Competitive Cyclist shipping to Canada

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Wow.. so are these companies now attempting to make money off shipping too?
Just ordered a few 160mm Ekar Rotors and some gravel tires.. selected the normal UPS delivery to Canada, $50 US shipping to Canada... so almost $70...
I get the tracking info only to find out its been sent GROUND.. normally that $50 is 2 day service...
When I ran the numbers for shipping costs, should have been about $20 via ground...
Im gonna contact them today, but Im sure I'll get no where with them... If I knew this I would have just selected the US postal internaltional for half the price and waited an extra 2 days seeing how the UPS delivery isnt scheduled for delivery til next week...

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have never had much luck with shipping from the US to Can and the brokerage fees they charge at the border. I rarely get that with shipping from the UK. Normally if I order from the US I just ship it to Port Huron SCC warehouse and drive across the border to pick it up. Since Covid I have not been across the border. Maybe at some point soon I will be able to cross without all the Covid protocal.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

I don't know about Canada, but shipping to Hawaii (which a surprising number of people seem to forget is an actual U.S. state) has become exorbitant on Competitive Cyclist. So much so that I don't order from them unless I have no other options. In the past, I ordered from them a lot.

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

If you don't want to deal with brokerage, make sure you select the USPS option so it ends up with Canada Post. Hopefully CC will compensate accordingly. I recently ordered some tires/rotors/derailleur pulleys from Excel and it was $50 USD for USPS shipping....steep but still cheaper and actually available.

I used to use a parcel service in Blaine WA, but yeah the pandemic has killed that off for the past 2 years. I live VERY close to the border, and have done a couple of rides across in the USA this month and it has been pretty smooth. I will hopefully resume use of parcel services soon.

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

Ive also noticed that Universal Cycles has pretty well doubled up on their costs to Canada as well.. its a total joke.. and then as noted UPS brokerage takes a $10 processing fee on top of all the PST/GST.. We have a shipping depot in North Dakota as well, but its an hour drive to the border each way.. crossing into the USA is never a problem..its always the BS coming back home... plus at the price of gas these days, 200km on the car and 2.5 hours of driving is hardly worth the savings anymore.. Ive ordered Campagnolo Bora wheels from Europe that should have been taxed several hundreds in tax, and they get delivered free... its such a hit n miss

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I hit the jackpot last fall when I ordered a set of Bora Ones and Record mech groupset disc brake from the UK and they slid through the border no fees. That would never happen coming from the US.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

ParisCarbon

by ParisCarbon

bikeboy1tr wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 3:28 am
I hit the jackpot last fall when I ordered a set of Bora Ones and Record mech groupset disc brake from the UK and they slid through the border no fees. That would never happen coming from the US.
Yep..I regulary luck out like that..especilly from bike24 since they just use the DHL post system... what Ive noticed from Germany to Canada is the stuff only ships every 2 weeks out on a Tuesday on an Air Canada flight to Toronto.. so if you get lucky you can get your stuff within a few days of the order date, or you may actually be waiting 3 weeks.. The biggest laugh I had was when my Bora WTOs arrived tax free, and then my second order of Morgan Blue chain cleaner and oil , and some inner tubes got taxed $14 LOL I laughed and gladly paid the $14

As for my Competitve Cyclist order... they didnt really say much except for that was the shipping costs they were quoted and thats what they charge.. now I also did notice for what they sent the size of the box was literally double what it should have been.. for 2 foldable gravel tires and 2 Ekar 160mm rotors I could have easily fit anpther 4 tires in the same size box....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GonaSovereign

by GonaSovereign

They have no incentive to trim the box down to the correct size (time = money) and so will ship a chain pin in a bike box if it's easiest. You of course pay based on dimensions or weight....whichever is more.
Shipping costs have gone up with fuel costs, but shipping is clearly a profitable business.