2022 PRO equipment thread

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

ooo

by ooo

4gb zip file with 8091 giro bikes pics 06.05-29.05.2022: link 1, link 2.
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eurostar

by eurostar

How much do this year's flat stage bikes weigh, excluding bottle and head unit?

GaBa

by GaBa

Too much 😂

jcrr

by jcrr

Which wheels did Wout ride to the win on Stage 4?
"If it ain't broken, it could be lighter"

ConfusedRob

by ConfusedRob

Believe, may be wrong, that he was on 9200 C50s?

ooo

by ooo

Jumbo-Visma drink sponsor?

Image Image

'

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

will follow this thread with huge interest!! Just stumbled across the 2021 recently and was waiting for 2022 to pop up (cool emoji with sunglasses insert here)

C36

by C36

Probably better here than where I initially posted it.
——————
Few things seen at the Alpe d’Huez
- most Canyon riders were on the Aerohead
- all Giant riders were on the aero frame
- new Cadex “ultra” have much wider spokes
- Wout was on Corsa speed tires
- some jumbo wheels appear to have silicon at the rim interface (but not on Wout bike for example).
- Darimo seat-post on main and spare Factor bikes
- most tires I saw were 25mm (BnB, few jumbo, bike exchange, few ineos) but that was not a wide sample.
- brake pads were changed after the stage and some discs didn’t last more than one stage.

Supersix evo2 HM - 5.9 stiff-aero version, 5.6kg light specs.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

C36 wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:00 pm
- brake pads were changed after the stage and some discs didn’t last more than one stage.
Because they can, I guess. I have something like 5000mi on my current semi-metallic pads and 15000mi on rotors.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

New cranksets for Cofidis! They now have a version of the Origin spider that fits Campy chainrings

C36

by C36

TobinHatesYou wrote:
C36 wrote:
Because they can, I guess. I have something like 5000mi on my current semi-metallic pads and 15000mi on rotors.
Front disc was cooked.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

C36 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:06 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
C36 wrote:
Front disc was cooked.

That makes zero sense in dry conditions. Pros aren’t braking enough to ruin disc-brake rotors in one grand tour, let alone one stage. Have you never ridden road disc or what?

C36

by C36

TobinHatesYou wrote:
C36 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:06 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
C36 wrote:
Front disc was cooked.

That makes zero sense in dry conditions. Pros aren’t braking enough to ruin disc-brake rotors in one grand tour, let alone one stage. Have you never ridden road disc or what?
Tobin being Tobin… I had a mechanic in front of me changing a discs with overheat marks and asking him he told me this (particular) disc had one stage.
Now I will be pleased to see him again at Hautacam stage and tell him he was all wrong cause Tobin said so… Image

And yes I had and still have few disc bikes… but I don't see why it would be relevant to what happened during the Alpe d'Huez stage

eurostar

by eurostar

Who had to stop pedalling the other day because of a front puncture? I forgot to make a note of it. I wonder if he was thinking "I wish I was still on tubs"?

Majka must have been equally pissed off today with his team's chain sponsor.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

C36 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 10:34 pm

Tobin being Tobin… I had a mechanic in front of me changing a discs with overheat marks and asking him he told me this (particular) disc had one stage.
Now I will be pleased to see him again at Hautacam stage and tell him he was all wrong cause Tobin said so… Image

And yes I had and still have few disc bikes… but I don't see why it would be relevant to what happened during the Alpe d'Huez stage

I can't disprove what you are saying, so I'm just going to say you saw one thing, but inferred another.

My rotors have tempering marks. Anything brownish gold to a hint of red is fine. Blue or purple would be bad, not really because of structural integrity issues in the rotor, but for the implications it would have on pad wear. I've literally dragged my brakes down a 1500m descent behind caravans of cars without destroying an already well-loved rotor.

Think about it in these terms. The pros descended Galibier to Lautaret in just over 8 minutes. The average WW poster probably takes ~14 minutes judging by Miller's Glandon video on YouTube. There are people who take over 20 minutes on that descent who are on disc-brakes generating a lot more heat during prolonged brake dragging with less effective air cooling since they are going slower. These people's rotors would be far worse off and we'd hear about it endlessly.