Manhattan Bike shop recomendadtions

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Hiya Everbody!

Visiting NYC end of the month and wanted to hit a few bike shops. I live in Mallorca so I'm not interested in the cRAPha /trekalizedale we have here, nor indeed a shop full of hirstute millennials pretending bike messengers are still a thing...
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk

"I saw you with elephants hosing down some dwarves on black and white TV" - Ode to Anthony H Wilson

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Leviathan wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:22 am
Hiya Everbody!

Visiting NYC end of the month and wanted to hit a few bike shops. I live in Mallorca so I'm not interested in the cRAPha /trekalizedale we have here, nor indeed a shop full of hirstute millennials pretending bike messengers are still a thing...
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance

Sent from my M2103K19G using Tapatalk
You've pretty much eliminated all of the options!

Seriously though, there's not much on offer for higher end shops in Manhattan. Trek has gobbled up a bunch of the independent stores in the last few years and the ones that are left are not really much to write home about.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spud

by spud

Is Conrad's still in business? Toga used to be an impressive shop, not sure now, last time I was there thing seemed to have gone downhill.

kode54

by kode54

Some in Brooklyn and right over GWB in Fort Lee NJ (Strictly).
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

spud wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:24 pm
Is Conrad's still in business? Toga used to be an impressive shop, not sure now, last time I was there thing seemed to have gone downhill.
It was last August but, these days, it's not worth the journey, imo.

R&A out in Brooklyn might be worth going to - they used to have good stock of high end frames and a good clothing section - but I haven't been there in years.

kode54

by kode54

Last time I was at R&A, seemed like they were more focused on online sales vs. in store sales. Product showcases were dismal but many high end frames hanging in the rafters...out of reach and close up view (my poor eyesight) to make any visit there worthwhile. Lots of eye candy and minimal help staff.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

kode54 wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 1:31 pm
Lots of eye candy and minimal help staff.
You summed up R & A quite well!

Berzin1

by Berzin1

R & A has morphed into a boutique shop, and when you walk in you feel it. It's distant and antiseptic.

But with the level of corporate homogenization going on in the cycling world, they cater to a different clientele. They used to be the neighborhood bike shop where you could buy a kid's tricycle while checking out their impressive array of pretty much everything there was to see. It was a unique shop in that regard. They had EVERYTHING, and it was right there for you to see.

Now they have this- http://www.racycles.black/ where the discerning executive can track his company's stock buybacks while not having to be bothered by the presence of other customers.

kode54

by kode54

Never seen that R&A. Although still not the level of Srvice Course in Girona or Above Category in Saulsilito.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Flasher

by Flasher

Berzin1 wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:49 pm

Now they have this- http://www.racycles.black/ where the discerning executive can track his company's stock buybacks while not having to be bothered by the presence of other customers.
How times have changed, I guess you have to give someone an experience when you're relieving them of so much money, personally I find it quite sad how a simple pleasure has been turned into something I barely recognise.

Guess I'm just an old twat.

blaugrana

by blaugrana

Combining the bike fit and a sort of consultation service where you pick the build does make sense for the ultra rich customers. However the "exclusive client area" to work and watch TV is a concept that eludes me. I suppose it's not a waiting area, because such important people can't be kept waiting anyways. Are they supposed to just randomly show up there to watch TV? Is that a rich people thing, these days?

Berzin1

by Berzin1

blaugrana wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:45 am
Are they supposed to just randomly show up there to watch TV? Is that a rich people thing, these days?
Nah. Everything is by appointment. Even the wealthy can't just show up to watch tv there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

usr

by usr

So it's for when you had an appointment, but then someone even more wealthy shows up for a bike ;)

(The reality, I'd think, is that some of their customers would rather wait for their bike today than get another appointment next week)