2022 PRO equipment thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spartacus wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:38 am

I didn't say aero doesn't matter I'm just saying I don't think the outcome of the race was because of any theoretical difference between bikes.

It doesn’t matter what you think though. There’s no objective way of knowing if Mads was able to snap the elastic because of a minor aero advantage in a key moment when the breakaway formed. There’a no point in speculating.

It simply comes down to which bike you’d rather have for specific stages if you have that freedom.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

I guess todays stage at Velta Burgos proves that the new S5 is likely the fastest bike in the Peloton for the appropriate parcour considering Jumbo finished stage 2 going 1-2-3 with the B/C team riders. The crash was brutal and just shows you need to keep a good grip on the bars when holding the tops. Obviously it takes a quaality rider to get the most out of his equipment and this proves that Marginal tech gains make a difference. Yes, the mass carnage from the crash made a difference but the S5 continues to win all over includig a sprint stage at Pologne.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

yes he lost his front wheel on the speed bump
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

spartacus

by spartacus

skinnybex wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:00 pm
I guess todays stage at Velta Burgos proves that the new S5 is likely the fastest bike in the Peloton for the appropriate parcour considering Jumbo finished stage 2 going 1-2-3 with the B/C team riders. The crash was brutal and just shows you need to keep a good grip on the bars when holding the tops. Obviously it takes a quaality rider to get the most out of his equipment and this proves that Marginal tech gains make a difference. Yes, the mass carnage from the crash made a difference but the S5 continues to win all over includig a sprint stage at Pologne.
Yeah I'm sure the rece result was totally because of the bike and had nothing to do with them being the strongest team and being lucky to make it through the crash. I've never been on a forum where people drink the kool aid so hard about on-paper specs rofl.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

spartacus wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:28 pm
skinnybex wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 6:00 pm
Yeah I'm sure the rece result was totally because of the bike and had nothing to do with them being the strongest team and being lucky to make it through the crash. I've never been on a forum where people drink the kool aid so hard about on-paper specs rofl.
Lol, I speciffacly posted this just to get you keyed up and I succeded. Actually I believe it's the rider ability and mindset which makes any one person rise above others. What I will say is if I rode a specific segment in a controlled envirement on Bike A "S5" and then repeated on bike B "SL7" with all variables being the same like wind, clothing and freshness then that is the determining factor of what is a marginal gain. The 2023 S5 is what I'd choose for that 5-10w advantage.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

There’s no Kool-Aid. It’s been independently tested faster than an SL7. No amount of weight savings will make the SL7 faster on flat ground. Even >1kg of weight difference wouldn’t make the SL7 faster on a 5% grade.

spartacus

by spartacus

I believe that it tests faster in a wind tunnel but I think there's too many variables at play to claim that any of the top bikes affect race outcomes versus another top bike. If that were the case then there would be tons of people raising a ruckus about being disadvantaged, but in reality there's always mixtures of gradients and wind conditions and the difference between one frame and the next is just noise.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:49 pm
There’s no Kool-Aid. It’s been independently tested faster than an SL7. No amount of weight savings will make the SL7 faster on flat ground. Even >1kg of weight difference wouldn’t make the SL7 faster on a 5% grade.
I did a ride from my hotel in Cupertino and went all the way to the coast and back to my start point. 112 miles total and about 7,500' elevation and I rode my Caledonia 5 which is 7.6kg but I'd easily have chosen the S5 which would be 8.2kg equiped with the same groupset and likely been 8-10 minutes faster even though the weight difference is about .6kg less, One short climb called Mt. Madonna was 6.4km at 8% and was torn up and in bad shape and I'd still take the Aero bike because I'd make up that time difference on the flatter more rolling terrain. Also the wind factor can't be underestimated and usually an Aero bike tends to be a more aggresive bike fit which usually tucks you in more.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

spartacus wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:11 pm
I believe that it tests faster in a wind tunnel but I think there's too many variables at play to claim that any of the top bikes affect race outcomes versus another top bike. If that were the case then there would be tons of people raising a ruckus about being disadvantaged, but in reality there's always mixtures of gradients and wind conditions and the difference between one frame and the next is just noise.
Not really, when your a Pro and you sign a contract with that specific team your also commiting to the equipment thats being supplied for an entire season. Would you rather have ridden the Oltre 3 last season that BEX rode or the 2022 S5 that Jumbo rode ?

spartan

by spartan

mmm so lotto jumbo is using vittoria non-speed tires right :) slow tire. tarmac sl7 on sworks cotton(ok they have some super secret tubeless version) are 2 watts faster. 4 watts saving both wheels.

see https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

if you look at ineos pinarello dogma f are on conti 5k TR so 3+ watts per wheel.

do some math Tobin. let us be serious these minor aero/rr gains do not determine the winner in any stage race. the cervelo fan boys are just happy wins justify the purchase.

a well deserved reaming from the legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8UezpQw4TU

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Quoting Hambini ... or Durianrider or Oz Cycle does not give you any credibility.

I agree that teams should care more about tires. BTW JV used Corsa Speeds when it mattered most this year.

https://i.imgur.com/NFGixBe.jpg

It's literally insane to me that Movistar primarily uses tubs, but perhaps it's not that surprising considering they're literally in the basement in terms of season results. Every little bit helps.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

A friend is riding for Movistar and he says most of their officials live in the past. They don't trust new stuff and don't even want to try. Wether its material, training, nutrition,...

spartacus

by spartacus

spartan wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 12:29 am
mmm so lotto jumbo is using vittoria non-speed tires right :) slow tire. tarmac sl7 on sworks cotton(ok they have some super secret tubeless version) are 2 watts faster. 4 watts saving both wheels.

see https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/

if you look at ineos pinarello dogma f are on conti 5k TR so 3+ watts per wheel.

do some math Tobin. let us be serious these minor aero/rr gains do not determine the winner in any stage race. the cervelo fan boys are just happy wins justify the purchase.

a well deserved reaming from the legend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8UezpQw4TU

TobinHatesYou wrote:
lmao not to mention the narrowest bars you can get on the s5 are 38cm so the fact that yo can get narrower bars on the sl7 if you want to means it's all a wash in the end. And yeah 19lb $9000 bike once you add pedals so that's not ideal since climbs do in fact exist outside of internet debates.

spartacus

by spartacus

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Weight is literally not even relevant on flat ground since there's no gravitational acceleration. In theory anyway.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

spartacus wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 3:57 pm

lmao not to mention the narrowest bars you can get on the s5 are 38cm so the fact that yo can get narrower bars on the sl7 if you want to means it's all a wash in the end. And yeah 19lb $9000 bike once you add pedals so that's not ideal since climbs do in fact exist outside of internet debates.
I never claimed the SL7 isn't a better bike for some stages. I claimed pure aero bikes are better for flat, rolling, and even some hilly/mountain stages if the climbs are front-loaded.

So yes, like I said, the tipping point for fast amateurs is around 6%. For pros the tipping point might actually be around 7-8%...You pretty much just need to be exceeding 13
mph on the climb.

In real-world terms. Most non-GC/climber types vying for a stage win are never going to win on a course where an all-rounder/light bike is the clear choice. Only a select few individuals like WvA are versatile enough to occasionally beat the GCers on stages like 2x Ventoux in 2021 with an R5.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com