The Legend of Ebay Ghost

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

engsohere

by engsohere

Hi all, I sold a Madone build kit for $8,800 two days ago. Today I got a message from the buyer as follows:

"Hello, for some reason I have got a notification that is asking me to pay you for this item?? However, I did not purchase anything from you..!! I have no idea why I received this message?? Please check my Feedback as it is 100% Positive and I always pay very fast..! That is when I actually purchase something! It must be an EBay glitch, or some hacker trying to buy something through me! I have no idea??"

Have any of you encountered this in your past sales? How would you handle this, cancel the sale or let the 4-day payment grace period expire? If this guy is telling the truth he can have the negative nonpayment removed by the powers that be.

Flasher

by Flasher

Have a look and see what his previous purchase history looks like, if it's high end bike bit's then maybe buyers remorse, if no bike bits then maybe someone has hacked his account?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

happens all the time.. just move on and go through the motions and relist
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

engsohere

by engsohere

The guy has been a member since 11/2001
Total feedback 558 100% positive
Past 12 months 16 positive feedback

No item or value was seen with feedback, only generic statements like, "A++++ Buyer" and "Fast Payment".

I have set my selling requirements to buyers with verified payment on file and no more than 2 nonpayments in 12 months. So what I don't get is that if it's hacked why the hacker didn't complete the sale and alter the shipping addresses?

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

Probably a 12 year old kid playing around.

flying

by flying

As others have said probably a hack/glitch

But that aside....Wow selling a $8800 bike/build kit on ebay must be very expensive fees wise

V3Rs

by V3Rs

Like nearly 15% total

They even charge fees on the shipping!!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com