2023 Pro thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

maquisard

by maquisard

Did he race cross this season, he has previously but I don't recall seeing him this year.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

maquisard wrote:
Sun Mar 26, 2023 6:56 pm
Did he race cross this season, he has previously but I don't recall seeing him this year.
He didn't this year no.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

maquisard wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:59 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:47 am
Karvalo wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:24 am
maquisard wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 5:25 pm
If Pogacar had intelligence he would be unbeatable.
It's a really hard route for Pogacar to win these races - he has to drop the other two somewhere and get to the line on his own. If you can figure out a way for that to happen without him attacking then kudos to your incredible tactical brain.

Actually lol at the idea of a 65kg Pogacar getting the jump on, then staying away from these particular two ~75kg riders working in tandem…in a flat finish.
Pogacar was quite self critical after the race about his positioning - the energy wasted coming from behind on the Taaienberg was one of the reasons that contributed to him being cooked later in the race. On the Taaienberg he started 25th and came over the top in 8th, a lot of ground to make up when MdvP and WvA are driving the front of the race.

https://escapecollective.cc/no-such-mis ... xt-sunday/
Honestly positioning is 50% of the race on these Belgian Classics. Ganna should be a no-brainer for the podium in these races but I think he lacks the knowledge/tactical savy to position himself and gets caught out chasin too much.

maquisard

by maquisard

Flanders will be interesting. Pogacar looks incredibly strong on the climbs, but the dynamics and the sheer length of the race will probably be the deciding factors and perhaps give MvdP and WvA the edge.

I cannot wait.

ave

by ave

This today was more or less a 50km solo, wasn't it?
Was quite surpised that no one could follow them.
Next week promises a good spectacle.

LouisN

by LouisN

I liked the Evenepoel/Roglic spectacle the last two stages at Catalunya.

P.S. I tried to listen to French commentary on GCN, or other networks (French version) for some races. Just unbearable. Please, please, shut these people down forever :roll: ... :lol: .

Louis :)

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

You just don't like , or don't understand french humour :lol:

robeambro

by robeambro

LouisN wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:59 pm
I liked the Evenepoel/Roglic spectacle the last two stages at Catalunya.

P.S. I tried to listen to French commentary on GCN, or other networks (French version) for some races. Just unbearable. Please, please, shut these people down forever :roll: ... :lol: .

Louis :)
I never dared to listen to Italian commentary but plenty of folks I know complain about it too. Whilst English commentary isn't the best (looking at you, Sean Kelly), it's definitely not unbearable, and some of them even make an effort (not Kelly) to pronounce rider names correctly, which is something that for some reason I highly respect.

maquisard

by maquisard

I don't listen to French commentary as it is incredibly partisan, even more so than the British!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

van Schip continues to test the UCI's boundaries.

robeambro

by robeambro

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:59 am
van Schip continues to test the UCI's boundaries.

His triceps and core must be insane - how does he even manage such a bend in his arms, they're more than flat. Is he resting his forearms in some ways that I can't see?

Also, what the heck is that seatpost. And, the helmet might be taped and gain a few watts, but it looks very mushroomy, sitting very high up on his head. Hmm..

Chapeau for managing a time trial breakaway position, I'd like to see what he looks like when not in that position though.. :lol:

MichaelK

by MichaelK

Isn't the general consensus that you lose around 1W per 10cm of exposed cable?

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Basically running his track set up. Also strange to see a PCT running mech shifting.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

eins4eins wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:33 am
Also strange to see a PCT running mech shifting.
How so? He rides for a 3rd division team where budgets are small and riders very often pay to play.

wooger

by wooger

MichaelK wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:25 am
Isn't the general consensus that you lose around 1W per 10cm of exposed cable?
That is a hilariously messy cable run, incongruious with the ultra narrow aero handlebars - but even so that 1w is for being on the front on your own at 55kph or something, less significant for road racing in a peloton.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com