CT: EXPOSED BY A STRAVA KOM

Questions about bike hire abroad and everything light bike related. No off-topic chat please

Moderators: robbosmans, Moderator Team

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dr.Dos

by Dr.Dos

One of the craziest cycling related stories ever.

smartyiak

by smartyiak

BONKERS!

Maddie

by Maddie

That's some crazyness next level...

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I don't understand these stories they put out that try to embarass someone. That guy isn't even really a public figure. There's bullshitters everywhere, why does this guy deserve this level of embarrassment?

Note: I only read the first few sections before I was put off by the article. Maybe he starts ruining people's lives in the end, I don't know.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

jfranci3 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:08 pm
Note: I only read the first few sections before I was put off by the article. Maybe he starts ruining people's lives in the end, I don't know.
When a serial fantasist / narcissist / pathological liar starts a women's team and it turns out the way you would expect it to turn out... public embarrassment is the very least that *f##k* head deserves.

Think about it - what if he rocked up in your town and started coaching your daughter and there were a bunch of people out there who could have warned you but didn't, because they thought it would be unfair to embarrass him?

AJS914

by AJS914

Fascinating. I think when you make yourself a fake public figure (degrees, CEO, ex-world champion), insert yourself into a cycling community, you are fair game for such an article.

The crazy thing is that he could have just stopped after he opened his bike shop. It seems like he could have had a successful shop without the fake jerseys and medals.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

AJS914 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:25 pm
The crazy thing is that he could have just stopped after he opened his bike shop. It seems like he could have had a successful shop without the fake jerseys and medals.
When you're the kind of person who gets into that position in the first place, you're not the kind of person who will ever think that way.

AJS914

by AJS914

Sure, it's pathological. He's already doing it again in the gun community.

HammerTime2
Location: Wherever there's a mountain beckoning to be climbed

by HammerTime2

I guess like Oscar Wilde, the article author didn't have enough time to write a shorter article.

Anyhow, I didn't read every word, but is it ever explained how he got the dubious Strava KOMs, including the one which supposedly led to his downfall, and serves as bait for the entire article?

AJS914

by AJS914

How would anyone know? But the low heart rate and low power number for a top 20 on Lemon is enough to guess e-bike or other vehicle.

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

HammerTime2 wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 5:20 pm
I guess like Oscar Wilde, the article author didn't have enough time to write a shorter article.

Anyhow, I didn't read every word, but is it ever explained how he got the dubious Strava KOMs, including the one which supposedly led to his downfall, and serves as bait for the entire article?
I tried to read a lot of it but this part is the only thing I am still curious about.

What about the KOMs ? How were they done and was it the KOMs that was the beginning and end to his downfall of a circus?

AJS914

by AJS914

The KOM was just a bookend to the article. Nobody can know how he motor doped his KOMs.

From about 10,000 words ago, you’ll remember that Clark either did – or didn’t, who even knows any more – take a Strava KOM. A disgruntled Strava rival told a friend about his doubts, who told another friend, who told another friend. Slowly, over a year or so, the strange story of the fabricated professional cycling career began to leak out.

One tipping point came in August 2020, when an elite-level Australian rider of the 1990s heard about the pro cyclist that never existed. A Facebook post he made went semi-viral among that community, attracting 345 comments. Some of those people – who worked hard for their own real-life pro careers and saw Clark’s deception as a sporting version of stolen valour – contacted teams that he said he was involved with, and some of them contacted ProBike FC.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

One look at the guy and it's pretty obvious he ain't no pro and never was. No need for all the investigative journalism. Paris Roubaix at age 42 with a big gut, yeah right. He doesn't even look decent sitting on a bike in the photos.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Sat Apr 30, 2022 4:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Honestly the nuttiest thing is that he reinvented himself as an SAS operator and is now "training" other toy soldiers. Stolen valor, crazed gun owners who cosplay as soldiers and are too stupid to notice? That's a powder keg right there.