Swiss pass advice

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

tommyb

by tommyb

In eight weeks time I'm taking a group of 30 riders from Innerkirchen to Bellinzona - between Innerkirchen and Airolo there's a number of pass options - San Gotthard, Furka, Susten, Nufenen - it's not possible to all of them going point to point, anyone able to recommend the best route?

basilic

by basilic

Do you mean in one day?
I think the must-do roads for out-of-towners are the Oberaarsee extension from Grimsel pass, and the Gothard climb from Airolo (descending it is not quite as rewarding). The other passes are beautiful but exchangeable imo.
Susten from Innertkirchen is a wonderful climb but then you have to ride up to Andermatt, and Göschenen to Andermatt is quite bad (traffic!! tunnels!!), although if you stick to the marked bike route you'll avoid many of the tunnels/galleries, and will get to see the Devil's bridge.
I think I'd go Grimsel (with the extension), Nufenen, then Gothard from Airolo, and back down all the way to Bellinzona. (If you wanted to avoid backtracking you' ride over Oberalp and Lukmanier, but that would be a huge day.) If someone was cooked after the Nufenen pass they can freewheel all the way to Bellinzone (almost).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

tommyb

by tommyb

Yep one day, that's great advice thank you!

Currently this is our route, happy to hear your thoughts on changing it - https://www.strava.com/routes/2912766721279305794

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I defer to the Swiss members, but second any recommendation of the Gotthard. It is unique among mountain passes and should not be missed. (And much easier that it looks, but you don't have to tell anyone that :wink: )
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

basilic

by basilic

Sure, your route works. Be sure to stay on the bike route above Göschenen, following the wine colored arrows. In the summer the traffic on the main road will be bad. On this map, when you zoom in, you'll see details, and photos of the road (click on Cycling routes and photos in the menu) https://map.schweizmobil.ch/. Here the tunnel bypass near the devil's bridge:

But imo while Susten pass is great, the second half of the day will be a notch down, especially until you get to Hospental, and you'll descend the cobblestone road from Gothard pass (same as mr Gib's picture). It's not steep, it was built with horse-drawn carriages in mind.

What I proposed (Grimsel/Nufenen plus Gothard) should have less traffic, and you get to climb the cobblestone road (and descend it too...). It adds mabe 900m and 30-40 km, which it makes it a 4000m day. Your Strava map puts your estimated average speed at 35km/h, if that reflects your usual performance you guys might be extraterrestrials as far as I'm concerned and will have no trouble with a third climb.
To entice you, pics of the Oberaarsee extension from Grimsel pass (on the right; lower left is the main Grimsel road).

Also, are you aware that you are skipping one of the best cycling roads in the Alps, the Grosse Scheidegg between Grindelwald and Meiringen/Innertkirchen.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Hang on a second. Descending the cobbles on the Gotthard? Going toward Andermatt there is only a short cobble section on that descent. My taint and hands are still buzzing years later. Going the other way? Big soft tires if you must. The whole place is incredible, you'll have an epic day.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

tommyb

by tommyb

This is great! Thanks for the input guys, awesome! :thumbup:

diecast

by diecast

I'm looking for some advice about traveling to the area for cycling. Would the 3rd or 4th week in June be ok, or is this too early? (Likelihood of bad weather or passes being closed etc)

Thanks

Konsi

by Konsi

Looking at how little snow there is at the moment, I would be surprised if anything would be closed after mid-May. Really bad weather can always happen, but June should be fine, and not yet too warm. I did Brig - Nufenen - Gotthard - Susten - Große Scheidegg on a weekend mid-June last year and we had perfect conditions.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Even in the height of summer, at 2000 meters be prepared clotheswise for low single digits and serious rain. Charming afternoon showers in town, can be a serious issue at the top of a pass, and Switzerland leads Europe in charming afternoon showers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

diecast

by diecast

Thanks. Of course there's no guarantees with weather, especially in the mountains. I just wanted to check it wasn't necessarily a bad time to go.

I've seen on www.alpen-paesse.ch that on occasion the Grosse Scheidege hasn't opened until 10th June but it looks like it's usually around 20th May.

I'll be sure to pack a rain jacket!