on a Kona in 96 and by this time I wouldnt even have considered Raleigh. Five years ealier they'd have been right at the top for me.
I still feel that the name has value. If they started making boutique high end bikes I think nostalgia alone would make me take a look.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Karvalo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:29 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Dead? They're selling a shit ton of Dutch style e-bikes around here and there's good money in that.

Raleigh as a respectable performance road brand died long before Accell turned up.

Raleigh was actually 4th in US market share through the mid-2010s… and it was #1 in the UK, Ireland and Canada in the same timeframe. It also had a reasonably large footprint in Japan.

By 2019 they had completely shuttered their NA HQ in Kent, WA and exited Japan as well.

There does seem to be a weird bifurcation in the Raleigh brand. The UK/NA divisions went from Derby to Accell while the European branch got absorbed with Derby into Pon.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:20 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 2:29 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

Raleigh was actually 4th in US market share through the mid-2010s… and it was #1 in the UK, Ireland and Canada in the same timeframe. It also had a reasonably large footprint in Japan.
On what metric?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Karvalo wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:29 am

On what metric?

The US stats are based off "representation" in IBDs which I've interpreted as units ordered. This does leave out the big-box brands like Huffy, Kent, etc.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Feb 04, 2023 1:17 am
Karvalo wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:29 am

On what metric?

The US stats are based off "representation" in IBDs which I've interpreted as units ordered. This does leave out the big-box brands like Huffy, Kent, etc.
Well, sure. Shipping out 10,000 hundred dollar kids bikes does not necessarily make for a healthy company. They could easily be making more money now on a fraction of the units.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

I remember Raleigh in the UK being almost non-existent in enthusiast bikes after about 2000.