Trivial cycling things annoy me?

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Mapdec cycles on youtube. Pffff

JessieJim

by JessieJim

you're bothering too much, relax

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tarmackev

by tarmackev

People who overly picky with position, say they can't possible ride a certain frame as its 3mm shorter and 3mm higher than the one they use.
How do they ride a mountain bike? TT bike?

I've ridden with picky world tour pro's who are less picky. It does seem a very current thing.

I also know this is me, i really dont have anything against folk who like an exact fit, I'm fully aware that there's nothing wrong with it all. As a 34 year roadie who's ridden many different positions over the years I'm the opposite end of the spectrum. It's a trivial thing that annoys me.

Bogan

by Bogan

Referring to bikes as "weapons" or "bad boys". Talk about cheesy.

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

MAMIL? Never. O.F.I.L. yeh! (Old F**ker in Lycra)

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

The fact it takes me so bloody long to lose weight but oh so fast to put it on

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

tarmackev wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 12:52 pm
People who overly picky with position, say they can't possible ride a certain frame as its 3mm shorter and 3mm higher than the one they use.
How do they ride a mountain bike? TT bike?
For me, maybe not annoyed, but at least a raised eyebrow. I think some people might do this to highlight their high awareness of technique, level of knowledge, etc. As if the ability to discern some perfect fit to the mm counts as status. Like you say, it all falls apart if you ride a different category of the sport. Even moving around on the saddle which many do, changes everything.

I will grant an exception to some that ride road every day, rack up major kms per year, etc. No doubt it's possible to develop a very strong preference for a particular fit. Not that small differences can't be tolerated, but just that a certain fit is strongly preferred.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

tymon_tm

by tymon_tm

in that same bracket: "your saddle is too high!" (used to hear it all the time from older folks back in the day...)

as for perfect fit - let's take into account every day your body is in a somewhat different state; some parts can be more or less stretched or warmed up, or - less relaxed after a "bad night sleep", you might have some microtrauma, or your belly has one of these days, etc - it all makes difference how you feel on the bike and how your body responds to being sit up in that very particular way.

and yes it's defintely a snob thing before anything else; i've never heard any pro complain about it, besides they do change their position (that's also what all these docs and physiotherapists are for), while all these '2mm-conscious' weekend warriors ride the same fit for years? come on...
kkibbler wrote: WW remembers.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 7:15 pm
The fact it takes me so bloody long to lose weight but oh so fast to put it on Image

Basso Diamante eps 12
Yep....

Oh, and the endless rim/disc debate ....

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Some people on Weight Weenies.

Ha.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

tarmackev

by tarmackev

People who boast about their FTP and sprint power, insist it's correct because it was recorded by their innacutae power meter.
I know one guy in particular with a 1650 sprint and 360 ftp who cant even get a result in a 4th cat race and is nowhere in sprints.
Every few months he'll write something on his instagram story like "ah to be fit again" with a pic of the figurs.

Christ, if i believed everything my power meters have said over the years id be winning stages in the tour with my 450ftp (in reality you can take 200 off that) and 3000 sprint (take 200 off this as well, I can believe 2800 for 10 seconds)

Too many folk I know (Generally 40+ and 80kg+) have these insane power figures they'll tell you about yet never show anything when they ride with others or race.

MichaelK

by MichaelK

CrankAddictsRich wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:03 pm
when someone builds up a nice bike and then takes a photo of it... facing the wrong way.
There's an ex-Ineos Grenadiers rim brake Pinarello on eBay right now with the absolute worst pictures :noidea:

Also looks like the guy got in on the Shimano distributor deal on 54-40 DA chainsets and is advertising it with that. Like what average Joe is going to drop £10k on a bike that is so over-geared he wouldn't be able to get up Dark Hill on his club run.

blutto

by blutto

RTW wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 9:32 am

Some people on Weight Weenies.

Ha.
...ahhh, something finally keeping in strict adherence to the stated theme of this thread...truly trivial...and jeez, about time, eh...

Ha Ha

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Ebay

Whenever a bike is listed as "Seller refurbished". Generally the bike looks like it's been dragged straight out of a skip.

The only place I see a bike listed as refurbsihed is ebay. Guessing a lot of bikes on there had their furbish rubbed off, thankfully ebay sellers refurbish them, its good to know.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com