Flying abroad and taking your bike - tips please

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

vd91

by vd91

Due to go abroad in July (flying) with my bike in a hard bike box, and was just looking for answers to a couple of questions and also general tips when taking your bike abroad.

I'm running SRAM AXS, so my thoughts are remove the batteries prior to flying and take my charger just in case. Also take spare coin cells just in case the shifters go for some reason.

Running tubeless tyres currently, whats the best thing to do here? Deflate and take some sealant to top up when im there? Set them up with tubes for the holiday?

Other than that, minor kit list is
- spare tubes
- tyre levers
- pocket hand pump (can't take co2 on the plane in any capacity)
- torque wrench
- multi tool
- anything else?

Thanks in advance! Also no horror stories about airlines destroying peoples bikes please :shock:

Magpie

by Magpie

Only partially deflate your tyres, so not to let any sealant escape.The maximum increase in tyre pressure due to increased elevation is 1 atm, ie 14psi

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

In an airplane fuselage it's more like 2-3psi difference.
I usually drop tires to about 30/40psi to protect the rims.
Depending on how hard your hard box is, I'd also remove discs and rear mech. As they are either exposed or easy to damage. Or both.
Also, if you're using QRs, take them out of the hubs, easy to bend the end over when they aren't in a frame and tight.
Spacers in the dropouts too. Seen too many frames crushed. Take a pedal spanner too, nothing else than not being able to get the pedals off on the last day of a holiday...

nickf

by nickf

I just came back from Roubaix and Ireland with my bike. Orucase airport ninja. I deflated the tires completely. Setup tubeless with sealant. The tires stayed on the bead so all I had to do is inflate. Remove rear derr, disc rotors, and pedals. When I pack the bike I like it to be in one piece once it's broken down, everything secured with velcro straps. So if TSA has to inspect there are no loose bits floating about, just a bike, and 2 wheels on either side.

For tools, I bring a set of allen wrenches, 5mn torque key, mini pump, spare tubes, Bontrager travel floor pump, and a larger multi-tool with a chain tool built-in. They all go into a shoe bag together with the rotors, orucase has a built-in pocket for tool storage. My helmet, shoes, and kit go into my luggage.

The fork is strapped under the downtube, and the saddle is strapped between the rear seat stays. Takes me around 20 min to build/pack.

gorkypl

by gorkypl

I think everything was mentioned already. I personally don't bother with rotors, but always remove rear mech. Tire pressure drop by 1atm is sufficient, spacers in frame and fork are a must and pedal wrench can save a lot of hassle. Mark the saddle position before removal and remember that you shuld be able to buy anything that you may have forgotten, so don't sweat over it.

Fuji Cross 1.5 - Shimano 105 5800 | Cinelli Superstar Disc - Record 12s | Custom steel Karamba - Ekar 13s

n1ey

by n1ey

Magpie wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 6:25 am
Only partially deflate your tyres, so not to let any sealant escape.The maximum increase in tyre pressure due to increased elevation is 1 a
Your math is off. Anyways, security has deflated the tires for me. They will open the case and inspect. Next, they let the air out of the tires.

I recommend touring on aluminum rims.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinya

by yinya

Some airports allow you to leave up to 4 co2 cartridges. Others none.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk