How to call an “easy” climb

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

jdecraene85

by jdecraene85

We actually use the term 'lopers' ('runners') for medium to long length climbs in the 4% to 6% gradient, so I really don't think 'false flat' is appropriate.
Unfortunately the term 'gradual climb' isn't either. 'Gradual' does not really imply a quantification, any grade or evolution in grade can be called 'gradual'.
Sorry, I don't know the most appropriate term either...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Flasher

by Flasher

ianeire wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 10:00 pm
A "drag".
:thumbup:

Karvalo

by Karvalo

jdecraene85 wrote:
Mon May 30, 2022 12:17 pm
We actually use the term 'lopers' ('runners') for medium to long length climbs in the 4% to 6% gradient, so I really don't think 'false flat' is appropriate.
Yeah that's definitely not a false flat. I don't think we really have a set word for it because most of the UK doesn't have many climbs that fit that description. Plus we don't have anywhere near as many of our own cycling terms in general. If we need a word we tend to just borrow one from the French or Italians.

That said, 'drag' is probably the closest you'll get.

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

I'd say you have,
Drags (what your asking about)
false flats these tend to be in-between climbs,
Rollers are smooth fast paced sections.
Power climbs which are short sharp hills
Then from me various explitives if they are actual proper climbs

Basso Diamante super record EPS 12
BMC slr01 ultegra Di2

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

spokenwords

by spokenwords

other options:
permanent head wind, energy drainer, annoying as all hell, slow torture, average speed buster, and of course the is it my aeroness or my weight that matters most right now.
"Notice how the door closes when the chimes of freedom ring." Joe Strummer
"this goes to 11" Nigel Tufnel
Dont move to Austin
Major Taylor rules.

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

Lots here unaware of what a false flat is. A false flat is a 1-2% section in between significantly steeper sections, hence it "feels" like it's flat. Just call it a gentle climb/incline.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Sammutd88 wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:15 am
Lots here unaware of what a false flat is. A false flat is a 1-2% section in between significantly steeper sections, hence it "feels" like it's flat. Just call it a gentle climb/incline.
Primarily a false flat isn't something that feels flat, it's something that looks flat. Doesn't need to be in between steep sections either, you can get completely standalone false flat sections on undulating terrain.

basilic

by basilic

In French we say "faux plat" for a road that may look flat but isn't, approximately 1-3%. When someone calls faux plat a section that you know is 5%, they're seriously in shape (affûté), or bragging.
We say "replat" for a flatter section between steeper sections. A replat can be really flat, e.g. along a dam lake (Grimsel, Roselend), a false flat (before Reposoir on Colombière - btw Reposoir means resting place), or steeper than that (plan Lachat on the way to Galibier), it's relative.
I don't think have a word for a moderate climb.